Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was vacationing on the Big Island earlier this month, and was very surprised at the large number of Teslas — all models — that I saw, considering the lack of infrastructure. There was even one brave soul driving the Saddle Road from Hilo toward Kailua. 240V home charging must be huge!

Had there been any supercharger infrastructure at all I would have tried to Turo a Tesla.

We had our Tesla home charger removed at request of Tesla due to a Powerwall installation - which is an addition to our Tesla solar panels that were installed in 2013 (no reason given). Were told if we want to put it back after, that's our choice. Still haven't - but we have been able to charge at 110v which gets us (2 cars) about 9 miles per hour. That's enough for my use, but wife commutes around 120 (one way - has an overnight) - then back only once a week. But she gets free Supercharging and I will go there (4 miles) and add miles for her when she needs. Hopefully, we can re-install wall charger soon.

We had our Tesla home charger removed at request of Tesla due to a Powerwall installation - which is an addition to our Tesla solar panels that were installed in 2013 (no reason given). Were told if we want to put it back after, that's our choice. Still haven't - but we have been able to charge at 110v which gets us (2 cars) about 9 miles per hour. That's enough for my use, but wife commutes around 120 (one way - has an overnight) - then back only once a week. But she gets free Supercharging and I will go there (4 miles) and add miles for her when she needs. Hopefully, we can re-install wall charger soon.
Did Tesla cite why they didn’t want the charger reinstalled? This sounds counter to teslas ecosystem and everything being integrated.

There are pretty good rebates from Hawaii Energy for condo projects and businesses to install/add new chargers. Hopefully, those incentives are helping getting more chargers installed :)

We should be on the lookout for the permits for the first set of NEVI funded fast chargers at Aloha Tower. DOT says they're supposed to be installed by year-end.
Looks like Sustainable Partners is the name for all the NEVI installs based on the locations.

Did Tesla cite why they didn’t want the charger reinstalled? This sounds counter to teslas ecosystem and everything being integrated.
No... We have two Teslas and previously charged one at a time on the 50A line we had run to the garage when our first of 3 Teslas was bought in 2013. Having just the two now - we would only charge one at a time, which was not a problem. My wife's commute is about 120 miles - mine is 3 miles. So hers would be charged using the 50A. I would just plug mine into 120 line which was plenty most of the time. She would (once a week) stay overnight where she worked - which let me use the 50A - although rarely needed it.
We had to remove the 50A (effectively 40A) for the Powerwall installation at the request of Tesla (I think they may have suspected we used the 50A to charge both cars at the same time.
Anyway, single Powerwall (for now) to augment the solar which Tesla installed in 2013 right before first Tesla delivery., and they may have thought charging would defeat the purpose of covering outtages for the house. No we would not charge during outtages for now (There is a new SC less than 2 miles about to open - and she gets free Supercharging).
BTW, didn't get an op manual with Powerwall and have yet to figure out how to connect to Tesla App (Not sure Powerwall will operate, but will find out with first outtage. Very hard to reach Tesla for answers.

No... We have two Teslas and previously charged one at a time on the 50A line we had run to the garage when our first of 3 Teslas was bought in 2013. Having just the two now - we would only charge one at a time, which was not a problem. My wife's commute is about 120 miles - mine is 3 miles. So hers would be charged using the 50A. I would just plug mine into 120 line which was plenty most of the time. She would (once a week) stay overnight where she worked - which let me use the 50A - although rarely needed it.
We had to remove the 50A (effectively 40A) for the Powerwall installation at the request of Tesla (I think they may have suspected we used the 50A to charge both cars at the same time.
Anyway, single Powerwall (for now) to augment the solar which Tesla installed in 2013 right before first Tesla delivery., and they may have thought charging would defeat the purpose of covering outtages for the house. No we would not charge during outtages for now (There is a new SC less than 2 miles about to open - and she gets free Supercharging).
BTW, didn't get an op manual with Powerwall and have yet to figure out how to connect to Tesla App (Not sure Powerwall will operate, but will find out with first outtage. Very hard to reach Tesla for answers.
Something is missing here. You initially stated you had a Tesla home charger but now you refer to it as 50A line. Was it a Wall Connector (hardwired) or Mobile Connector (plug in, likely 14-50)? If it was a HPWC, there is no way for you to charge two cars at once and Tesla or any electrician would not assume this because there is only 1 plug. If it was Mobile connector, then the same applies, theres only one plug so unless you had a splitter installed to allow two plugs into the outlet at once, you are missing a key piece of information somewhere.

Do you have a small electric panel or a combo meter/panel? Could you post a picture of all panels (with the door open) and the Powerwall install? It could be they needed the breaker space where the 50A circuit for the charger was which is why they can't reinstall it without you upgrading your electric panel. This should have been told to you specifically, "there isn't space for us to hook up your powerwall so we need to remove an existing breaker to make room and the only one the frees up enough power is your car charger circuit" or something to that effect. I am not familiar with powerwall installations so not sure how it ties in to the panel but it should go through your solar inverter if they swapped that out. That then ties into your panel but it shouldn't have changed from your initial install. I know with my Tesla solar I got lucky that there was one extra breaker space in the outdoor meter combo panel (only other breaker was for the interior sub panel) so was able to tie in directly near the meter instead of running conduit into the attic and down a wall to our other panel) but they had to downsize the main house breaker to allow the power needed for the solar to feed back in. As far as charging when the power is out, that is not their choice. The battery backup is for your house and if you need to charge you car to escape a fire or other disaster, you should be able to do that at home.

As far as connecting the Powerwall, there is a way to add other products in the app. Click your profile picture in the top right corner (or blank grey outline) and then select Add/Remove Products. Then select Powerwall and follow instructions.

We can continue this in private message if you'd like to keep the thread relevant.

Something is missing here. You initially stated you had a Tesla home charger but now you refer to it as 50A line. Was it a Wall Connector (hardwired) or Mobile Connector (plug in, likely 14-50)? If it was a HPWC, there is no way for you to charge two cars at once and Tesla or any electrician would not assume this because there is only 1 plug. If it was Mobile connector, then the same applies, theres only one plug so unless you had a splitter installed to allow two plugs into the outlet at once, you are missing a key piece of information somewhere.

Do you have a small electric panel or a combo meter/panel? Could you post a picture of all panels (with the door open) and the Powerwall install? It could be they needed the breaker space where the 50A circuit for the charger was which is why they can't reinstall it without you upgrading your electric panel. This should have been told to you specifically, "there isn't space for us to hook up your powerwall so we need to remove an existing breaker to make room and the only one the frees up enough power is your car charger circuit" or something to that effect. I am not familiar with powerwall installations so not sure how it ties in to the panel but it should go through your solar inverter if they swapped that out. That then ties into your panel but it shouldn't have changed from your initial install. I know with my Tesla solar I got lucky that there was one extra breaker space in the outdoor meter combo panel (only other breaker was for the interior sub panel) so was able to tie in directly near the meter instead of running conduit into the attic and down a wall to our other panel) but they had to downsize the main house breaker to allow the power needed for the solar to feed back in. As far as charging when the power is out, that is not their choice. The battery backup is for your house and if you need to charge you car to escape a fire or other disaster, you should be able to do that at home.

As far as connecting the Powerwall, there is a way to add other products in the app. Click your profile picture in the top right corner (or blank grey outline) and then select Add/Remove Products. Then select Powerwall and follow instructions.

We can continue this in private message if you'd like to keep the thread relevant.
In 2013, shortly after Tesla installed our solar panels, we had a 50A line run from our main panel, to the detached garage - installed a separate small panel for it (nothing else on that panel). Then ran a cable from that panel behind the drywall to the opposite wall for the Tesla charger (40A). Nothing else connected to that line. We have mostly charged using that line to my wife's 1st and 2nd Model S as she requires faster charging for her distance per day. I only work 3 miles away - so my Model 3 uses just a 120 outlet. When she is on an extended business trip, I will connect the Model 3 to the Tesla wall charger (even though unnecessary). So - never 2 cars at once on the 50 A line.

In 2013, shortly after Tesla installed our solar panels, we had a 50A line run from our main panel, to the detached garage - installed a separate small panel for it (nothing else on that panel). Then ran a cable from that panel behind the drywall to the opposite wall for the Tesla charger (40A). Nothing else connected to that line. We have mostly charged using that line to my wife's 1st and 2nd Model S as she requires faster charging for her distance per day. I only work 3 miles away - so my Model 3 uses just a 120 outlet. When she is on an extended business trip, I will connect the Model 3 to the Tesla wall charger (even though unnecessary). So - never 2 cars at once on the 50 A line.
It is physically impossible for you to connect 2 cars to one wall charger so I am not sure why you keep bringing that up. Tesla did not disconnect it because they were worried you were charging 2 cars at once on the same charger.

Is the separate 50A panel connected in any way to the powerwall? If not, then it has something to do with your main panel. If you can pm me pictures of your main panel and how the powerwall and solar hop up to it as well as the breaker for the 50A charging panel, I might be able to diagnose it for you.

No, do not, cannot and have no reason to try to charge both vehicles at the same time on that one line to the charger.
We had a line installed (years ago) from the main panel (oppostite side of house from garage). That line goes to a sub panel (installed on Garage wall) which has installed in it only a 50A breaker. From that breaker is a single line running directly to the Tesla wall charger on the opposite side of the garage.
With that charger (think it's 1st Gen), we charge her car - she does most driving. I rarely charge my Tesla using it and when she is out of town - (business). Otherwise, I usually tap into a 110v line (on different line and breaker) from original power run to the garage over 60 years ago.
Again, the 50A line is separate from anything else and only serves the Tesla Wall charger.
My needs are average 15 - 20 miles a day.
She has close to 180,000 miles on her second Model S, which was what she put on her 1st Model S.

No, do not, cannot and have no reason to try to charge both vehicles at the same time on that one line to the charger.
We had a line installed (years ago) from the main panel (oppostite side of house from garage). That line goes to a sub panel (installed on Garage wall) which has installed in it only a 50A breaker. From that breaker is a single line running directly to the Tesla wall charger on the opposite side of the garage.
With that charger (think it's 1st Gen), we charge her car - she does most driving. I rarely charge my Tesla using it and when she is out of town - (business). Otherwise, I usually tap into a 110v line (on different line and breaker) from original power run to the garage over 60 years ago.
Again, the 50A line is separate from anything else and only serves the Tesla Wall charger.
My needs are average 15 - 20 miles a day.
She has close to 180,000 miles on her second Model S, which was what she put on her 1st Model S.
Again, how you charge your cars is irrelevant to why Tesla disconnected the wall charger. Please forget about that. Every post you have made about this you make a point to say something about charging 2 cars at once and this is why Tesla disconnected the 50A line.

And the 50A line cannot be separate from anything else because it has o connect to your main electrical panel unless you have a separate service for it (which you have said is not the case). This seems to be where it was disconnected during your powerwall install. Until you show pictures of your main electrical panel and how the solar/powerwall are tied in, no one can give you advice as to whether it is safe to hook up again.

Please post or message a picture of your main electrical panel.

IMG_8643.jpeg

I just came across this picture on the A’iea site on PlugShare.

There are currently 12 stalls under construction at the Kahala Resort plus 8 stalls permitted in Kaneohe. From what I can tell, 12 new stalls at Pearlridge is new information.

The total new deployment listed above is 32 stalls. I’m curious if the second part of that sign is a summary of new deployment on Oahu or if there are plans for 32 stalls in addition to the 32 listed above.

Do the words “in Oahu” sound as strange to you as they do to me? On Oahu sounds better since it’s an island.

View attachment 1016924

I just came across this picture on the A’iea site on PlugShare.

There are currently 12 stalls under construction at the Kahala Resort plus 8 stalls permitted in Kaneohe. From what I can tell, 12 new stalls at Pearlridge is new information.

The total new deployment listed above is 32 stalls. I’m curious if the second part of that sign is a summary of new deployment on Oahu or if there are plans for 32 stalls in addition to the 32 listed above.

Do the words “in Oahu” sound as strange to you as they do to me? On Oahu sounds better since it’s an island.
Good catch. And thanks for posting that picture so more people can see it. "We" talk to the Supercharger Team as often as they will talk to us/share with us. Pretty tight lipped about specific plans. BUT we do know this.

12 Superchargers and the 8 destination chargers are "in progress" at Pearlridge Uptown. (For those that don't know. Pearlridge is a centrally located two location retail center relatively near Pearl Harbor [the water] in A'iea. Pearlridge is made up of two slightly separate locations with one called Downtown and the other Uptown. The current 6 stall Supercharger is located tucked away at Pearlridge Downtown, near the rear side of now-closed Sears . As of this post, its two years and two months old. Three+ years ago, a 12-stall Supercharger plan was started at Pearlridge Uptown in the multi-level parking garage. Its not operational. Still waiting on the main transformer.
The 6 stall Supercharger currently supports the Tesla owners that can't charge at home. Most of us that can charge at home, do not take up space charging at the 6 stall Supercharger out of respect for those that need it more. We don't have a count of how many charge at home and how many charge in the wild. But for those that need it, the 6 stall Supercharger is supporting some part of 13,000 Teslas on Oahu. ~13,000 and growing daily.
At the Kahala Hotel (east Oahu), a 12 stall Supercharger is soon going to go online. We regret to say, we suspect it will not get much attention or visits by local residents as the Kahala Hotel has announced from Day One, there will be a min $25 fee or parking validation requirement to enter the Supercharger parking area, separate from the Tesla charging fee. So, for most practical applications, we don't consider this to be useful, though it does appear to be counted on this sign.
At the Bay View Golf Course (another site) has recently been permit approved and we are predicting construction will begin soon. We believe this to be either 6 or 8 stalls. Bay View Golf Course is about 15 miles from Pearlridge and is located on the Windward side of Oahu. It will be a plus for Tesla owners in that area. (We did reach out to the expected Supercharger Installation vendor and did not get a reply.)

Summary: Though the sign does not break down the locations, we believe it implies, 12 Superchargers at Pearlridge. 12 Superchargers at Kahala, and 8 Superchargers at Bay View Golf Course for a count of 32. And we believe the "+" sign is not symbolic to indicate 32 more superchargers are coming soon. Tragically the count of 32 Superchargers likely implies the 6 stall Supercharger at Pearlridge Downtown (old Sears) will be closed in lieu of the 12 staff at Pearlridge Uptown.

I am a home charger. I don't need the Superchargers, but I highly encourage those that need all the Superchargers we can get, to reach out to both the Tesla Supercharger Team and Pearlridge Center property managers and encourage them to find a way to ensure all the Superchargers are available. And tell your fellow friends that are Tesla owners and not on TMC. As you know, show your support to the Pearlridge property managers letting them frequent Pearlridge as thanks for supporting our Supercharging needs.

Last edited:
12 Superchargers and the 8 destination chargers are "in progress" at Pearlridge Uptown. (For those that don't know. Pearlridge is a centrally located two location retail center relatively near Pearl Harbor [the water] in A'iea. Pearlridge is made up of two slightly separate locations with one called Downtown and the other Uptown. The current 6 stall Supercharger is located tucked away at Pearlridge Downtown, near the rear side of now-closed Sears . As of this post, its two years and two months old. Three+ years ago, a 12-stall Supercharger plan was started at Pearlridge Uptown in the multi-level parking garage. It's not operational. Still waiting on the main transformer.

Are you saying there is currently a 12-stall installation in Pearlridge that is awaiting a transformer? If so, this is news to me and we don't have this location on the supercharge.info map. Can you share the exact location and pictures so we can update supercharge.info?

I see a pin for it on Plugshare, but it's missing pictures and hasn't been updated since 2021. Aiea (Coming Soon) | Aiea, HI | EV Station

Are you saying there is currently a 12-stall installation in Pearlridge that is awaiting a transformer? If so, this is news to me and we don't have this location on the supercharge.info map. Can you share the exact location and pictures so we can update supercharge.info?

I see a pin for it on Plugshare, but it's missing pictures and hasn't been updated since 2021. Aiea (Coming Soon) | Aiea, HI | EV Station
Yes, that's what I am saying. I didn't take picture the time I visited the site 2+ years ago. All that was there was a poster. They had not even started tearing up concrete.

I hope my message was clear. Based on that sign picture you posted, we believe the count of 32 represents 12 at Pearlridge, 12 at Kahala Hotel, 8 at Bay View Golf Course. AND it excludes the 6 currently in operation. We are disheartened that those numbers represent removing and closing down the existing 6 we have and replacing those 6 with the long awaited 12. Point is, we don't have enough Superchargers resources for the growing number of privately owned and rented Teslas on Oahu.

It looks like your pin for the original 6 stall is too far north. Here is the Tesla App pin which matches the Apple/Google maps pin. You have it up by Fuji Sushi, although that’s maybe where the permit for 12 is supposed to be.
1707541904378.png

The original thread lists the permit which still shows as plans review in progress. Since only 6 were installed temporarily, maybe they are finally moving forward with the original 12 but there have been no approved or issued permits for either parcel included in the center so the initial 6 are an anomaly since they went in with no approval.

@Akikiki where are the new stalls in relation to the existing 6? Can you name a business it is nearby rather than just Uptown and Downtown? You say the last time you were there it was only a poster but you are sure it is complete minus the transformer?

It looks like your pin for the original 6 stall is too far north. Here is the Tesla App pin which matches the Apple/Google maps pin. You have it up by Fuji Sushi, although that’s maybe where the permit for 12 is supposed to be.
View attachment 1017092

The original thread lists the permit which still shows as plans review in progress. Since only 6 were installed temporarily, maybe they are finally moving forward with the original 12 but there have been no approved or issued permits for either parcel included in the center so the initial 6 are an anomaly since they went in with no approval.

@Akikiki where are the new stalls in relation to the existing 6? Can you name a business it is nearby rather than just Uptown and Downtown? You say the last time you were there it was only a poster but you are sure it is complete minus the transformer?
@Mrbrock , good questions. let's use this picture above since its already posted. The orange pin showing represents where the current 6 stall Supercharger is. Its right at the back corner of the closed Sears building. That's a covered parking lot. The second level is also parking and is attached to the main Downtown shopping area. Its an awkward area.

We were shocked (pleasantly) to learn of the location of this 6 stall Supercharger. There had not been a permit in the city's system. We have no idea how it was allowed to be stood up. We've already speculated it may "go away" when the 12 stall Supercharger (that is permitted) is opened. It could be its temp and allowed on that basis. We've found no one that will tell. The installer ran conduit (big metal conduit), stood up the superchargers and connected them from overhead. Almost no trenching. It was not there roughly the week before and nearly overnight it was. I went to it literally before daylight to see if it was real. For fun, I plugged in and charged then sat around for a couple of hours hoping others would show. During that time, the installed team came by and finished the job. They knew nothing about Teslas and the process/approvals. (The local Tesla store/service center employees didn't even know it was there until we told them.)

See that odd patch of green just above the orange pin? That's a farm. Look just above that patch of green on the left most top of the picture. There's a grey colored square. (street names showing just above it - Kaonohi St. That square is a parking structure. No businesses in it. 12 stall Supercharger is in there. I've not been there in three years since they posted the poster at the entrance to the structure. So, can't speak to what it looks like. But...

There has been enough interest now, I will drive over there tomorrow and get some pictures, just for giggles. How's that? And happy to do it. Check back later, for more.

Last edited:
Hi there - I'm visiting Honolulu mid-May and am curious if you think it's worth renting a tesla (vs. gas guzzler haha). I have a model 3 at home and prefer to rent a tesla when travelling however charging can be tricky.

Is it as big a problem as I've been reading online? Is it worth renting a tesla on oahu still?

Thank you! :)