Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide if I buy FSD this weekend, or not! ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Should jordanair45 upgrade to FSD for his Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just look at the newest enhanced summon video - the car is driving in the left side of the road when left on its own.... that is simply veery far away from FSD.

Enhanced Summon is probably using a rules-based code that has little to do with ”FSD”. (Other than being grouped in the FSD package these days.)

The bigger question is does any other code or neural network for ”FSD” exist at Tesla that would handle this better once finished — or is it all not done yet?

Tesla is saying feature complete Level 5 by end of 2019 so they should have something. It can’t be Enhanced Summon, I think that is just a separate feature that can be shipped earlier they hope (not requiring HW3 etc)...

When I bought my car, FSD (according to Elon Musk) meant that you could summon your car from across the city and it would come to you. Or you could send it to pick up your kids and bring them home. I didn't buy it because I didn't believe it. I bought EAP, which I love. The differences between EAP and AP are (IMO) minor.

Now, FSD means that AP is extended to several new driver-assist features, but there must be a driver in the car who must pay attention at all times and must be ready to take over at a moment's notice. You must be fully alert the whole time.

People who have paid for FSD still to this day have no features that my car with EAP does not have. All they've done is stop selling the EAP package, and offer exactly the same features, for more money, and call it FSD, with promises of some pretty nice-sounding features (but still Level 2: full driver attention required) which they seem unable to provide.

My vote: Don't buy FSD. Your next car after this one might have something along the lines of FSD that's worth paying for. I believe it's coming. But it's a few years away, not a few months.

Everyone has their own reasons for buying... most of it occurs from a basis of trusting the company to deliver its word, or wanting a HW3 retrofit (again trusting company to deliver). While there have been examples recently that would shake trust, as a whole I still believe that this company can deliver. Look historically. Even having observed EAP since 2017 it has made leaps and bounds. Maybe not at the speed we expect, they have and will continue to miss deadlines. And while a solution for FSD is far more complicated than mastering the game of go, using that as a surrogate you can see at a certain point this will take off and accelerate in capability. While there is debate if our current hardware configuration can really handle level 5, I’m still optimistic that HW 3 will deliver some incredible features if it misses level 5 FSD. If fate leaves me without level 5 FSD, it will be an excuse to upgrade to a current Tesla at that point.

We’re just sitting in that plateau right now and it’s hard to see out. it will likely take longer but an eye on the long game is key.

It is a personal decision for everyone. Best of luck with the decision!

I see a very significant difference between autosteer with tacc, and NoA/city in that the former even at Level 2 (full driver attention required) greatly eases the stress of driving, because it relieves the driver of the constant micro-steering needed to stay in the lane. Most of the mental effort of driving along a given street is this micro-steering. Navigating in the city, OTOH, involves a lot of last-minute conscious decisions concerning when it is or is not safe to make a turn or a lane change. I think a level 2 navigate-in-city feature would actually be more stressful than driving manually. I think that navigate-in-city needs to be at least level 3 before it will reduce the stress of driving below that of driving manually. And unless they've got something huge that they're about to drop on us, NoA/city will be a level 2 feature for several years at least. I think Tesla has said as much with comments that the new features will require driver attention. I think that level 3 will be a hundred times harder to achieve than autosteer and tacc were. Those were remarkable achievements. But I honestly think I'll be ready for a new car before NoA/city will be level 3.

But if they got basic AP to level 3 (without NoA) I would happily pay the two or three thousand dollars for it. Let me daydream while the car drives itself, and alert me when a turn is coming up. This, of course, would require it to recognize stop signs and lights as well as respond appropriately to non-functioning lights which must be treated as 4-way stop signs.

So I'm not buying "FSD" and would not recommend others to do so, until there are useful features in the cars and functioning.

View attachment 452460
Guys, my vacation has me drinking some strong IPAs...

about to pull the trigger after reading this thread and seeing some youtube videos...

will update....got some amex points I can use towards it, so I might end up getting it for about $5k

Done :)

Sorry for the big image

Image-1.jpg

I just coughed up the US$3K to upgrade from EAP to FSD, even though there is no immediate benefit.

I am hopeful we'll see HW3 upgrades in Q1, and maybe some usable FSD-specific features by then, such as red light and stop sign detection.

Enhanced Summon maybe viewed by Tesla as an important step towards FSD, but I find red light and stop sign detection to be a whole lot more important.

I just coughed up the US$3K to upgrade from EAP to FSD, even though there is no immediate benefit.

I am hopeful we'll see HW3 upgrades in Q1, and maybe some usable FSD-specific features by then, such as red light and stop sign detection.

Enhanced Summon maybe viewed by Tesla as an important step towards FSD, but I find red light and stop sign detection to be a whole lot more important.

I remember having hope when it comes to Tesla delivering on promises. That was an interesting time to be alive.

• Funny
Reactions: linux-works
When I bought my car, FSD (according to Elon Musk) meant that you could summon your car from across the city and it would come to you. Or you could send it to pick up your kids and bring them home. I didn't buy it because I didn't believe it. I bought EAP, which I love. The differences between EAP and AP are (IMO) minor.

Now, FSD means that AP is extended to several new driver-assist features, but there must be a driver in the car who must pay attention at all times and must be ready to take over at a moment's notice. You must be fully alert the whole time.

People who have paid for FSD still to this day have no features that my car with EAP does not have. All they've done is stop selling the EAP package, and offer exactly the same features, for more money, and call it FSD, with promises of some pretty nice-sounding features (but still Level 2: full driver attention required) which they seem unable to provide.

My vote: Don't buy FSD. Your next car after this one might have something along the lines of FSD that's worth paying for. I believe it's coming. But it's a few years away, not a few months.

Yup. FSD from "basic-ass autopilot" is worth it IMO. But from EAP? Nope. I'm full of regrets for falling for that bamboozle.

Yup. FSD from "basic-ass autopilot" is worth it IMO. But from EAP? Nope. I'm full of regrets for falling for that bamboozle.

IDK man what really convinced me was the autonomy day talk and how impressed they were with the version they were using on autonomy day.

From a technological standpoint, the NN makes a lot of sense and I believe Elon can do it without Lidar.

However, without Lidar, I can't see the car working during inclement weather.

I figure, the car is already a bargain, FSD was the only option I ordered, the rest of my car is 100% standard. IMO its a tough pill to swallow if you're already paying for the more expensive models.

IDK man what really convinced me was the autonomy day talk and how impressed they were with the version they were using on autonomy day.

From a technological standpoint, the NN makes a lot of sense and I believe Elon can do it without Lidar.

I figure, the car is already a bargain, FSD was the only option I ordered, the rest of my car is 100% standard. IMO its a tough pill to swallow if you're already paying for the more expensive models.

LR would have been worth it to me if I hadn't moved to an itty bitty island. The PUP was definitely worth it, even though I would not have gotten it if the first production run had been available without it. FSD is a pig in a poke. It's vaporware until it's actually in customers' cars. And even then, they've admitted they can't do real FSD, so they'll call stoplight recognition at Level 2 (i.e., you can't count on it to actually stop) "FSD."

LR would have been worth it to me if I hadn't moved to an itty bitty island. The PUP was definitely worth it, even though I would not have gotten it if the first production run had been available without it. FSD is a pig in a poke. It's vaporware until it's actually in customers' cars. And even then, they've admitted they can't do real FSD, so they'll call stoplight recognition at Level 2 (i.e., you can't count on it to actually stop) "FSD."
Sadly, it appears the trend of just more parlor tricks and gimmicks will continue, at least in the near term. For those who are on the fence about dropping $6000 for FSD, my recommendation would be to wait until there is real functionality that you can rely on and trust with your life.

Reactions: totteraptor

It’s vaporware. If they were actually shipping it, great. But they’ve been convincing people to pay for FSD with videos and no follow through for years.

Summon is terrible with curbs! So many times I've had to stop it, because it didn't sense a low curb, and was going to scratch my wheels, or the front bumper.

But, most already know this.....I'm going to wait for the next version before further testing.