Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm glad you brought this up. I was trying to figure out how to turn off the "hill hold" when I was out in the snow. I didn't want to worry about the wheels being locked if I started to slide. I even called Tesla, while I was stuck in traffic, to see if I could turn off the function, but they didn't know of anyway to disable it. I just kept a close eye on it, but I thought it would be nice if I didn't have to. I'm not sure if my concern makes sense to anyone else or not. Maybe this is a topic for another thread?
Hill hold releases itself after about one second.

Right, that brake hold with the symbol of (H) in the dash is a slightly different function than hill hold.
You're right, it's not called hill hold. It's called vehicle hold. I was a little nervous about trusting it to hold my car. There's a thread on here where someone is claiming it released and allowed them to roll back into a car. Hill Control Lies! Rolled back and hit a car :( According to the manual it doesn't just release for no reason. I think I will start to trust it a little more. I wonder if you can shift into neutral without pressing on the brake. I'll try it after work.

Vehicle Hold (as quoted from the manual):

"When Model S is stopped, Vehicle Hold continues to apply the brakes even after you remove your foot from the brake pedal. When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as you normally would. You can release the brake pedal, and remain stopped (even on a hill), whenever the instrument panel displays the Vehicle Hold indicator light. This indicator displays on the instrument panel whenever Vehicle Hold is engaged. To disengage Vehicle Hold, press the accelerator pedal or press and release the brake pedal. Note: Shifting into Neutral also disengages Vehicle Hold. Note: After actively braking Model S for approximately 10 minutes, Model S shifts into Park and Vehicle Hold cancels. Model S also shifts into Park if it detects that the driver has left the vehicle."