Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello - new to the forum and looking for opinions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer the drive and looks of the Ipace over the Model 3. The following is assuming you can charge at home and the comments you posted above: If I had to choose between the two I would base it on how often you drive over 400 km in one day. If the answer is one to two trips a year or you don’t mind that it will take longer in the Jag, get the Ipace. If you take more road trips than that or don’t want to spend much time charging on road trips, I would get the Tesla.

Jaguar iPace SE on order ... (A good looking car, premium interior, EV capability that works for my lifestyle,...)

Advantages of the Model 3 are: performance (looking at the Performance model), range, charging infrastructure
You don't really seem to need these.

In Switzerland the Jaguar is much more expensive. For the same price I think I would not have choose the Telsa and rather the more exclusive iPace.

But... after a few long trips, it's now clear for me that long distance travel with an EV other than Tesla is currently not a reality (range, slow charging, chargers that don't work, ...). If you envisage any long trips with your car, you should really consider the Model 3.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
One issue with asking this question in the general forum is the charging infrastructure is a lot different where you are than it is in the states.

Like I wouldn't even consider the Jaguar because the charging infrastructure for it simply doesn't get anywhere close to that of the Model 3. With the Model 3 I have the supercharger stations, and destination charging. With the Jaguar I'd be pretty limited to mostly the Electrify America chargers.

If I was in Europe I would look into whether the charging options for the Model 3 satisfied my needs.

Reactions: Watts_Up
If as you say, it's subjective, then the only opinion that matters is yours.

I like Jags, the old classics, my neighbor growing up had an E. He was British. The newer Jags, meh. I'm not a big fan of the high-shoulder look. The Tesla interior is very Scandinavian, in my opinion, like Danish furniture. Austere, clean lines. I like it, helps to remind me to keep the car clean. I wanted something new, something futuristic, I got it. I've driven a horde of BMWs, Audis, and MBs, over the years, and I guess I got a little tired of the ever-increasing number of buttons. I used to joke that each button has some engineer responsible for it, and that every iteration that engineer has to improve his button just a little bit or lose his job. Because German engineers are good, buttons never disappear, only more buttons are created for ever more engineers.

Just a couple of more things to consider- 1) Tesla's over the air updates cause them to improve over time. My model 3 is significantly better now than when I first got it (even faster!). 2) Tesla's supercharging network is fantastic. It does sound like there are a lot more options for fast charging in the UK than here in the states, but it's totally seamless and fast. Good luck with your decision.

Great replies. Some more information / comments:

Have test driven both cars.
Practicality is mainly referring to the boot opening (hatch v one of the smallest saloon “holes”)
Range wise / charging network are a “win” for the Tesla, but my motoring life means that the Jaguar is not really a problem
Comparing Apples and Apples - from a lease cost perspective and size they are as close as I can get (at least in the UK)

I think the reason I am torn, is that the differences are really subjective.

Looks - externally the Jaguar IMO is better looking and more imposing. And also - never had a SUV/Cross-over and that is attractive. The Tesla is very “average” in comparison.

Interior - the minimalist Tesla interior is a bit “marmite” (aka polarising) and I cant tell if I like it or hate it? The Jaguar one is a very good modern “standard” interior. The internal materials are definitely of lesser quality - a result of the cheaper purchase price (but it doesn’t translate as markedly in monthly costs). The other thing is the floor height in the back and comfort for taller passengers.

Technology - a huge win for Tesla, but on my short-ish drive I found it unintuitive. Expect that this would be something I would learn quickly though.

Almost at the point of tossing a coin at the moment.
its obvious that you like the Jag....i think your comparison is really biased over little things.....you can't see the outside of the car when you are driving, so who are you trying to impress......its the performance and reliability of the car that counts....i believe people here have tried to give you some good advice but since you are in the UK, maybe the jag would be your better option....good luck with it....

• Informative
Reactions: Scapegoat
On a more serious note, I would test fit a child seat in each. That may show a clear advantage for one vs the other. I have no idea which is better, but I know the joy of anchoring a baby seat in a car that isn’t made for it. It is a sweaty, miserable affair.

BTW, range does make a difference. I was tempted to buy a used i3; a ‘14 can be had for $15k. I love the car. But the range makes some of my busier days no-gos. So the i3 is out. If a prospective buyer has a choice between a used Model 3 with 300 mi range and an i-pace with sub 200 mi range, you know what they will choose. Combine that with a lackluster service department, where the sole electric repair guy is out sick, for a manufacturer with a reputation for electrical snafus (hint: it’s not Tesla), and you have a problem.

Tesla fixed a braking problem with an OTA update to all cars. The safety issue with the Jag brakes requires a trip to JLR. There is a huge gap in tech between the two.

Think testing the car seat practicality is a good suggestion.

As for the other comments - for every argument I have for the Jaguar, I have a competing thought about the Tesla.

Model X is even more ugly for me, and way too expensive (£1200 a month lease). Ideal would be the model S if I could afford it.

If you could have Jaguar looks and build quality but with Tesla technology and charging infrastructure....perfection

Aesthetics are totally subjective. Personally, I find the iPace to look weird and don’t see it aging well. I’m on the side of Tesla’s exterior styling - I think all three of their models are going to be timeless. Interior wise, when I get in a “buttons and dials” car now it reminds me of being at a science museum where you can sit inside one of the old space capsules with switches, dials, and analog gauges. When I sit in my 3 (with the white interior) it feels very open and spacious. All of the key physical interactions happen on or around the steering wheel (turn signal, wipers, shifting, driver assist, music, etc) and the screen offers very easy access to everything else.

I have to say that this is pretty the only time I’ve ever seen someone compliment a Jag’s build quality. Our X and 3 have been excellent on that front with zero issues.

Aesthetics are totally subjective. Personally, I find the iPace to look weird and don’t see it aging well. I’m on the side of Tesla’s exterior styling - I think all three of their models are going to be timeless. Interior wise, when I get in a “buttons and dials” car now it reminds me of being at a science museum where you can sit inside one of the old space capsules with switches, dials, and analog gauges. When I sit in my 3 (with the white interior) it feels very open and spacious. All of the key physical interactions happen on or around the steering wheel (turn signal, wipers, shifting, driver assist, music, etc) and the screen offers very easy access to everything else.

I have to say that this is pretty the only time I’ve ever seen someone compliment a Jag’s build quality. Our X and 3 have been excellent on that front with zero issues.

You are right about the subjectivity.

After (another) back to back visit of the 2 dealerships this lunchtime I have decided to stick with the Jaguar.

Cannot get past the fact that I just don't like the Model 3's styling and whilst Jaguar interiors are not in the Audi/Mercedes/BMW class - I think they are better than the Tesla in terms of the feel of the plastics etc.

The decision was a close run thing though, as I love the technology and implementation and might have accepted the aesthetics if it wasn't for the boot. One attempt at getting our pram in it at the dealers was enough to realise that opening would be a real pain compared to the hatch of the iPace.

Thinking that the SR+ model (base version) will be our second car when its due for replacement in 12 months time - then we can be a 100% EV household.

Reactions: KenC
fter (another) back to back visit of the 2 dealerships this lunchtime I have decided to stick with the Jaguar.

Congrats on your decision !!! If the iPace was being sold when I got my Model 3 Performance, I may have gone with the Jaguar also. The fit and finish and delivery experience of my Model 3 was the worst I have ever had. Every question I had about the defects were met with the Delivery Adviser saying "It's within spec.". In all honesty, it didn't seem like he really cared.

• Informative
You are right about the subjectivity.

After (another) back to back visit of the 2 dealerships this lunchtime I have decided to stick with the Jaguar.

Cannot get past the fact that I just don't like the Model 3's styling and whilst Jaguar interiors are not in the Audi/Mercedes/BMW class - I think they are better than the Tesla in terms of the feel of the plastics etc.

The decision was a close run thing though, as I love the technology and implementation and might have accepted the aesthetics if it wasn't for the boot. One attempt at getting our pram in it at the dealers was enough to realise that opening would be a real pain compared to the hatch of the iPace.

Thinking that the SR+ model (base version) will be our second car when its due for replacement in 12 months time - then we can be a 100% EV household.

I think you have definitely made the right decision for your own circumstances. Hope the Jag works out for you. My biggest concern with the iPace would be dealer support if things went wrong. That and having to deal with public charging. But sounds like the latter won't affect you much.