Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat / HVAC on 7.0 - poor performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in other words... Under v6.2 we had to ignore the displayed temp when cooling the car and just lower it until we are comfortable (usually 3-4*F lower). Under 7.0, we have to do the same, but for heat; ignore the displayed temp and raise it up until we are comfortable.

Yep. I have found this too. But I also find I have to bump the fan speed as well. Quite often, I'm freezing and it is only running at 2 in Auto.

When I got in the car this morning I experienced the same behavior as Bozie. I tried turning the heat all the way up and even tried the HI front defrost and just received more cold air. I also tried rebooting with no luck.I'll be calling service tomorrow morning and will post back here once I find out what is wrong.

Our 2013 Tesla with 7.0 (56) firmware is sitting at the Mississauga service center this evening.

Tesla pulled the logs from our car and determined the cabin heater is the source of our recent discomfort, namely, the inconsistency of cabin heat, sometimes it heats, most times not.

We will see if this is a hardware issue, or not. We couldn't even get pre-heating to work reliably this past few weeks.

I attempted to work around the issue by assigning temperature to the right side scroll wheel and change the temp from HI to 30C back and forth every few minutes. This would sometimes work, but most times not.

We were unable to get the car warm, let alone hot on a number of 300 km + daily outings over the past few weeks.

Again, will report back here later this week after the cabin heater replacement.

Our 2013 Tesla with 7.0 (56) firmware is sitting at the Mississauga service center this evening.

Tesla pulled the logs from our car and determined the cabin heater is the source of our recent discomfort, namely, the inconsistency of cabin heat, sometimes it heats, most times not.

We will see if this is a hardware issue, or not. We couldn't even get pre-heating to work reliably this past few weeks.

I attempted to work around the issue by assigning temperature to the right side scroll wheel and change the temp from HI to 30C back and forth every few minutes. This would sometimes work, but most times not.

We were unable to get the car warm, let alone hot on a number of 300 km + daily outings over the past few weeks.

Again, will report back here later this week after the cabin heater replacement.

Coincidentally, mine is also at the Mississauga SC right now for the same thing. I hope this isn't an epidemic. :smile:

Received a call from Tesla this morning. 11/18
It seems that they noticed a post that I had placed on the forum concerning my loss of comfortable heating in the new v.7.0 update.
It was type of bug involving the air diverters, inside the duct work. My local SC had overnight, pushed a newer version of software, v7.0 to my car and requested that I install it and let them know if it resolved my issues with the low heat and low air flow.
With this version of v7.0 (2.7.77) software, my issues are now resolved!
I used the defroster, center and the floor settings and all of these settings work as you would expect them to. I finally placed the settings on automatic as per my SC suggestion and the system works great.
The heat is more than enough and the fan speed rises and falls as needed. The car now has plenty of air flow and plenty of heat.
Since I hate being cold, I wasn’t really looking forward to driving the Tesla in the coming months, but now I am now looking forward to (some) coldweather, just to try it out.
I am happy to say, Tesla’s pro-active handling of this matter, is outstanding in my opinion! They listen and they do care.

Last edited:

I had 2.7.77 pushed to me yesterday afternoon. I'll give it a few days, but it still seems weak to me. My problem is I get heat, but in Auto, not enough fan speed to move it around. This morning it was around 40 F outside and the fan was running at 2. If I manually bump the fan speed up, at least while I'm trying to warm the car up, it works a lot better. Prior to 2.7.77 my car would seem to gradually cool down as I drove after initially warming up with my manual fan speed intervention. I'll need a few days to see if that is any better.

Received a call from Tesla this morning. 11/18
It seems that they noticed a post that I had placed on the forum concerning my loss of comfortable heating in the new v.7.0 update.
It was type of bug involving the air diverters, inside the duct work. My local SC had overnight, pushed a newer version of software, v7.0 to my car and requested that I install it and let them know if it resolved my issues with the low heat and low air flow.

Hrm...interesting. My car received 2.7.77 yesterday afternoon, which I remember thinking was odd since I typically receive software updates overnight. Also there were only two other people reporting receipt of that particular version yesterday in the firmware tracker. Wonder if that's a similar situation to you?

I honestly wasn't paying attention to my HVAC settings when I drove to work this morning (and it wasn't that cold outside). I'll have to check this out over the next few days.

(waves to Tesla employees monitoring the TMC forums)

I had 2.7.77 pushed to me yesterday afternoon. I'll give it a few days, but it still seems weak to me. My problem is I get heat, but in Auto, not enough fan speed to move it around. This morning it was around 40 F outside and the fan was running at 2. If I manually bump the fan speed up, at least while I'm trying to warm the car up, it works a lot better. Prior to 2.7.77 my car would seem to gradually cool down as I drove after initially warming up with my manual fan speed intervention. I'll need a few days to see if that is any better.
It was 10C this morning. Setting the temperature to HI does the same thing that it previously did when set to 30 during preheating. Setting it to 30 doesn't get it very warm anymore.

Our 2013 Tesla with 7.0 (56) firmware is sitting at the Mississauga service center this evening. <snip> will report back here later this week after the cabin heater replacement.

Coincidentally, mine is also at the Mississauga SC right now for the same thing. I hope this isn't an epidemic. :smile:

Picked up our car today and the firmware was updated to .77 and the cabin heater replaced (along with the refrigerant/liquid).

FIXED! The car heater blew hot the entire ride, I changed the temperature, fan speed, vent locations and various other settings to confirm. Defrost blew hot as well. Whew!

Thanks to Kevin @ Tesla for investigating our problem, and resolving it so rapidly. It amazes us how quickly Tesla is able to download logs, figure out the issue all without us needing to drop the car off for service until there was a repair slot open. We have never enjoyed better service for a vehicle. (except my Smart Electric Drive which has needed exactly ZERO service of any kind in the two years I've owned it)

Note that there was a bit of a rush to get this done, as we are heading away soon for 500 + km of driving this weekend including several late night drives to/from events.

Picked up our car today and the firmware was updated to .77 and the cabin heater replaced (along with the refrigerant/liquid).

FIXED! The car heater blew hot the entire ride, I changed the temperature, fan speed, vent locations and various other settings to confirm. Defrost blew hot as well. Whew!

Thanks to Kevin @ Tesla for investigating our problem, and resolving it so rapidly. It amazes us how quickly Tesla is able to download logs, figure out the issue all without us needing to drop the car off for service until there was a repair slot open. We have never enjoyed better service for a vehicle. (except my Smart Electric Drive which has needed exactly ZERO service of any kind in the two years I've owned it)

Note that there was a bit of a rush to get this done, as we are heading away soon for 500 + km of driving this weekend including several late night drives to/from events.

Thanks for the update. I have a little longer list of other items so mine will be returned in a few days but I'm assuming they are performing the same fix.

For those in this forum discussing the firmware version differences - mine was different after v7 was applied but still worked. However, 2 days ago it started providing only very cold air regardless of temperature setting, mode, or fan speed. I'm pretty sure this is not just a firmware problem but I'll report back once I find out for certain.

I'm wondering if it is a firmware change that is potentially detrimental to the HVAC system. Before the latest update the compressor was cycling more than before and there was a little bit of a burnt smell when the heater was supposedly on. In any event Tesla is on it with a resolution.

I'm wondering if it is a firmware change that is potentially detrimental to the HVAC system. Before the latest update the compressor was cycling more than before and there was a little bit of a burnt smell when the heater was supposedly on. In any event Tesla is on it with a resolution.

I always manually over-ride the a/c to off once the temperature drops. Always did this on past ICE cars as well to save gas. The compressor will come on if you select Defrost, even with it on over-ride so I can't see a downside.

I think the "burnt smell" is just dust burning off the heater elements. I've noticed it at the beginning of each cold season for the past few years, but it eventually goes away. It could possibly be exacerbated by the fact that the new algorithm seems to run the fan at lower speeds, so not as much air is passing over the coils.

I've noticed another oddity with v7: At a stop, the power meter will really fluctuate around as if the heater can't make up its mind about how much power to use. In the past, it would just sit steady when the car was stopped, and go down in steps over time as the car warmed up.

I also noticed that .77 does seem to run my fan speed a bit higher on Auto, but, IMHO, it's still too low.

Anyone have it where the heater won't hear the air since 7.0, it was cold this morning and I had the heater on hi for like 20 mins and nothing. This afternoon it worked fine. Also before my 7.0 my windshield fluid pump wasn't working, update to 7.0 and it magically worked for a few days and then nothing again

I think the "burnt smell" is just dust burning off the heater elements. I've noticed it at the beginning of each cold season for the past few years, but it eventually goes away.
Same experience and opinion here.

Also before my 7.0 my windshield fluid pump wasn't working, update to 7.0 and it magically worked for a few days and then nothing again

Sounds like an intermittent electrical...

or maybe it's what your reservoir is filled with: anti-freezing washer, or "summer bug formula", or worse, water? Maybe it froze up, and thawed, what's the O.Temp?