Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Hawaii (location speculation, general discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planned superchargers leaked in find us list on Tesla site. So where is Kahala Resort location that’s under construction?🤔 View attachment 860663
Aside from from the existing charger and permit for Aiea and Kaneohe respectively, are you sure the other locations are not just referring to the addresses of service center / showroom?

Based on your list, it really does seem to confirm that the Kahala location is private.

Aside from from the existing charger and permit for Aiea and Kaneohe respectively, are you sure the other locations are not just referring to the addresses of service center / showroom?

Based on your list, it really does seem to confirm that the Kahala location is private.
Mystery solved. Honolulu location is listed in California for some reason. lol

I used my last two votes on both of them. :)
I'll vote for one in Kona which is useful if I ever rent a Tesla in Hawaii but Maui is just silly. You can circle the island from end to end twice without charging once. There should be sites in both Kona and Hilo so that no matter which side you start out on, you can charge at the halfway point if you're driving all the way around the island in one day.

Reactions: wws and Big Earl
@Big Earl, @STS-134, -Thanks. We can do only so much. And though we, on Oahu, will never get to use those on Maui or Big Island, we still want to help them. Big Island is 300+ miles around, and that's the roads. So, they desperately need 3+ Superchargers.

Thanks again.
Where would you put the third one? Volcano would be a good location, maybe near that Thai restaurant. Or at the Punalu‘u Bake Shop (but that one isn't as interesting as the Thai restuarant in Volcano because it closes at 5 pm).

Half way between Kona and Hilo. No sense in stretching the range on them little non-Tesla EVs when they open charging to them.
Actually looking at the Plugshare map, there are already a couple DC fast chargers in the Hilo area, there's one at the Punalu‘u Bake Shop (I actually remember taking a look at this one when I stopped there). There's also one in Kailua-Kona. Although, both the Hilo and Kona locations appear to be kind of crappy, with not much around. They're in the parking lots of the utility company build because...I don't know, maybe people like to charge while paying their utility bills in person? I assume these can be used with the Tesla CCS or CHAdeMO adapters but the even bigger issue with these chargers is that they appear to be low power, 50 kW units. So yeah, superchargers, particularly of the V3 variety, are needed on Hawai‘i Island.

Reactions: Akikiki
Actually looking at the Plugshare map, there are already a couple DC fast chargers in the Hilo area, there's one at the Punalu‘u Bake Shop (I actually remember taking a look at this one when I stopped there). There's also one in Kailua-Kona. Although, both the Hilo and Kona locations appear to be kind of crappy, with not much around. They're in the parking lots of the utility company build because...I don't know, maybe people like to charge while paying their utility bills in person? I assume these can be used with the Tesla CCS or CHAdeMO adapters but the even bigger issue with these chargers is that they appear to be low power, 50 kW units. So yeah, superchargers, particularly of the V3 variety, are needed on Hawai‘i Island.

There are two in Hilo - one from Hawaii Electric Light powered by Shell Recharge, which was out of service for eight months from 12/21 to 8/22. The other is a 25-kW unit at a Chevy dealership that doesn't seem to be open to the public.

The location in Kailua-Kona, another Hawaii Electric Light / Shell Recharge partnership, seems very unreliable, earning a Plugscore of just 2 out of 10.

EV drivers on the big island could definitely use some more reliable public charging.

• Informative
Reactions: STS-134
@Big Earl, @STS-134, -Thanks. We can do only so much. And though we, on Oahu, will never get to use those on Maui or Big Island, we still want to help them. Big Island is 300+ miles around, and that's the roads. So, they desperately need 3+ Superchargers.

Thanks again.
I voted for the one in Kona. Looks like I can't put a marker in Hilo or Punalu‘u though. It would have to be processed by Tesla and then added to the map and by then, the votes won't mean anything because Kona will have been on there longer than the others.

I voted for the one in Kona. Looks like I can't put a marker in Hilo or Punalu‘u though. It would have to be processed by Tesla and then added to the map and by then, the votes won't mean anything because Kona will have been on there longer than the others.

It sounds like there will be more rounds of voting in the future. I’d say go ahead and submit whatever suggestions you have - they could end up on the voting map next year.

Permit found for lot next to Lowe's.
Now if only I could get a Tesla on Maui for a reasonable price. I never really asked what Avis/Budget wanted for them but I'm sure whatever I got would cost at least twice as much as the car I did rent and be inferior to what I have at home. The condo complex I stay at has a level 2 EVSE and several 120V outlets so I'd probably be able to never buy gasoline the entire time I was on there.

But it's still crazy that the Big Island is behind Maui and Oʻahu for supercharger installs. The Big Island should have been first.

Now if only I could get a Tesla on Maui for a reasonable price. I never really asked what Avis/Budget wanted for them but I'm sure whatever I got would cost at least twice as much as the car I did rent and be inferior to what I have at home. The condo complex I stay at has a level 2 EVSE and several 120V outlets so I'd probably be able to never buy gasoline the entire time I was on there.

But it's still crazy that the Big Island is behind Maui and Oʻahu for supercharger installs. The Big Island should have been first.
It's a numbers game. Maui has the most Teslas after Oahu. Although Big Island makes sense for distance. They're probably next in line.