Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how many destination chargers can be built instead of one supercharger unit?
I think the islands are a perfect location for droves of destination chargers. Tourists renting a Tesla could simply park at a Dest Charger while eating, shopping, swimming, etc. Should more than satisfy their needs.

There's a full permit in the database now for "Tesla EV Charging station at Kahala Resort" at over $413k value:

Probably not a public charger, but still large enough to be interesting and worth watching.
Interesting, but my guess it's installation of destination chargers in their parking garage. It'll be great if you're going to Hoku's, Arancino or Plumeria Beach House. Perhaps Kahala hotel is following Lanai resorts and going to have a Model X/S fleet for hotel use.

I'm assuming that if it's "Tesla" destination chargers (aka high power wall chargers), it'll be free energy, since I'm not aware of a system or station that has pay capability?

Interesting, but my guess it's installation of destination chargers in their parking garage. It'll be great if you're going to Hoku's, Arancino or Plumeria Beach House. Perhaps Kahala hotel is following Lanai resorts and going to have a Model X/S fleet for hotel use.

I'm assuming that if it's "Tesla" destination chargers (aka high power wall chargers), it'll be free energy, since I'm not aware of a system or station that has pay capability?
We've been discussing this too. Don't think its destination chargers, because those would likely not need HECO approval. And the cost ! Wow. But I think you are right about capacity for a hotel owned fleet. We will see, maybe.

Just a note that Maui county appears to have retired their old Kivanet permit searching system and replaced it with a new system called MAPPS, which requires an account/login to access.
So for now, my automated permit scanning for Maui county is out of service. :(
But Honolulu permit scanning is still going! :cool:

In other news, the Tesla EV charger @ Kahala Resort permit has been "approved to issue" so construction could start soon:

Yeah, know that location. Single sided strip like shopping center. Likely a compliance EV charger as required by city for parking lots. That parking lot is very often full and difficult to find an empty space. Translation: Non-EVs will have no hesitation to park when there's not an EV in it charging.

• Informative
Reactions: TerranApart
Just a note that Maui county appears to have retired their old Kivanet permit searching system and replaced it with a new system called MAPPS, which requires an account/login to access.
So for now, my automated permit scanning for Maui county is out of service. :(
But Honolulu permit scanning is still going! :cool:

In other news, the Tesla EV charger @ Kahala Resort permit has been "approved to issue" so construction could start soon:
I checked with the resort and they confirm work has begun to install 12 Tesla charging stations. The value on the permit for this address aligns well with the other 12 stall Aiea supercharger. I think we should mark this site as permitted on supercharge.info, and given the permit status and feedback from the resort, consider marking it under construction.

New thread created for this site: Supercharger - Honolulu Kahala Resort

@tes-s @corywright.

Last edited:
I checked with the resort and they confirm work has begun to install 12 Tesla charging stations. The value on the permit for this address aligns well with the other 12 stall Aiea supercharger. I think we should mark this site as permitted on supercharge.info, and given the permit status and feedback from the resort, consider marking it under construction.

New thread created for this site: Supercharger - Honolulu Kahala Resort

@tes-s @corywright.
Thank you. And I agree ref: Supercharge.info. Would you care to do the honors? You have researched and have most info.

Supercharger map updated. Shows Aiea location opening next year (Not Pearlridge?) Nothing for Kahala Resort. 🤔🤔🤔

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 4.10.42 PM.png

Nope, and now Maui says Kahului (not just generically Maui) with a target of 2022. The fact that several places on the mainland where permits have just recently been granted have targets of Q1 2021 and Q2 2021 make me think that they are actually trying to be more accurate in their projections. Time will tell!
What happened to the Kahului site? Looks like it disappeared. And still absolutely no plans to put SC sites (at Kailua-Kona and Hilo) on the only island where it's really needed to drive everywhere in a single day...

It's not Tesla directly, but there's a $250k permit for Hertz "EV charger rollout" at their airport rental area.

Seeing as Hertz is buying a massive quantity of model 3 and Y, hopefully this means they are building up the charging infrastructure to match.

Reactions: nanimac
It's not Tesla directly, but there's a $250k permit for Hertz "EV charger rollout" at their airport rental area.

Seeing as Hertz is buying a massive quantity of model 3 and Y, hopefully this means they are building up the charging infrastructure to match.
Interesting. I actually saw quite a few Model 3's in the Avis/Budget section of OGG's parking garage:

PXL_20220730_215617381.jpg

Hertz isn't the only company renting EVs in Hawaii and hopefully they have some competition.