Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Haven't downloaded the Dec "recall" update to autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will I be forced to at some point?
Possibly yes, although thus far Tesla has been very conservative and cautious with forced software updates.
Fell like it will be overly intrusive so I don't intend to download it. It it's as intrusive as some people are saying, I may sell the car.
I’ve noticed essentially zero difference with the way I drive.

Upvote 1
Will I be forced to at some point? Fell like it will be overly intrusive so I don't intend to download it. It it's as intrusive as some people are saying, I may sell the car.
No, but will be hard to avoid the updates. You'll be the guy running Windows 95 in 2024 and complaining you can't get a Bluetooth mouse to work on your PC.

FWIW, I really don't see what all the complaining is about. I saw no negative after the update and saw some really positive changes. Depending on the version of hardware you have, the red shading on the screen when there is a conflict during a lane change is wonderful.

Upvote 1
No, but will be hard to avoid the updates. You'll be the guy running Windows 95 in 2024 and complaining you can't get a Bluetooth mouse to work on your PC.

FWIW, I really don't see what all the complaining is about. I saw no negative after the update and saw some really positive changes. Depending on the version of hardware you have, the red shading on the screen when there is a conflict during a lane change is wonderful.

I've used it with both FSD and AP and I feel like the nags are notably worse. I don't use my phone when I'm driving and I do hold the steering wheel. What really started to piss me off was I could no longer interact with the MCU. I'm not even talking about touching it...just LOOKING at it for my next route change would trigger a warning. Good luck trying to choose a different charger midroute!

This won't work for FSD, but for AP...it's the system doesn't seem to care.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 2.11.10 PM.png

Upvote 0
I've used it with both FSD and AP and I feel like the nags are notably worse. I don't use my phone when I'm driving and I do hold the steering wheel. What really started to piss me off was I could no longer interact with the MCU. I'm not even talking about touching it...just LOOKING at it for my next route change would trigger a warning. Good luck trying to choose a different charger midroute!

This won't work for FSD, but for AP...it's the system doesn't seem to care.

View attachment 1014815
It's strange that some people are getting significantly increased nags while others didn't see much of a difference since the holiday update. I'm in the group that haven't noticed much of a difference since the holiday update, and I often select stuff in Apple Music and Podcast while driving and using AP.

Upvote 0
I also haven’t installed the update, but I have driven a car with it. The annoying thing to me is that the nags are initiated with pretty loud beeps now. On older versions you’d just get a warning on the screen to start and it would give you plenty of time to apply torque. Now, if you look at the screen or to the side for more than a few seconds you get immediate beeps.

Upvote 0
I tend to avoid updates unless the update includes something that I want changed. I do not have wifi at my parking spot so updates are a pain in the ass, requiring me to go somewhere else to download and possibly to install (so my car isn't underground if the update bricks my car.) I have no objection to the contents of this update, I also have no interest in any of the shiny things this holiday update offered.

By avoiding this one, so far I've actually avoided two updates to the updates. In total, I've been offered 3 updates since the recall was announced and two of those offers were rescinded, later replaced with the update that included the fixes to the previous updates. With that sort of track record by tesla, I recommend everyone let someone else be the guinea pig and save their time.

I fully expect to have this one pushed to me over LTE at some point due to the recall. I've had previous updates pushed over LTE (including our first one.)

So I wait. I'm holding out now because I'm also trying to see if my recollection is correct, that LTE pushed updates are also installed with no action triggered by me. Others on the forums claim this isn't the case and I or the other driver must have selected "install" either on the screen or the app. We don't think we did.

As for never having to update, this is only true if you never take your car into tesla for service. You agreed to keeping your car up to date with the software when you purchased it, and when you 'fall behind' they will helpfully bring you up to date automatically (download and install) when your car arrives within their wifi range for an appointment.

Upvote 0
I also haven’t installed the update, but I have driven a car with it. The annoying thing to me is that the nags are initiated with pretty loud beeps now. On older versions you’d just get a warning on the screen to start and it would give you plenty of time to apply torque. Now, if you look at the screen or to the side for more than a few seconds you get immediate beeps.

Try applying more torque than you would normally apply when activating AP. It seems to prevent the initial warning for me.

Upvote 0
I tend to avoid updates unless the update includes something that I want changed. I do not have wifi at my parking spot so updates are a pain in the ass, requiring me to go somewhere else to download and possibly to install (so my car isn't underground if the update bricks my car.) I have no objection to the contents of this update, I also have no interest in any of the shiny things this holiday update offered.

By avoiding this one, so far I've actually avoided two updates to the updates. In total, I've been offered 3 updates since the recall was announced and two of those offers were rescinded, later replaced with the update that included the fixes to the previous updates. With that sort of track record by tesla, I recommend everyone let someone else be the guinea pig and save their time.
No WiFi? Just tether with your phone. As you avoid updates, remember that not every single change is going to be listed (esp with Tesla) and some of those may be considered safety related and yes, avoiding a single update means having to avoid every subsequent update after. Do you really want to do that? Why get a Tesla in the first place then? If something happens due to an issue that would've been fixed by an update, you have no legal recourse and carry a large burden of blame. Posting it on a forum helps too....
Will I be forced to at some point? Fell like it will be overly intrusive so I don't intend to download it. It it's as intrusive as some people are saying, I may sell the car.
Yes, just sell it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don’t have FSD and I didn’t give permission to use cabin camera (iirc). I have not noticed any difference in long drives with AP.
To confirm, you have only the base Autopilot and accepted one of the latest updates. At some point afterwards, the car prompted for permission to use the interior camera and you denied this permission and you've witnessed no adverse affects and your Autopilot functions exactly as before... even if you take your eyes off of the road (to look at the center screen, for instance) for longer periods of time?

Upvote 0
To confirm, you have only the base Autopilot and accepted one of the latest updates. At some point afterwards, the car prompted for permission to use the interior camera and you denied this permission and you've witnessed no adverse affects and your Autopilot functions exactly as before... even if you take your eyes off of the road (to look at the center screen, for instance) for longer periods of time?
I denied permission to use cabin camera long ago, when it first asked. Yes, I have only base AP and installed December update but I was not asked to give permission for cabin camera again. My current software is 2023.44.30.8

Upvote 0
I denied permission to use cabin camera long ago, when it first asked. Yes, I have only base AP and installed December update but I was not asked to give permission for cabin camera again. My current software is 2023.44.30.8.
I believe we would have done the same when we first got this car although it's been about a year now so I genuinely can't recall for sure. My guess is that this is an oversight on Tesla's part and it will likely be addressed via a future update. You'll likely have to re-authorize AP and specifically the interior camera to enable Autopilot. Failing to allow will likely also make AP inaccessible is my guess.

Upvote 0
I did not authorize the cabin camera to be used, either, when that notice came a couple years ago. However, my recollection of the notice was not as you're describing. I believe the notice said that this opt-in would be for the purpose of using the resulting footage outside the car - in an anonymous way as they always seem to say.

I phrase it that way because I think there was no opt-in or out for the car to use the camera for driver gaze management. As a closed system the car will use the camera for that purpose whether you agree or not, as long as any resulting footage doesn't leave the car for other usage.

I have had my cabin camera covered for probably 3 years now. A simple small square of black electrical tape. There is no affect on basic autopilot. I have tested monthly FSD with it, and was required to remove the cover for FSD operation. I have determined the relentless nagging of FSD is of negative value to me, and prefer basic autopilot.

Upvote 0
I did not authorize the cabin camera to be used, either, when that notice came a couple years ago. However, my recollection of the notice was not as you're describing. I believe the notice said that this opt-in would be for the purpose of using the resulting footage outside the car - in an anonymous way as they always seem to say.

I phrase it that way because I think there was no opt-in or out for the car to use the camera for driver gaze management. As a closed system the car will use the camera for that purpose whether you agree or not, as long as any resulting footage doesn't leave the car for other usage.

I have had my cabin camera covered for probably 3 years now. A simple small square of black electrical tape. There is no affect on basic autopilot. I have tested monthly FSD with it, and was required to remove the cover for FSD operation. I have determined the relentless nagging of FSD is of negative value to me, and prefer basic autopilot.
This was my assumption too; with this new "safety" update the interior camera was compulsory or you didn't get FSD.

You did say something that was of extreme interest to me however: it seems as though you're stating that there is a separation from the base Autopilot function and FSD in terms of the interior camera. Is this correct? Can you cover my interior camera w/tape as you described and continue to use the base Autopilot exactly as I use it currently w/o fear of being locked out due to not having my gaze fixed on the road? Is the interior camera only a requirement for FSD after the new update?

Upvote 0