Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello Everyone! I'm new here! Ordering a 60d Model S and I have some ?'s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think he meant SC (service center) not SpC (supercharger). And I can attest the battery on new 60 is limited on top end. Supercharger was still blazing speed even at 197 miles of range.
I think he meant to say -- DC (destination charger). >42 amps can be useful when on trips. (Of course we are all guessing on what @theslimshadyist meant!)

Reactions: fasteddie7
Thank you everyone! I'm not sure if I need to create a new thread, but I feel this may be relevant here: Any advise on the long term as far as service goes and any surprises you may have had. I have been fortunate to own a vehicle for 5 years and had no issues and only regular maintenance. Should I prepare a modest set aside fund in case of issue, I read some horror stories on here (granted they were from three years ago so things may have changed) about unexpected service costing thousands.

Thank you everyone! I'm not sure if I need to create a new thread, but I feel this may be relevant here: Any advise on the long term as far as service goes and any surprises you may have had. I have been fortunate to own a vehicle for 5 years and had no issues and only regular maintenance. Should I prepare a modest set aside fund in case of issue, I read some horror stories on here (granted they were from three years ago so things may have changed) about unexpected service costing thousands.

All manufacturing issues are covered by the warranty. In fact, most people I have spoken to get their annual maintenance service done every other year. I would just save up to buy an extended warranty closer to the end of year 4. Adds 4 years for $4k

Isn't the dual charger option a $1900 upgrade?

You can enable the 72A vs 48A charging as an after market upgrade after buying on the new models, which is a $1900 upgrade after you buy, but they have dual chargers. I believe the 72A upgrade is also like the 75kWh upgrade from the 60, as they can upgrade it in software and doesn't require different hardware.

Reactions: BigAirHarper
On a cold day I have gotten as low as 50% of expected range.

I also installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage. Never had a need to charge faster than 29 miles per hour.

You shouldn't need a new breaker box. You will only use 40 amps while charging. Hard to believe your current breaker box can't handle the load. Of course if you don't have 2 adjacent breaker slots in your existing box you will need a sub panel.

My electrician charged $325 to install the outlet.

or you can move breakers around a bit and get two open slots adjacent.

I would recommend purchasing the extra service agreement (I believe it's for 3-8 years). At least in my neck of the woods it's worth it, because the ranger visits my garage and does the annual stuff. Also, the extended agreement covers more things than just manufacturer issues (you can check it out on Tesla's service webpage Service plans). To me, having peace of mind is worth it.

All manufacturing issues are covered by the warranty. In fact, most people I have spoken to get their annual maintenance service done every other year. I would just save up to buy an extended warranty closer to the end of year 4. Adds 4 years for $4k

True, true. Another way is to show off your car to all your jealous friends, take advantage of their sales credit program, and use it for out of warranty maintenance and service.

I have driven over 100,000 Tesla miles. No charge for "service" or "maintenance". Tesla replaced my cracking front windshield for free at 65K miles as it was a known problem. I think you will find this is a pretty easy car to own. Very few moving parts, no real maintenance, so owners try to develop ten step methods of washing and waxing their cars, and trading information on where to buy the best tires, which are about all that wear out.

What are some things that all of you current owners wish you knew when ordering? I'm new to zero emission vehicles, and I live in western Pennsylvania, so my primary available charger will be the one I install at my home. Is the necessary hardware included with the S or will there be more for me to purchase beside cable and a new breaker box? With a 90 mile commute round trip a day, 5 days a week, are there any concerns I should have with a 60D when the weather here gets crazy cold or hot? Does the weather and road conditions affect the range for those who have one now?

Thank you everyone and I'm excited to be part of the club!!!!
Get a bigger battery. Winter in PA take 30 percent off your range. Wish I had a bigger battery. I drove 36 miles one way in that harsh winter last year. It's doable but I say get the 75D myself. Also order the blanket you will see : P

True, true. Another way is to show off your car to all your jealous friends, take advantage of their sales credit program, and use it for out of warranty maintenance and service.

I have driven over 100,000 Tesla miles. No charge for "service" or "maintenance". Tesla replaced my cracking front windshield for free at 65K miles as it was a known problem. I think you will find this is a pretty easy car to own. Very few moving parts, no real maintenance, so owners try to develop ten step methods of washing and waxing their cars, and trading information on where to buy the best tires, which are about all that wear out.
This sentiment applies to me :) I like to tinker with my cars but I have been having nightmares about having NOTHING to do with my S! I don't want to jinx myself ( just kidding Murphy Gods) but I pick-up this Thursday.