Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Fight the FUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus, GreenTheOnly must not be up to speed on the climate news of the past few decades, or weeks?

It is beyond pathetic when otherwise intelligent and informed people act in stupid and ignorant ways. With so many uninformed among us, it is INCUMBENT for those with more than rocks between their ears to act--if they don't, just who do they think will?!?

AND:

UN chief Antonio Guterres says a major new report on climate change is a "survival guide for humanity".
Clean energy and technology can be exploited to avoid the growing climate disaster, the report says.
But at a meeting in Switzerland to agree their findings, climate scientists warned a key global temperature goal will likely be missed.
Their report lays out how rapid cuts to fossil fuels can avert the worst effects of climate change.

Source:

AND:

Fierce negotiations between countries working to protect their financial and political interests ultimately “watered down” a landmark climate report released last week by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, according to a series of recent reports and investigations.

The findings highlight what activists have long warned is hampering meaningful global action to curb rising temperatures—namely, that vested interests are preventing nations from cooperating when it comes to how, exactly, they plan to reduce their emissions and fund efforts to adapt.

Source:

From my perspective, yays & nays:

1. 65mph + 15% is 75mph.
Verdict: A shrug there. Probable a point to Green

2. Driving a Model X. Is that supposed to be something against him? If so, I’ll be interested to hear words about those driving a CT.
Veridict: Point to Green

3. IF it is the case line-waiting for charging hampers trip efficiency, THEN I am sympathetic to Green’s statement.
Verdict: Not enough information

4. 3h23m of stops for a 14h13m drive. By my predilections, that is about 1/3 more - maximum - than the comparable amount of downtime time in an ICE, in that w/ICE, it is normal to have to devote separate times for refueling the vehicle and refueling the driver.
Verdict: Multiple points away from Green

5. A 14+ hr trip, no matter during what time of day one undertakes it, encompasses a full day, period. That being the case, and with not many years but many decades of ultra-long (>2000km) trips of experience, I KNOW the supreme advantage in terms of restfulness and alertness that multiple short stops provide vs. dogging it out over 8- and 10-hour legs.
Verdict: Green does not know what he’s talking about.

For sheer speed, my Honda Insight with a 10 gallon tank that goes 700 miles EPA would be the best for low stop time, but the fact that I can point the nose of a Tesla and it will look for cars in the rear view and get out of the fast lane or out of the right lane to make sure the trip continues w/o events and be at around the speed dedicated in settings, there is NO WAY a Gas car is getting me there with that little effort. And with modern Teslas charge speed you barely have time to pee before it's time to get back on the road. Hope you did all your navigating correctly as you won't have time to think about it while you are stopped. Perhaps he needs an 800v car to charge even faster, of course you lose the superior navigation, charge network, and self driving. Maybe a Cybertruck would be good after all

For sheer speed, my Honda Insight with a 10 gallon tank that goes 700 miles EPA would be the best for low stop time, but the fact that I can point the nose of a Tesla and it will look for cars in the rear view and get out of the fast lane or out of the right lane to make sure the trip continues w/o events and be at around the speed dedicated in settings, there is NO WAY a Gas car is getting me there with that little effort. And with modern Teslas charge speed you barely have time to pee before it's time to get back on the road. Hope you did all your navigating correctly as you won't have time to think about it while you are stopped. Perhaps he needs an 800v car to charge even faster, of course you lose the superior navigation, charge network, and self driving. Maybe a Cybertruck would be good after all
what, your Honda Insight gives you 70 miles to a gallon?

EPA rated, it's the first one from 2000 when I got it new (Not a Prius person), the EPA went back and gave the car a lower score on the later models. Doesn't mean I get the EPA rating, I think my lifetime is 62 MPG, but I have also driven from SF to LA and BACK on a single 10 gallon tank, that worked out to be 93.5 MPG when I hypermile, and I am not good at it, people regularly pass triple digits, though they may not be using the freeway to get that rate.

It's cheaper to drive that car than my Tesla with the current price of gas and Supercharging, it's nice and zippy like my Model 3, doesn't seem to have ANY mechanical issues, in 23 years I have only changed the oil and had one 12v battery swap, although I did have the Hybrid Battery swapped under warranty at 105,000 miles. Now at 165,000 miles just like my Model 3. It does leak in the rain and the passenger seatbelt will get wet and the clear coat is starting to go just above the driver door. I have it configured to tow behind my TM3, or Jeep, or my two RVs. Great for moving vehicles by myself, so I haven't been able to bring myself to sell it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doggydogworld
EPA rated, it's the first one from 2000 when I got it new (Not a Prius person), the EPA went back and gave the car a lower score on the later models. Doesn't mean I get the EPA rating, I think my lifetime is 62 MPG, but I have also driven from SF to LA and BACK on a single 10 gallon tank, that worked out to be 93.5 MPG when I hypermile, and I am not good at it, people regularly pass triple digits, though they may not be using the freeway to get that rate.

It's cheaper to drive that car than my Tesla with the current price of gas and Supercharging, it's nice and zippy like my Model 3, doesn't seem to have ANY mechanical issues, in 23 years I have only changed the oil and had one 12v battery swap, although I did have the Hybrid Battery swapped under warranty at 105,000 miles. Now at 165,000 miles just like my Model 3. It does leak in the rain and the passenger seatbelt will get wet and the clear coat is starting to go just above the driver door. I have it configured to tow behind my TM3, or Jeep, or my two RVs. Great for moving vehicles by myself, so I haven't been able to bring myself to sell it.
when I _tried_ to hypermile in my old 2005 Prius, it consisted of a lot of coasting that would have been quite irritating to folks behind me. it held 9.9 gallons.
having driven the Grapevine a couple of times, you could coast down it......

I now drive mostly on photons (sunlight) converted to electrons that are in higher shells of the Li atom, usually a few micrograms of them if i understand M=E/C^2 correctly

Seems like we need a word in this society for when someone is trying to dismiss the greater good for the status quo by calling the aspirational path expensive or inefficient.

"We can't have reverse race bias to make up for centuries of race bias because it means the best person for the job isn't gonna get it." This is obviously a facetious argument, but for some reason it rings true with voters.

If we just had a word for it, we could call it out when people use this kind of argument. Something powerful like Rapist, or a term like Straw Man that everyone knows the meaning of for when cigarette companies question the science or oil companies spread fear about the economy if regulators are allowed to regulate.

[QUOTE="israndy, post: 7884715, member: 45170"we need a word in this society for when someone is trying to dismiss the greater good for the status quo by calling the aspirational path expensive or inefficient. [/QUOTE]

Finally, we finally can forgo reason and common sense in the name of adhering to the "greater good" political correctness. As defined by some rando's.
What would we all do without tyrannical "greater good" determinism?

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that the words 'Reason and Common Sense' are used a lot by people who are being anti-scientific, but I am looking for a better word than that. Something pithy and clever like Death Tax to make you oppose a very reasonable Inheritance Tax. It seems like people arguing against EVs always use crazy stats but the final figure always manages to be an attractive one. There needs to be a good word we can use to deride those who present these arguments.

Reposting Twitter/X nonsense?
Is that assertion true though?

The underlying source Twit references is biased source of fake news, lazy thinking, and illogical conclusions.
*lame & sad*.
1699037744688.png

You are undermining you own credibility with reposting FLUFF pieces like that one.

If you want folks to take you (and this thread) seriously, post the numbers that substantiate your claims!
We are all intelligent enough to draw our own conclusions when presented with legitimate data points.

The underlying source Twit references is biased source of fake news, lazy thinking, and illogical conclusions.
*lame & sad*.
View attachment 987643

You are undermining you own credibility with reposting FLUFF pieces like that one.

If you want folks to take you (and this thread) seriously, post the numbers that substantiate your claims!
We are all intelligent enough to draw our own conclusions when presented with legitimate data points.
It was 30-50000 km 4.5 years ago. Things have improved since then, so 13000 miles (20000 km approx) seems perfectly reasonable. Do you have reliable figures as comparison? Not anything that has been debunked many times like old Volvo hack job

Calm down.

If someone spouts nonsense (I am not suggesting the message in that post is nonsense) on TV, you don't blame your Panasonic TV, do you? Twitter is just a medium where people share information. If you think the source is not credible, you may have a point. In this case the source is not the TMC poster or the Twitter poster. The visual/graph comes from a non-profit institution called Carbon Brief - Home - Carbon Brief - which I believe is a reasonably credible source. Do they have an agenda and fudging data? Possible. But that is for you to prove.

On the same token if some crap comes out of NYT or WSJ or CNBC that does not make it credible either.

Last edited: