Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry to hear about your problem.
Unfortunately I didn't pack my charging cord.
There is a lesson here: Any time you are going to take a trip where there is a possibility that you might need to use the bottom 25% of your battery, put your charging cable in the trunk OR make sure you know where some charging stations are. Use Plugshare.

An hour and a half ago you said you had 100 miles of range left. You are in the Portland area. There area a lot of EV chargers n that area. There is also a Tesla destination charger here:

Babica Hen Cafe 15964 Boones Ferry Rd Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035

This forum is so awesome, I love how everyone is trying to help out our stranded compatriot! And it is a good thing you are in an EV, because sleeping in ICE car with the heat on would run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. One more check in the pro column for EV's! Hope it all works out for you.... stay warm.

P.S.: When we lived in Wyoming, we always carried a blanket and/or sleeping bag and some emergency food in the car for these situations, not a bad idea for any cold weather travel.

Last edited:
This forum is so awesome, I love how everyone is trying to help out our stranded compatriot! And it is a good thing you are in an EV, because sleeping in ICE car with the heat on would run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. One more check in the pro column for EV's! Hope it all works out for you.... stay warm.

P.S.: When we lived in Wyoming, we always carried a blanket and/or sleeping bag and some emergency food in the car for these situations, not a bad idea for any cold weather travel.
I worked with a guy that died from heating his sleeping camper with his truck. I abhor the smell of ice exhaust. I've had an electric lawnmowers and power tools for well over 15 years. Now finally I have an electric car

IMG_3677.JPG
I finally found a restaurant that wasn't closed and was serving food. Im starting to get in the Christmas spirit. It doesn't get any better than this.

Hi, @ELECTROMAN,

Sorry I'm not able to keep up with you in real-time. You are getting excellent advice: don't experiment much with the full-bore heating system, as it'll cost you too much range for the situation you're in; go on plugshare and find a Tesla owner who lives nearby and call him now before it gets much later. For instance, there's a guy with a Lake Oswego address over near Country Club Lane who has a 220v outlet that you could use. He's a Tesla owner, so chances are good he'd have a cable you could borrow. Or, if you can get across the Willamette, there's a guy with a NEMA 14-50 who says that it's available for Tesla S/X owners; he, too, might have a cable. (You'll need to join plugshare.com as a member to be able to see these homes.)

As for RWD Teslas in winter conditions... while you're on all-seasons and I'd rather have you on Hakka R2s or some other winter tire, I think you'll find that if you drive respectfully of the conditions, you'll be just fine. (I owned an RWD Tesla for three years in Boston.)

Alan

P.S. While it won't help you now, my rule of thumb is to NEVER leave home without the UMC and its various adapters, all bundled up in the little Tesla carrying pouch. At home, I use an HPWC, which is nailed to the wall, and whose cable is integral to the unit, so none of that can go walk-about. If you prefer not to use an HPWC, you might consider purchasing a second UMC so you have one for home and one exclusively for the car. With a dedicated UMC in the car, you'll never run out of power, because there are so many 120 and 240 plugs in the world, far more than there are gas stations. You might lose some time, but you'll never run out our juice.

This was me yesterday once I reached the SuperCharger:

View attachment 205900

I was sweating it when I was coming exiting the offramp and the car in front hit the brakes which slowed my momentum. So when I accelerated, car was very slow to pick up speed. I thought I wasn't going to make it. Was still about half a mile to destination.

Awesome! Welcome to the single digit club. Not bad for day 3(?) of ownership.

Edit: Wait a minute. 62F? What's up with that? Scam? :)

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

There is a lesson here: Any time you are going to take a trip where there is a possibility that you might need to use the bottom 25% of your battery, put your charging cable in the trunk OR make sure you know where some charging stations are. Use Plugshare.

An hour and a half ago you said you had 100 miles of range left. You are in the Portland area. There area a lot of EV chargers n that area. There is also a Tesla destination charger here:

Babica Hen Cafe 15964 Boones Ferry Rd Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035
I forgot about looking for destination chargers. I went to Babica, mostly out of curuiosity, about 9pm. Traffic had cleared up pretty good and now it was time to check out the MS60's inclement weather performance. Very impressive. Handled like a dream. It got me the three miles to the cafe with relative ease. The charger I initially found was a Clipper Creek destination charger. I got out the appropriate adapter and plugged it in. Didn't work, said I had a charging fault. I tried it a few more times and gave up. As I was hanging it up I spied a Tesla destination charger at the next parking spot over. I plugged it in and I was getting about 4 miles of charge per hour and I had some charging error message. So I got back out and shoved the connector in a little harder. Problem solved. I got back in and cranked up the heat. My phone was dead and the built in Tesla phone charger wasn't working. I was able to use the Tesla browser to email my wife and let her know what I was doing. Everyone says the browser is practically useless, but I beg to differ. After I got warm it was time to check out the back to see how comfortable it was for sleeping. It wasn't very comfortable without any pads or a sleeping bag, so I knew I was going to have to try to make it back home. I checked traffic conditions with the browser and decided it was time to go.

I felt pretty confident the Tesla could make it after having tested it out earlier. It's about a 300' elevation gain for the last couple of miles to my house, so I was still very worried about making it all of the way. I sure as hell didn't want to leave my brand new car outside all night with cars sliding around everywhere. As I started to ascend the hills I saw more and more stranded cars. The closer I got to my house the more carnage there was. There was a good mile of abandoned cars lined up along the sides of the road. Lots of AWD vehicles and even cars with chains. I had to turn around at one point and go a different way, because the whole road was blocked with cars. I was nearly at the top of the hill when I had a little over a car width of space between two abandoned cars I had to squeeze through at about 30 miles an hour. I had to keep my momentum up so I didn't get stuck too. I made it and got my car tucked away in the garage and plugged in. My wife couldn't believe I made it. Her van was stuck a few miles away. She was like how did you do that? It's a Tesla, was my answer. Man, I love this car.

At Babica. I'll have to return when they are open and check this place out:
IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG

Safe and sound:
IMG_3706.JPG

Carnage the following morning. This Volt couldn't even make it:
IMG_1853 (1).JPG

IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1841.JPG

I went to Babica, mostly out of curuiosity, about 9pm. Traffic had cleared up pretty good and now it was time to check out the MS60's inclement weather performance. Very impressive. Handled like a dream. It got me the three miles to the cafe with relative ease. The charger I initially found was a Clipper Creek destination charger. I got out the appropriate adapter and plugged it in. Didn't work, said I had a charging fault. I tried it a few more times and gave up. As I was hanging it up I spied a Tesla destination charger at the next parking spot over
That's the location I posted about. I'm glad you found it and were able to charge. And now you know about the Tesla Destination Chargers and how to locate them using the "Find Us" page at tesla.com

It's about a 300' elevation gain for the last couple of miles to my house, so I was still very worried about making it all of the way. I sure as hell didn't want to leave my brand new car outside all night with cars sliding around everywhere. As I started to ascend the hills I saw more and more stranded cars. The closer I got to my house the more carnage there was. There was a good mile of abandoned cars lined up along the sides of the road. Lots of AWD vehicles and even cars with chains. I had to turn around at one point and go a different way, because the whole road was blocked with cars. I was nearly at the top of the hill when I had a little over a car width of space between two abandoned cars I had to squeeze through at about 30 miles an hour. I had to keep my momentum up so I didn't get stuck too. I made it and got my car tucked away in the garage and plugged in. My wife couldn't believe I made it. Her van was stuck a few miles away. She was like how did you do that? It's a Tesla, was my answer. Man, I love this car.
That is hilarious. Roads littered with stuck ICE cars and your Tesla just drove right by them, no problem.

Glad everything turned out okay.