Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headrest material peeling off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know the seats are vinyl, right? Not sure what a “shield” does for vinyl, but those seats ain’t leather ....

For me, a spray of Meguiar’s detailer - or a quick baby wipe - and, done. It‘s vinyl - doesn’t need much maintenance ... and nothing will “soak in”.

The Gyeon Leather Shield works perfectly on the Vegan Leather in Tesla's. I assure you. I drive with babies and kids that make big messes and a simple microfiber and Gyeon Leather Mild wipes it right off with this coating.

It‘s vinyl - doesn’t need much maintenance ... and nothing will “soak in”.

This is not even remotely true. I've been detailing cars on the side for more than 20 years, and can say if you do not treat vinyl surfaces, it will dry and crack. And many times when it gets to that point, it's much worse than what happens to leather, and has fewer repair options than leather.

Reactions: M109Rider
This is not even remotely true. I've been detailing cars on the side for more than 20 years, and can say if you do not treat vinyl surfaces, it will dry and crack. And many times when it gets to that point, it's much worse than what happens to leather, and has fewer repair options than leather.

I certainly didn't say you shouldn't apply anything to vinyl - it absolutely needs to be treated. But it's mostly a surfactant - it doesn't "soak in" the way oils do into leather, for example. But long-term maintenance, nah. Quick wipe-and-go is fine for vinyl. Not like leather.

Reactions: Dolemite and Sam1
I certainly didn't say you shouldn't apply anything to vinyl - it absolutely needs to be treated. But it's mostly a surfactant - it doesn't "soak in" the way oils do into leather, for example. But long-term maintenance, nah. Quick wipe-and-go is fine for vinyl. Not like leather.
I'm not sure I agree. My wife's Model 3 headrest has bubbled and surface delaminated from whatever base fabric is in the material.

I guess because she goes to the gym, comes home sweaty, then showers quick and heads to work. Combo of body oils and hair products.

I'm not sure I agree. My wife's Model 3 headrest has bubbled and surface delaminated from whatever base fabric is in the material.

I guess because she goes to the gym, comes home sweaty, then showers quick and heads to work. Combo of body oils and hair products.

Like I said, I’m sure some chemicals will react with any type of materials.
This doesn’t seem to be a wide spread problem, (10 cases out of hundreds of thousands of cars is not wide spread)

So since we don’t drive with military grade seats, it would make sense that we need to be conscious of what chemicals we are putting on the seats.
I guess we could put the onus on Tesla for every instance we damage our cars, but there is a point where it’s on us....

This doesn’t seem to be a wide spread problem, (10 cases out of hundreds of thousands of cars is not wide spread)

So since we don’t drive with military grade seats, it would make sense that we need to be conscious of what chemicals we are putting on the seats.
I guess we could put the onus on Tesla for every instance we damage our cars, but there is a point where it’s on us....
Not arguing that at all. I purchased my own replacement.

Reactions: M109Rider

Actually after spending quite a few years in the military, we learned that "military grade" is whatever quality the pentagon can lock in the lowest bidder at. So... We probably do have military-grade seats :D

You've never used any products to clean your seats? You understand that vehicles have to be cleaned, right?

It's not about it being leather conditioner, only to be used on real leather. It lubricates the material and protects it. You could use any one of many things, but this is what I have used on vinyl for years. It soaks into the material pretty good.

This is assuming that leather and vinyl have similar properties and react similarly to conditioner. Hydrating leather and hydrating a synthetic material aren't the same thing. I would be curious if there are products made specifically for the material used in Tesla seats.

So what exactly have I done that's "damaged" my car? Sat in it & driven it? I assure you it's probably one of the most pampered & cared-for Teslae out there. It doesn't even have 9K miles on it.

And the notion that hundreds of square miles of plastic seat upholstery is somehow more "environmentally responsible" than leather is laughable.

So what exactly have I done that's "damaged" my car? Sat in it & driven it? I assure you it's probably one of the most pampered & cared-for Teslae out there. It doesn't even have 9K miles on it.

And the notion that hundreds of square miles of plastic seat upholstery is somehow more "environmentally responsible" than leather is laughable.

Okay, so your car is one of the very few of the hundreds of thousands of cars sold, that the seats have reacted exactly the same as the OP’s seats in his photo, and there is no reason for it what so ever...
Consider the possibilities:
-You don’t use hair care products that will impact it.
-I assume you rest your head on the back head restraint while driving. (That’s different from most). Most don’t use it as a head rest.
-Do you wear hats?
-Is your hair short (brush cut) or long. ?

Just trying to help you figure this out.
It would seem, it’s either something rubbing on it every time you drive, or it’s a chemical of some sort ...?

You’ve stated all you do is sit in the car.
Can you elaborate on this more, so we can help figure it out for you.
After all, it won’t wear out on its own, or everyone would have the same problem.

Also, I actually didn’t mean to say environmentally friendly. I was thinking animal friendly, but said environmentally. :)

I politely disagree. Faux leather is cost cutting behind the ruse of pleasing PETA/green crowd. At the time I purchased my 3 the premium interior was part of the premium package I paid extra for. At the very least Tesla should offer real leather option or offer a cheaper price if you opt for faux. In my lurking this does not happen with white interior.

I wonder if anyone would real leather - yes I am aware you want it but! this is my thoughts...

real leather now-a-days are super thin. You could be confusing with $280,000-$400,000 THICK leather when compared to a $50,000-60,000.

leather seats from the 50's, 60's are not the same anymore

but this is all to my belief, from past experience here and there.

The Gyeon Leather Shield works perfectly on the Vegan Leather in Tesla's. I assure you. I drive with babies and kids that make big messes and a simple microfiber and Gyeon Leather Mild wipes it right off with this coating.

That’s the first thing I did was apply the leather shield to my M3 white seats. It was out of stock forever... I got it 2 days before I picked up the car.. 2 coats all the way around. Even did the white on the doors .. word of advise do not accidentally get it on the plastic I.e around the window switch. I got a little on there and it just shows up as streakiness :(.. not sure what to use to break it down to remove it. But gyeon is great applied 2 coats and still hv half a bottle remaining. Will reapply in a year or so.

That’s the first thing I did was apply the leather shield to my M3 white seats. It was out of stock forever... I got it 2 days before I picked up the car.. 2 coats all the way around. Even did the white on the doors .. word of advise do not accidentally get it on the plastic I.e around the window switch. I got a little on there and it just shows up as streakiness :(.. not sure what to use to break it down to remove it. But gyeon is great applied 2 coats and still hv half a bottle remaining. Will reapply in a year or so.

Have you tried using an IPA solution (not the beer) like Gyeon Prep? Or contacted them or the guys at Esoteric Car Care? I'm sure they can offer some advice. The Leather Shield is not glossy and does not alter the leather at all for color or change from matte to shine. As with any ceramic coating though you need to take the time to apply and avoid overlap onto materials it was not designed for. When I do the outside of the car I mask off the trim, but in the inside I didn't do that either and was cautious around the door. I'm sure there is a solution for you though if you just contact them.

One thought is you could maybe use some 303 Aerospace Protectant over all the plastic to nourish the plastic (it is also matte) and it might blend and make it unnoticeable while also providing UV protection to the plastic. I use that on all the plastic and rubber everywhere on the car inside and out.

Have you tried using an IPA solution (not the beer) like Gyeon Prep? Or contacted them or the guys at Esoteric Car Care? I'm sure they can offer some advice. The Leather Shield is not glossy and does not alter the leather at all for color or change from matte to shine. As with any ceramic coating though you need to take the time to apply and avoid overlap onto materials it was not designed for. When I do the outside of the car I mask off the trim, but in the inside I didn't do that either and was cautious around the door. I'm sure there is a solution for you though if you just contact them.

One thought is you could maybe use some 303 Aerospace Protectant over all the plastic to nourish the plastic (it is also matte) and it might blend and make it unnoticeable while also providing UV protection to the plastic. I use that on all the plastic and rubber everywhere on the car inside and out.
I also use the 303 all over the interior. I love that stuff I’ll give it a shot tmrw .. and. Then the IPA if that doesn’t work .. thanks and yeah. It didn’t change the texture or feel at all

Reactions: webbah
For everyone saying the seats are vinyl (PVC); they're not. They're polyurethane (PU).

Some cleaners and particularly hand sanitizers often contain Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA), which is very bad for PU. Whereas PVC is totally compatible with IPA. Different chemicals differ in their compatibility too. I just found a website (www.coleparmer.com/chemical-resistance) that lists these materials (and more) and provides compatibility information on many many chemicals for anyone that wants to look into it further, or check specific chemicals in your hair/sunscreen/etc or whatever.

Given how common IPA is in everyday products, I think PU is a terrible choice of material for car upholstery (plus it doesn't feel nice compared to fabric imo). Also, PU is derived from crude oil. Vegan? Sure I guess. How do vegans feel about fossil fuel based products?

Last edited:
Same happened to me. I applied hair lotion to my bald head and took a drive in hot 90 degree weather. The heat caused my sweat to transfer some of the lotion. When I came back to my vehicle the sun had cooked the lotion into the fake leather and ruined the headrest. Tesla replaced it out of warranty but did not claim it was a defect. Their excuse was an outside factor caused the deterioration. I’ve never seen this behavior on material fabrics in any other car I’ve owned. This is the result of a cost cutting shortcut. I’m disappointed at how Tesla handled the situation and wish I went with white interior instead.

Please go do some research before you sprout your mouth. The material they use on the seats are not cheap. They are made by another company that specializes in automotive synthetic materials, rated to last longer than regular leather. What you apply to apply to your bald head then to the head restraint has nothing to do with the material.

I could apply bleach to leather also and mess it up, doesn't mean the leather is crap.