Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! I'm stuck in a snow storm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on how cold it is, what temp you have the interior set for, how long you run the heater, etc.

How much distance until you get home?

Worst case scenario: Running at full blast, it seems the heater uses around 6-8kW, so if you run it at full blast for 1hr, it will use 6-8kWh. Figure 3 miles per kWh and that will be 18-24 miles of range per hour at full power (it won't run at full power the whole time, unless it is so cold that the heater must run at full blast the whole time -- usually the car warms up and then the heater ramps down).

Seat heaters are your friend. They will use much less energy, and help you stay warm. Keeping the interior in the low 70s will take quite a bit of power.

How many miles of charge does running the heater use. I'm stuck in Lake Oswego Oregon and can't get home. All traffic has come to a very slow crawl. I may have to sleep in my car. I have 100 miles of range left. Day #3 with my new car

You want to use seat heaters, heated steering wheel etc. You do not want to use the actual heater to circulate hot air.

I read an article on it, will try to dig it back up. Basically the heater for air uses a LOT of energy. The seat heaters, use a fraction of it and will keep you warm for much longer.

Keep yourself warm and stay safe.

IMG_1825.JPG
Sounds like I don't want to run the heater all night unless the car's plugged in. Space car grounded.

Dunno exactly where you are in Lake Oswego but here are some charging options, courtesy of plugshare.com:

Trolley lot,
311 N State St, Lake Oswego‎ OR‎ 97034, United States
3 120V plugs

Shore power, in front of Shell gas station
209 A Ave Lake Oswego, Oregon 97034
4 120V plugs, claimed @ 20A

Office Building
500 1st St, Lake Oswego, OR, 97034
Blink network chargers, 2 J1772, subject to Blink network fees

Quite a few others are available, depending on where you are now and how difficult it is to reach them. Since you have internet access, try looking at plugshare.com.

Good luck!

Alan

P.S. of the three I've cited, the Blink chargers -- if they work, if you can gain access to them -- are your speediest charging option.

P.P.S. I'd've described the picture you sent as showing a "dusting" of snow. Is that amount really grinding traffic to a halt?! Wow.

Keep in mind that with 120V (even @20A), with the heater on full blast in that cold you'll be using energy faster then you're gaining. Of course it's better than nothing at all, but a 240V J1772 would be much better.

Dunno exactly where you are in Lake Oswego but here are some charging options, courtesy of plugshare.com:

Trolley lot,
311 N State St, Lake Oswego‎ OR‎ 97034, United States
3 120V plugs

Shore power, in front of Shell gas station
209 A Ave Lake Oswego, Oregon 97034
4 120V plugs, claimed @ 20A

Office Building
500 1st St, Lake Oswego, OR, 97034
Blink network chargers, 2 J1772, subject to Blink network fees

Quite a few others are available, depending on where you are now and how difficult it is to reach them. Since you have internet access, try looking at plugshare.com.

Good luck!

Alan

P.S. of the three I've cited, the Blink chargers -- if they work, if you can gain access to them -- are your speediest charging option.

P.P.S. I'd've described the picture you sent as showing a "dusting" of snow. Is that amount really grinding traffic to a halt?! Wow.
Unfortunately I didn't pack my charging cord. I'm going to run a 15 minute experiment with my heat on high to see what happens to my range.

Reactions: neroden
Unfortunately I didn't pack my charging cord. I'm going to run a 15 minute experiment with my heat on high to see what happens to my range.

I really wouldn't do that. I drove through the midwest in single digit to sub-zero weather last year, and I made it through by using the seat warmers, the HVAC on sparingly, and a heated blanket plugged into the 12v.

Not a good idea as you're wasting the range you may need to get home.
The J1772 charging stations don't use your UMC, just the adapter which always stays in your car (it is in your car, right?)
No hotels nearby?

Reactions: neroden
I really wouldn't do that. I drove through the midwest in single digit to sub-zero weather last year, and I made it through by using the seat warmers, the HVAC on sparingly, and a heated blanket plugged into the 12v.
Good advise.
Experiment done. I'm warm now, but I lost about 4 miles of range. That shows how extraordinarily efficient the motor is.