Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Help Fight the FUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why this is FUD..filed in the "you've got to be kidding me" category...via Hotcars and David Rhee

Here's the byline: "There's still some hope left for the internal combustion engine as 3 Mustang GTs take down A Tesla Plaid at the drag strip"

Here's the conclusion: "The outcomes may have been the result of driver skill or perhaps the Mustangs' modifications."

More FUD right in the title...and cherry picks only supportive data to the FUD narrative.

Benzinga: Tesla Investors To Brace For Recall Of 40,000 Model 3, X EVs While Stock Already Under Pressure - Tesla (.

I will say, the astroturfing of FUD on Reddit is off the charts right now. Some groups are definitely using vote manipulation and leveraging the recent Elon-hate to push some stupid misinformation.

Here was one that got 25.6k karma from yesterday:
And one standing at 12.1k karma from today:
There are a few folks realizing it's inauthentic in the comments, but you can also see people sharing those "Tesla death" or "Tesla fire" sites in the comments as if they're unbiased authoritative sources.

WP and Dan FUD. I found a non-walled version here: archive.ph

This article is more of a biography promoting Dan. The article does NOT disclose that GHS has a massive bet on ADAS and how Dan/GHS stands to lose a ton of money if FSD succeeds.

It says this - "O’Dowd, who made his fortune selling software to military customers,..."

Then much later, this - "O’Dowd’s critics allege his campaign against Tesla is self-serving: One of his customers — Intel-owned Mobileye — makes a computer chip that runs driver- assist and self-driving software. O’Dowd says Mobileye is just one of hundreds of customers and his motivation is driven purely by his concerns about the safety of Tesla’s tech."

Since GHS is private we have no idea what kind of a financial state they are in. However, they did a big partnership with Cadence back on 2019, where 16% was sold I'd imagine in order to raise money.

"Cadence has invested about $150 million that represents an approximate 16 percent ownership interest in Green Hills, and Cadence CEO, Lip-Bu Tan, has joined the Green Hills Board of Directors."

Guessing that Cadence is helping GHS bring up ADAS products: AI / Machine Learning

FUD from CNNs Michael Ballaban, former editor in chief of Jalopnik from Jan 2021

I post this now as my son was forced to watch this in school last week, Social Studies class, as it is on a channel called CNN10 they force kids to watch.

Anyone watch one of Kyle's Youtube channels? I usually really like his content as it is very engineering focused and detailed.

However, like many YT'ers, he has sponsors, one of them is Magna. Never heard of them? Well, click the link and you tell me if you think they compete with Tesla. I'll wait....

I think they not only directly compete on EV drivetrains and ADAS, but they are big and getting bigger with a recent ADAS acquisition 2 days ago, check out Wikipedia for details. They sell to every major legacy company. Ring any bells? This is very similar to another company called Green Hills and Dan O'Dowd.

So, that brings me to the Kyle FUD he just put out this morning. I say FUD due to many things, but you can watch and come to your own conclusions

Well, maybe - I've watched a fair number of his videos by now, and generally enjoy the content and have found him reasonable and fair for the most part.
In this case, his channel count has exploded this year, and I would somewhat counter your point by noting he has to come up with a tremendous amount of content now. Having watched his FSD Beta first time video a couple days ago, I am not surprised to see this follow up, as he was concerned about how surrounding drivers perceived his vehicle's actions, multiple times. It is a concern, I am a driver who is always considering how my actions signal intent to other drivers, so I would be one of those who would disengage frequently when FSD is hesitating or positioning itself in a confusing way.
*Edit to add: I'm not sure how much that channel with only a little over 120K subscribers will move the needle with the broader FUD out there.

The latest video Kyle put out today showing how all the new EA chargers in Colorado are failing in the cold has this piece of commentary in it if you listen at 23:30 for about a minute. From this point.

"I keep coming to the same conclusion, buy a Tesla or buy a gas car to go on trips"

He also multiple times commented on the reliability of the supercharger network and how he easily charged his Tesla that day at one. I can't imagine someone being manipulated by a sponsor to be anti-Tesla being allowed to say that.

I've known Kyle for many years, from long before he started making youtube videos. He is not one to manipulate and intentionally spread FUD.
Sure hope so, he's one of the few that nearly gets all details correct when reviewing EVs.

His engineering is right up there with Rob at Tesla Daily for financials.

Reactions: israndy