Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights turning off by itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla charges an outrageous amount for it. Someone mentioned around $1000 to have them replaced. Someone else said their service center said the random turning off is a problem with the main computer which is several thousands to replace. Seriously I don't mind pay for for good quality or service, but this is just a rip off.

AutoZone has them for $130 each, on Amazon you can find them for $34 a pair! Total time is about 45 min. If someone needs help replacing theirs in Orange County, send me a PM and I can help.
I am having the exact same problem with my May 2015 build 70D. It only happens with the right headlight. Do you have a link for the exact replacement bulb you used?

My 2013 Model S has been experiencing an issue similar to this. Right now when I have my DRLs on my right light will go out (just the LED) when it’s night the led seems to stay on with the HID. I noticed today that the LED is now flickering a bit. Right HID hasn’t shut off yet but I’m wondering if this is a symptom of the HID going out or is it time for a replacement headlight unit?

My 2013 Model S has been experiencing an issue similar to this. Right now when I have my DRLs on my right light will go out (just the LED) when it’s night the led seems to stay on with the HID. I noticed today that the LED is now flickering a bit. Right HID hasn’t shut off yet but I’m wondering if this is a symptom of the HID going out or is it time for a replacement headlight unit?
I haven't noticed this problem return since it first occurred several weeks ago. But I have the replacement bulb saved on Amazon so I can order it as soon as the problem returns.

I am hoping to replac just the HID. I doubt this would be related to the LED issues you are having.

Reactions: Trevorsatt
Just wanted to post an update. I finally got time to replace my head light bulbs and the problem is gone. It was just the HID light bulbs that caused the light to turn off randomly. Charging $830 for a single light bulb is almost criminal! WTF? I got mine for $35 a pair from Amazon and they work great. I replaced them myself and everything is fine now.
I think it's just so messed up that Tesla owners get ripped off this way. If anyone needs help replacing their head lights, I'm going to edit together a little video how to replace them.

I have a 2013 P85 and was having the same headlight issues others talked about. I changed both lights with the help of your video and the problem seems to be gone! Thanks for the help!

Reactions: David99
Hey David, any updates on these bulbs you used? Still happy with them? Issue hasn't returned?
Both my headlights are randomly turning off as described by everyone here.

I had one go out after a year. Might have just been bad luck. The other one is working fine. Since it is kind of a PITA to replace them, maybe buy a brand name bulb. But then I believe the actual bulbs are all made in the same factory and just sold through different channels.

Tesla charges an outrageous amount for it. Someone mentioned around $1000 to have them replaced. Someone else said their service center said the random turning off is a problem with the main computer which is several thousands to replace. Seriously I don't mind pay for for good quality or service, but this is just a rip off.

AutoZone has them for $130 each, on Amazon you can find them for $34 a pair! Total time is about 45 min. If someone needs help replacing theirs in Orange County, send me a PM and I can help.
Can you make a YouTube video that would be of help to us and add a link to the Amazon item purchased?

I have a similar issue, but I did replace the left bulb recently (2 months ago) issue subsided. Now, after having my Body control swapped due to keyfob issues, it's happening again. I'm pretty over the long lead times and BS from Tesla's SC. My headlight will turn off, and then if U go into setting and turn off teh headlight and turn it back on again, ut comes back on until there is normally a bump in the road, and then one will turn off again. I have a spare bulb I didn't use last time, so I'm ok swapping it into teh one that's glitching more often to see if that is teh issue. It feels based on the failure case; it's a signal issue with either the best of the body controller. FYI the body control in a 2013 Model is not the same as the MCU(Touchscreen). It's a small control module under the passenger footwell. If anyone has some added information to help me start my root cause diagnosis this weekend, that would be lovely.

Could you please let me know the link to the exactly bulbs for $34 a pair? Thanks in advance ☺

Most likely the HID lamps are worn out. Internal resistance in the lamp increases as it ages, making it more difficult for the ballast to sustain the arc as the lamp warms up. This is the same reason why HID street lights cycle on and off when they get old. You may also have a ballast and/or wiring problem, but I’d definitely start with replacing the lamps. Be sure to buy good quality lamps (Osram or Philips would be my choice) and not cheap no-name or knock-off brands.

My 2013 started doing this on both sides. It began on the left, and cycling the lights on and off would fix it. Then it started happening on the right, and very quickly the right wouldn't stay lit at all. When you turn them on it would flash for a second and then go out. So it became pretty urgent to fix them, and I replaced both sides.

I had a really hard time finding a reliable source for authentic bulbs. Tons of comments on Amazon about receiving counterfeit units. I knew I didn't want to get back in there in a couple months because I installed some knock-offs that failed prematurely.

I decided on the Osrams, and specifically got the Nightbreaker Lasers. They have an online verification tool that matches your bulb package to the bulb's serial number so you know you got the real thing. The color temp is a touch warmer than stock, but the visibility is vastly improved. Also, notably, replacing the bulbs (at least for now) fixed the issue noted in this thread.
I got mine here: D3S: Osram 66340XNN Night Breaker Laser NEXT GEN HID Bulbs | Pack of 2

@David99 's video earlier in this thread helped a lot, but I have one addition.
IMG_0059.jpeg

This is what the bulb in the housing looks like. You have to remove that black housing and put it on the new bulb. This is mentioned in the video, but the process is not described. You need to push the ring off the light through that split in the ring. It works like an e-clip or c-clip (look it up). It doesn't pull straight up towards the bulb.

Finally, it wa interesting to compare the bulbs. The one on the right had failed, and the one on the left is new. (Not shown) the one in the process of failing looked more like the one on the left.
IMG_0070.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec