Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Charging Stations/Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the ChargePoint charger at the Blaisdell is back up. it has been down for over a month. I haven't checked since last week, but two weeks ago and then again last week the charger behind Menchies at ward has been giving me a cable fault. I reported it to Volta but they had not fixed it .(as of last week)

Volta is terrible at fixing their broken equipment. The Menchies charger has had cable faults all the time. At Pearlridge downtown (the one with Longs), there are 3 Volta units, but when I was there last week, only 1 was operational. The Volta units at Kahala are frequently down (probably because of overuse since those two are ALWAYS occupied). I heard that Volta also maintains the equipment at Aina Haina, which also has not worked for a while. I guess you get what you pay for.

In happier news, the charger at Hawaii Prince is now free (provided you have a Chargepoint card to swipe & activate - good luck getting cell signal to remote activate in that concrete bunker of a garage). I'm also loving the chargers at IMP in Waikiki and SALT in Kakaako.

Reactions: spleen and nanimac
wholefoods.jpg

Looks like the chargers at Kailua Whole Foods are Tesla'd out again! We're seeing more of the 6,000 and 7,000 numbers on the road now. Akikiki, remember back in the day when you could get a three digit number if you knew where to go?

View attachment 214530
Looks like the chargers at Kailua Whole Foods are Tesla'd out again! We're seeing more of the 6,000 and 7,000 numbers on the road now. Akikiki, remember back in the day when you could get a three digit number if you knew where to go?
the question is... will the new Whole Foods at ward have it's own chargers or rely on the existing chargers for all those Whole Foods customers that are used to having chargers in the Whole Foods parking lot.

Has anyone found where the charger at Costco Hawaii Kai is located? I'm not talking about the Blink charger outside of Yogurtland/GNC. According to the Semaconnect site, Plugshare, and the EV Hawaii app, it seems there's a second charger located somewhere (inside?) near Costco. I'm pretty familiar with the location, and I don't recall ever seeing another charger.

I was just there the other day and I haven't seen one there .... but then, I haven't been looking either, maybe it's on the tire side of the Costco building? I usually park on the longs side of the building and haven't seen it.

Oh and since we don't have a supercharger, why not let us charge at the stores. Even after hours they fill all their spots at Ala Moana. They don't do that many test drives that they need to keep every inventory car at a full charge.
Sure would help since Ala Moana is such a dump to charge.

Sure would be nice if our service center could get a supercharger. Since they are already leasing the property why not put one there, it would be their easiest option.

Not enough space to put a Supercharger plus they need to tap into the grid to power it so requires HECO approval. Heard they need around 600-700sf minimum which is probably just for 1 or 2. Good news is they are Finally actively looking for sites. A list has been sent to the Supercharger team several times.

Reactions: Akikiki
Ala Moana EV charging is a disgrace. It's sad that Hawaii's largest mall with the most parking spaces has less stalls available than malls 1/3 the size. Howard Hughes should be ashamed.
:) Wow, that's being pretty rough on Howard. He always said such kind things about you. And I guess you didn't know Howard does not own Ala Moana Center. I think General Growth Properties still owns Ala Moana. Howard probably won't twitter back at ya though, since he passed in 1976.

Sorry, I just could not resist. ;)

Last edited:
Someone told me they took out the Ala Moana chargers that they used to have, and that they are using the Tesla showroom chargers to fulfill the electric vehicle charger requirement for the state. Which sounds kind of messed up because those are not public use.

• Informative
Reactions: StephenM
Someone told me they took out the Ala Moana chargers that they used to have, and that they are using the Tesla showroom chargers to fulfill the electric vehicle charger requirement for the state. Which sounds kind of messed up because those are not public use.

That's messed up if true. Lowers my respect for them even more.

In other happier news, it sounds like Tesla is getting really serious about its supercharger expansion program, which means we might see the long-awaited "coming soon" supercharger here coming sooner. o_O:confused:

Speaking of Superchargers, I recently went down to the Honolulu Home Depot and spoke with the store manager about allowing Tesla to install Superchargers in the 2nd floor of the Home Depot parking structure. He was receptive, but I am not a Tesla rep and could not give specifics. I then wrote a detailed explanation with location and contact plus my name too and posted it Tesla via their Supercharger form. If I hear back, I will post it here.

If anyone can help connect the dots between a property owner/manager here and Tesla's Supercharger team, please do so. Take the extra step of collecting the contact info from here and pass it to the SC Team. Maybe this will move the process along.

We do know that one of the biggest issues here in Hawaii for Tesla is property owner/manager permission.

Last edited:
Would love to see some Westside superchargers. Some good locations:

Koolina resort
Kapolei Commons shopping center
The new Kamakana mall in Ewa
Pearlridge shopping center
Airport
Haleiwa town
Sunset beach area, possibly turtle bay
Dole Plantation?