Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maui - Kahului
Very strange. If I do a trip to Hana and back from Kāʻanapali and I don't leave with enough in the battery, I'm definitely stopping at Lowe's. 🤣

Seriously, why don't they just put the site at the Maui Mall? A quick stop at the Tasaka Guri Guri shop for dessert likely gets you enough charge to go wherever you are going. This *should* be an inconvenient location for anyone returning along the southern route BUT, due to there being no road from Ulupalakua to Wailea/Kīhei, you're basically forced to return through Kahului, so Maui Mall isn't that far out of the way.

Both Kona and Hilo have made it onto this quarters Supercharging voting. When we were on the Big Island late last year, I rented a 2021 Model 3 SR+ via Turo. Lived on L2 at a local shopping center near Kona the whole time. The biggest problem was the day we went to Volcanoes. We ended up taking a different vehicle. So I would definitely vote for the Bake shop as a third location - if it were a possibility.

I asked my Turo host if his car supported the CCS adapter, and told him how to check. He told me to bring my adapter - which I did. (Made for a Moment when bringing it through airport security...). But it turned out his car had a nerfed charge port ECU. So CCS was a nogo.

Both Kona and Hilo have made it onto this quarters Supercharging voting. When we were on the Big Island late last year, I rented a 2021 Model 3 SR+ via Turo. Lived on L2 at a local shopping center near Kona the whole time. The biggest problem was the day we went to Volcanoes. We ended up taking a different vehicle. So I would definitely vote for the Bake shop as a third location - if it were a possibility.

I asked my Turo host if his car supported the CCS adapter, and told him how to check. He told me to bring my adapter - which I did. (Made for a Moment when bringing it through airport security...). But it turned out his car had a nerfed charge port ECU. So CCS was a nogo.
I remember the charging stations at the bake shop having CHAdeMO connectors, and I remember them being 50 kW max. So it seems like you should bring a CHAdeMO adapter as this would work with all Teslas.

... CCS adapter, ... He told me to bring my adapter .... (Made for a Moment when bringing it through airport security...).

I wonder what what problem the TSA found? There is no battery, only wires, connectors, and maybe one thermistor.

I asked my Turo host if his car supported the CCS adapter, and told him how to check .... But it turned out his car had a nerfed charge port ECU. So CCS was a nogo.

Don't you mentioned that you checked if it was CCS Enabled?

I wonder what what problem the TSA found? There is no battery, only wires, connectors, and maybe one thermistor.

I had it in my carry-on bag. It wasn't a computer or a cell phone, so I didn't separate it out into one of the bins. They flagged my bag and had to do a search on it. On the return flight, I separated it out and no problem.

Don't you mentioned that you checked if it was CCS Enabled?

When he told me to bring the adapter, I had assumed (and we all know what "assume" really means...) he had followed my directions to see if the adapter was supported in his car. Unfortunately it seems he hadn't. Nice fellow though. In other respects, it was a good rental.

Just wish the charging infrastructure was better. The place we stayed at didn't even have a 120V receptacle by the parking lot. So I was very dependent on the L2 charging station at the shopping center. It was a Blink L2. I hadn't used my Blink account in several years. Fortunately it worked fine. I also used a couple of Chargepoint L2s. In one case, I ended up helping another fellow who was renting a Turo Model 3 get his car working with Chargepoint. He'd been charging it where he was staying, on 120V, and the receptacle failed...

Reactions: Watts_Up
A new permit for "electrical infrastructure to support future EV charging stations" at Hokua in Ala Moana:
Thanks. Interesting. From Google Maps it looks like that is a residential high rise that's adding owner/resident charging. Gonna make a leap here. Likely not going to be public charging. It may help in a small manner by taking moving some cars currently publicly charging to private access charging. But I would predict we would not notice the 'adjustment" in demand. Always nice to see high rises in downtown or near Waikiki to add charging to their building. We've a loooong way to go.

Reactions: TerranApart
Thanks. Interesting. From Google Maps it looks like that is a residential high rise that's adding owner/resident charging. Gonna make a leap here. Likely not going to be public charging. It may help in a small manner by taking moving some cars currently publicly charging to private access charging. But I would predict we would not notice the 'adjustment" in demand. Always nice to see high rises in downtown or near Waikiki to add charging to their building. We've a loooong way to go.
There are pretty good rebates from Hawaii Energy for condo projects and businesses to install/add new chargers. Hopefully, those incentives are helping getting more chargers installed :)

We should be on the lookout for the permits for the first set of NEVI funded fast chargers at Aloha Tower. DOT says they're supposed to be installed by year-end.

Had a chance conversation with an electrical engineer from HECO, that may partially explain the lack/slow addition of Superchargers and DC fast chargers in the state in general. Oahu has a maximum generation of 1,614.5 MW. If one of our power plants goes out that's it. On the Mainland, power utilities can get power from another utility, often in a different state, through a grid of interconnected transmission lines. In Hawaii, each island generating system must stand alone without backup from other utilities. We can build as many Superchargers as we want, but unless we build a whole new power plant or have some other form of power generation on the island, 1,614.5 MW is our hard cap. Also, certain areas (most) don't have the infrastructure that can reliably transmit electricity to support 350 kW EV chargers or 16 stalls like you see on the mainland. Regarding the Kahala delay may be a capacity/infrastructure issue. Oahu decommissioned its last coal plant in September 2022 which deducted 180 MW of capacity on the island and replaced it with Tesla Megapacks which now have to be charged with the remaining power plants, which explained the increase in our utility bills.

@dmagicr For a long long time, even before the Nissan Leaf and the Hybrid Volt became popular in Hawaii,
I remember reading about green projects using solar, wind and even tide and ocean thermal energy...
So what happen since?
I asked about solar and renewable energy, something about renewables only being variable generation. Mostly used for redundancy to account for generating power plants taken down for maintenance and back up. They've been building and have projects in development, but as of now they can't yet economically replace the cost of fossil fuel power plants 1:1 with renewables.