Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HDMI interface to the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great projects @artsci and @BearBu!

Just curious as there’s an interest- is it possible to split the front and rear camera outputs to separate buffers for recording? I know there’s an interest in this, it’s a feature that Tesla has promised, and folks usually try to supplement with a separate camera. I’d be happy with a simple box that has a card reader and records off the video feeds. Is this technical feasible?

We have a board that taps the signal from rearview camera and converts to 720p HD AHD signal (which to be connected to Dashcam + Digital Mirror) for recording issue.

Details are in the following link:

Video conversion board (for rearview camera) extension to Dashcam / DVR

First attempt of image from the laptop computer thru HDMI port.

897B5A53-26D5-4A0D-AD03-0B04A7876030.jpeg

The output signal was not so stable and need some time for trouble shooting

Next step is to test the MHL detection function

Project status update:

- HDMI port testing ok , output to touchscreen ok
- Power supply : cannot use the 12V provided by the LVDS cable. Need external 12V power supply
- Upcoming compatibility testings:
i). MHL (smartphone mirroring)
ii) 360 around view system (getting a volunteer to install a 360 around view system , or maybe a more advanced 3D 360 around view system)
iii) Apple TV
iv) other HDMI devices such as PS4, digita TV or any other HDMI device I have at home

Please put a HomeLink receiver on it so it's possible to change the video feed between rear camera and hdmi video on the MCU screen
Maybe include a Homelink bridge to another Homelink broadcast station so Homelink would actually work. Grin. Seriously though, this was a clever idea.

Ok, so this would be a tethered mirroring connection where you'd have to run a cable from this device to your phone?
Some implementations do wireless mirroring.

• Helpful
Reactions: BearBu