Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting Blizzaks put on the minivan today. I'll leave the Tesla in the garage when snow and ice are in the forecast. Lesson learned. I'm just so use to the weatherman getting it wrong most of the time, it's hard to take them seriously. And apparently I wasn't the only one: How did an inch of snow shut down Portland? Hubris and bad timing It does seem strange that such a small amount of snow could mess things up so badly. I do have a couple of theories. 1. The temperature being right around freezing causes the snow to be wet and slippery. If it was well below freezing and it was a dry powdery snow it wouldn't be very slippery. Also they don't use salt on our streets. They use a chemical deicer that they apply prior to freezing weather. I think it helps keep away black ice for the most part, but with snow it gets diluted and watery, allowing ice to form along with the water layers, so it could make things worse than without the deicer. 2. By far the majority of people just stick with all season tires. We don't get enough snow to warrant having to deal with having two sets of tires. The only people I know that get snow tires are people that snow-ski regularly. Also, studded tires are loud, and are frowned upon by many for chewing up our streets. There needs to be more education about the effectiveness of the modern stud-less snow tire. Even after doing the research I find it hard to believe that stud-less is the way to go. I grew up with my dad always buying studded snow tires. I can' wait to try out the new Blizzaks. Nothing like driving a minivan to really help you appreciate your Tesla. I haven't driven my Tesla since Wednesday:eek:

Downtown Lake Oswego. It's 28 degrees in this shot and the roads are a wet slushy icy mess. I'm guessing without the chemical deicer, the street would be covered with a much friendlier layer of not-so-slippery snow. Just a theory.
IMG_1826.JPG
Slick as snot.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
when it snows and the temp is just below freezing can be the worst conditions in my opinion. The problem is that the road takes a little longer to cool and thus the snow melts at fist and the over time freezes and then the chaos begins. I also believe at lower temps you also get a thin film of water over the ice and that can also make things more slick (especially winter tires that are not well rated on ice).

I live in Portland suburbs on a hill. My street is covered with snow. My volt with Blizzaks has no problem. I tried to take my 85D out with 19" Primacy's and the dual motor had good traction when moving up the hill but when I stopped, the car slid down the hill about 10 feet. Luckily it eventually stopped and I was able to get back to my driveway. The S is staying in the garage until the snow melts :)

I live in Portland suburbs on a hill. My street is covered with snow. My volt with Blizzaks has no problem. I tried to take my 85D out with 19" Primacy's and the dual motor had good traction when moving up the hill but when I stopped, the car slid down the hill about 10 feet. Luckily it eventually stopped and I was able to get back to my driveway. The S is staying in the garage until the snow melts :)

I tend to think this is more a demonstration of the difference between Blizzaks and Primacys than anything about the cars involved - I'm pretty sure the S would do even better than the Volt with proper snow tires on it.

I made it and got my car tucked away in the garage and plugged in. My wife couldn't believe I made it. Her van was stuck a few miles away. She was like how did you do that? It's a Tesla, was my answer. Man, I love this car.

Glad to see you made it okay. As others have suggested, if you get into this in the future, the seat heater and a 12V blanket are probably the best answer. Here's the one I keep in my Frunk, just in case (along with the UMC, a bunch of adapters, a 240V extension cord and a 120V 15/20A one - can you tell I was a Boy Scout? :) )

Amazon.com: Trademark Tools 75-BP700 12V Plaid Electric Blanket for Automobile: Automotive

Wow, that's scary!

Haven't had that kind of problem with my Hakka R2s/R8s (knock on wood).

im always amazed how much snow north america has considering how far "south" it is of europe.

How come there is so much snow on the streets? Does america not have a sweeping service when it snows?
It doesnt even look like that much snow?

The British Isles and parts of Europe benefit from the warm tropical waters of the Gulf Stream. Cold air coming down from Canada and the north frequently mix with warm tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico and provide our snow. Generally cities in the North have snow plows and other removal equipment. In the south, not so much a snow is far less prevalent.
A dusting of snow can be very slick just as the first part of a rain shower. That light dusting could actually be on top of ice depending on how the storm developed.
That is by no means meant to be a definitive explanation of what happens (except the Gulf Stream part. When the "conveyor" stops working or reverses we are all screwed and global warming will have seemed a pleasant predicament).

Cold air coming down from Canada and the north frequently mix with warm tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico and provide our snow.
Canada = arctic north west. The "east of Canada" is not far north, but we suffer from the same winter issue. We call the "polar Vortex" an Alberta clipper. Arctic high pressure blows absurdly cold air down to the midwest/northeast. It blows over the warm Great Lakes to dump feet of snow (see Buffalo). Then it goes away.

Reactions: Ciaopec
The British Isles and parts of Europe benefit from the warm tropical waters of the Gulf Stream. Cold air coming down from Canada and the north frequently mix with warm tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico and provide our snow. <snip>
That is by no means meant to be a definitive explanation of what happens (except the Gulf Stream part. When the "conveyor" stops working or reverses we are all screwed and global warming will have seemed a pleasant predicament).

Canada = arctic north west. The "east of Canada" is not far north, but we suffer from the same winter issue. We call the "polar Vortex" an Alberta clipper. Arctic high pressure blows absurdly cold air down to the midwest/northeast. It blows over the warm Great Lakes to dump feet of snow (see Buffalo). Then it goes away.

If that was taken as a "slight" against Canada, I apologize. Upon rereading it did seem a bit parochial in scope. :)

This was yesterday, before noon. Hopefully it helps you folks with snow feel a little warmer!

View attachment 206540

I have been fond of that valiant flying squirrel, eternally battling an air stream, seemingly never destined to land.

Now, I welcome that little beast to come join me in Washington, DC, next month, for a week or two. Enjoy our January breezes! Hunt nuts or food of any kind (best of luck!). Maybe he/she would be so kind as to donate his/her sweet furry hide to the cause of keeping me warm!

I feel warmer already. :)

Alan

• Love
Reactions: Btrflyl8e
The Flying Squirrel doesn't venture north of Central Florida from October to March. So sorry, maybe you can just put those seat warmers to good use!

Not to rub it in, but check out this morning before dawn:

20161219_061652.jpg

Wow, that's scary!

Haven't had that kind of problem with my Hakka R2s/R8s (knock on wood).

What's really fun is when you HAVE studs and you're still sliding backwards down the hill (and gaining speed) with the parking brake on and in park. Had to change my shorts after that one - no damage, miraculously, the snowbanks were soft enough, and I was eventually able to get it facing downhill.

• Love
Reactions: Gwgan and Pollux
@Bangor - whew! I like driving in snow, and have wound up in some awkward situations, largely due to my own idiocy, but happy never to have had an uncontrolled backward slide. With studded tires to boot! I'm impressed. Teach me, master!

@Soaring Squirrel - yow, 73 degrees before dawn! Squirrel might need some serious AC. Or... maybe the gliding is also very cooling, yes?

What's really fun is when you HAVE studs and you're still sliding backwards down the hill (and gaining speed) with the parking brake on and in park. Had to change my shorts after that one - no damage, miraculously, the snowbanks were soft enough, and I was eventually able to get it facing downhill.
I'm glad you brought this up. I was trying to figure out how to turn off the "hill hold" when I was out in the snow. I didn't want to worry about the wheels being locked if I started to slide. I even called Tesla, while I was stuck in traffic, to see if I could turn off the function, but they didn't know of anyway to disable it. I just kept a close eye on it, but I thought it would be nice if I didn't have to. I'm not sure if my concern makes sense to anyone else or not. Maybe this is a topic for another thread?