Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights on model S upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, has anyone be able to upgrade the model S headlights, the light output is sub standard for a car of the class and cost, I have already hit on kangaroo and narrowly missed another because of the poor light output.
What I feel is needed is a 55w HID upgrade to the single lamps and some addition driving lights or light bar.
Trying to find a wiring diagram is like pulling teeth from Tesla.
any suggestion welcome.

Model S p85+ three months and very happy....except for the headlights.

regards Leigh.

I think I remember reading that Tesla reduced the headlight output for Australia and some other markets. If I am remembering correctly, it was because regulations state that headlights over a certain threshold require a headlight washer system which Tesla doesn't have in the Model S, so instead of adding it, they just lowered the headlight brightness to something under the threshold. Once again, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm fairly sure this is the case.
I'll see if I can find the source for that and I'll add it if I find it.
Edit: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/40823-Xenon-headlights best I could find.

Last edited:
Yep agreed light output could be better.

Gudday Leigh47,

I too have had entanglements with roo's but the car saved by bum -before I hit it..... mind you its was real close..

My solution is I am fitting a light bar to just above the number plate to see how that performs optically and power efficiency as I am disturbing the slip stream over the bonnet. I have no idea if it will effect driving range which is a critical factor for me as I push the range envelope regularly. On that note, would you mind a fellow Model S boy sucking up some electrons when next doing my Bendigo run?

Thanks! I'm interested in the reply, as I'd be keen to fit it with good bulbs, Astroboy...

"Unfortunately we do not give any retrofit suggestions because we dont specialize in that. We know that lots of customers from Norway buy our kits and install in their Teslas with minimum modifications."

This was the reply that I recieved. I mean I am sure it is just as simple as replacing the bulbs and ballasts with American ones. I know Europe also has issues with headlight brightness so they are downgraded as well.

Would really like to hear from someone who has actually tried swapping them over with OEM parts.

"Unfortunately we do not give any retrofit suggestions because we dont specialize in that. We know that lots of customers from Norway buy our kits and install in their Teslas with minimum modifications."

This was the reply that I recieved. I mean I am sure it is just as simple as replacing the bulbs and ballasts with American ones.
Thanks, Astroboy747. I'll see what the lights are like when mine (EVENTUALLY, I ORDERED IN FRIKKING DECEMBER!) arrives. Sounds like a simple replacement...
Are the rear plate lights still ugly incans? The Abstract Ocean ones look worth the spend to upgrade the look of the car from behind...

Thanks, Astroboy747. I'll see what the lights are like when mine (EVENTUALLY, I ORDERED IN FRIKKING DECEMBER!) arrives. Sounds like a simple replacement...
Are the rear plate lights still ugly incans? The Abstract Ocean ones look worth the spend to upgrade the look of the car from behind...

I heard someone following me (dad) telling me the license plate lights looked good and you could see the plate quite clearly. The back end lights of the vehicle are very attractive in my opinion. Also there is only one reverse LED light on one side on the taillight unit.

YOU ORDERED IN DECEMBER??? We ordered our P85D in February 15' and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. And I ordered a 70D in July and its in transit. Expected in November. What is taking so long?

A while back, 2018 to be exact, in response to threads like this, I searched the Internet for the correct bulb for a Tesla Model S and bought some high quality D3S HID bulbs for my 2014 Model S hoping that if I fitted them it may improve the lighting performance. Life was busier then and I promptly put them in the cupboard And forgot about them.
Last Sunday a message kept popping up in the car saying that the RH headlight failure has been detected and to contact service.
It‘s currently an intermittent fault so I found the box in the cupboard and found the D3S globes and had a go at changing the globe yesterday and today. After many hours of work, a complete disassembly of the front of the car the original globe is back in the right hand headlight and the car is back together, still broken.🤬 What went wrong?
As eluded to previously in this thread, when the Model S was going through Australian Design Regulations (ADR) Tesla was forced to lower the globe wattage of the HID headlights from 35W to 25W making Australian Model S unique in the world where they are fitted with a D8S 25W HId globe whilst the rest of the world Model S are fitted with D3S 35W HID globes. If I recall correctly the change was made as apparently ADRs require headlamp washers for a 35W HID system so that dirty HID headlights don’t blind oncoming traffic and Model S has no headlight washing equipment.
In my journey over the last few days I discovered that to reduce the wattage to 25W it’s necessary to change the globe to a D8S 25W globe which is physically identical to to a D3S 35W globe except for the lower wattage and importantly the seating ring that contacts the headlight socket is keyed differently. As a result the D3S will not sit correctly against the headlight socket and you cannot twist the locking ring to lock the bulb to the headlight.
Unfortunatly for me I only noticed the difference after I disassembled the entire front of the car and removed the headlight so I could see the mating surface and spotted the difference of key way on the globe mating surface.
It was only then, I checked the mating ring of the original globe and read the label to discover the difference.
Examining the headlights I note that mine have lots of wax crayon marks on them suggesting that were disassembled in the factory to change the central lens structure to accept the lower wattage D8S globe. If my theory is correct, it explains why you can look up on the internet the correct globe for a 2014 - 2016 Model S with HID headlights and you will be told it’s a D3S but for Australian and I assume New Zealand Model S the correct globe is a D8S and is a much rarer and difficult to source globe.
Moral of the story, don’t believe everything you read on the internet or you will end up wasting a day and a half getting nowhere Like me.

Hello, has anyone be able to upgrade the model S headlights, the light output is sub standard for a car of the class and cost, I have already hit on kangaroo and narrowly missed another because of the poor light output.
What I feel is needed is a 55w HID upgrade to the single lamps and some addition driving lights or light bar.
Trying to find a wiring diagram is like pulling teeth from Tesla.
any suggestion welcome.

Model S p85+ three months and very happy....except for the headlights.

regards Leigh.

May I suggest you have a look at Does anyone recognise this headlight plug?
Specifically post 33 onwards - great work from Ztrekus and Dborn. I can confirm good results from upgrading to the Tesla OEM ballast plus the Osram Night Breakers, fitted after reading this thread. Also deals with the need to Dremel away some plastic to allow fitment - simple job.

A while back, 2018 to be exact, in response to threads like this, I searched the Internet for the correct bulb for a Tesla Model S and bought some high quality D3S HID bulbs for my 2014 Model S hoping that if I fitted them it may improve the lighting performance. Life was busier then and I promptly put them in the cupboard And forgot about them.
Last Sunday a message kept popping up in the car saying that the RH headlight failure has been detected and to contact service.
It‘s currently an intermittent fault so I found the box in the cupboard and found the D3S globes and had a go at changing the globe yesterday and today. After many hours of work, a complete disassembly of the front of the car the original globe is back in the right hand headlight and the car is back together, still broken.🤬 What went wrong?
As eluded to previously in this thread, when the Model S was going through Australian Design Regulations (ADR) Tesla was forced to lower the globe wattage of the HID headlights from 35W to 25W making Australian Model S unique in the world where they are fitted with a D8S 25W HId globe whilst the rest of the world Model S are fitted with D3S 35W HID globes. If I recall correctly the change was made as apparently ADRs require headlamp washers for a 35W HID system so that dirty HID headlights don’t blind oncoming traffic and Model S has no headlight washing equipment.
In my journey over the last few days I discovered that to reduce the wattage to 25W it’s necessary to change the globe to a D8S 25W globe which is physically identical to to a D3S 35W globe except for the lower wattage and importantly the seating ring that contacts the headlight socket is keyed differently. As a result the D3S will not sit correctly against the headlight socket and you cannot twist the locking ring to lock the bulb to the headlight.
Unfortunatly for me I only noticed the difference after I disassembled the entire front of the car and removed the headlight so I could see the mating surface and spotted the difference of key way on the globe mating surface.
It was only then, I checked the mating ring of the original globe and read the label to discover the difference.
Examining the headlights I note that mine have lots of wax crayon marks on them suggesting that were disassembled in the factory to change the central lens structure to accept the lower wattage D8S globe. If my theory is correct, it explains why you can look up on the internet the correct globe for a 2014 - 2016 Model S with HID headlights and you will be told it’s a D3S but for Australian and I assume New Zealand Model S the correct globe is a D8S and is a much rarer and difficult to source globe.
Moral of the story, don’t believe everything you read on the internet or you will end up wasting a day and a half getting nowhere Like me.
My UK spec also has a D8S bulb.

Reactions: meloccom