Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me to decide: M3 LR or MY LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I come from a Prius and wanted a M3 but lower back problems prevent me from getting in and out of it. It is too close to the ground and the sill to top of door height is too short and I almost have to bend over double to get in and out.
This. My previous vehicle was a BMW 335i convertible. I'm 6'2", 68, have horrible back and neck problems, major back surgery last December. The Model 3 is very much like my 335i, miserable and painful for me to crawl down into, comfortable once I'm in. The Y, OTOH, is extremely comfortable for ingress and egress. Add the better visibility sitting higher, and the greater cargo area with much better access, and it was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: Gadget63
When I sat in the back seat of the 3 (and the S) I felt like my knees were up to my chest. In the front seat of the 3 your legs are more out in front of you than in the higher seating position of the Y and ingress/egress is also easier in the Y. The hatch allows more flexibility in cargo shape and loading/unloading is easier with a higher cargo floor. We wanted an EV for road trips and occasional backseat passengers so we went with the Y. Someday if I replace my commuter car it will be with a 3 though, I would put up with it being more difficult to get into and out of for the better handling, ride, and noise level.

Last edited:
When I sat in the back seat of the 3 (and the S) I felt like my knees were up to my chest. In the front seat of the 3 your legs are more out in front of you than in the higher seating position of the Y and ingress/egress is also easier. The hatch allows more flexibility in cargo shape and loading/unloading is easier with a higher cargo floor. We wanted an EV for road trips and occasional backseat passengers so we went with the Y. Someday if I replace my commuter car it will be with a 3 though, I would put up with it being more difficult to get into and out of for the better handling, ride, and noise level.
Yea, the rear of the Y is quite a comfy place to be, surprisingly so since the car isn't that big but it feels ample inside. I sat in the back of a BMW X4 m40i on the way to LA and holy effin hell that is a miserable place to be. The seats were thin, the headroom non-existent, the angle of the seatbacks have like 2 degrees of range. I couldn't not rest my head anywhere, I was annoyed as hell. It's a $62K for crying out loud. Thinking back I'm incredulous that one would buy that ice car over a Y, insano especially since it lists higher than a performance.

Someday if I replace my commuter car it will be with a 3 though, I would put up with it being more difficult to get into and out of for the better handling, ride, and noise level.
I'll think you'll find the MY is significantly less noisy than the M3, as was my experience and several others have mentioned. And by the time you may be ready to change out your commuter car you may find getting in and out of the M3 to be a bit harder :).

That’s interesting. I averaged 250 over 13000 miles in my M3 with 19’s vice 265 over 10000 miles in my MY with 20’s - negligible difference really, similar drives. Wonder why yours would be so different…
Model 3 has the 18" wheels and, I don't have the exact figures but average over 25,000 miles is about 225. Model Y with (only 3,000 miles) is 295. Could be the 19" tires are much wider than those on the 3 as well as the Model Y having Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 vs. the stock michelins on the Model 3. Not sure but it definitely uses less juice than the Y.

Model 3 has the 18" wheels and, I don't have the exact figures but average over 25,000 miles is about 225. Model Y with (only 3,000 miles) is 295. Could be the 19" tires are much wider than those on the 3 as well as the Model Y having Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 vs. the stock michelins on the Model 3. Not sure but it definitely uses less juice than the Y.
225 on a M3 dual motor? You must really baby it to get that I would think. And yes the AS4's are less efficient I believe. So not exactly comparing apples to apples...

225 on a M3 dual motor? You must really baby it to get that I would think. And yes the AS4's are less efficient I believe. So not exactly comparing apples to apples...
When I had my 2018 M3, my results were just about the same. But then again, I drive in chill mode and just do the posted speed limits. Living in Florida which is flat helps too......

I'll think you'll find the MY is significantly less noisy than the M3, as was my experience and several others have mentioned. And by the time you may be ready to change out your commuter car you may find getting in and out of the M3 to be a bit harder :).
When I test drove a MYLR (19") and M3LR (18") back to back last year the M3 was noticeable quieter. It could have been due to what tires they were wearing. When I'm ready to consider a M3 again I'll give it another test drive.

I don't drive in chill mode normally (sometimes in winter snow) and I have AB. I'd have to check my odo but I picked mine up 9/08/20 so it's close to a year. I have the inductions. My lifetime is 267. It's been going down over the last few months (from around 273) which I've attributed to the warmer weather. I figure the first six months were mild to pretty cold.

I was debating between the 3 (for the range) and the Y (for the space). I am single so the extra back seat space isn't much of an issue, but I am leaning towards the Y still because I play sports and the hatch back style is awesome for me. I also do a lot of projects for my backyard, so I'm thinking the Y will be better for getting the stuff I want from the store to the house.

I was debating between the 3 (for the range) and the Y (for the space). I am single so the extra back seat space isn't much of an issue, but I am leaning towards the Y still because I play sports and the hatch back style is awesome for me. I also do a lot of projects for my backyard, so I'm thinking the Y will be better for getting the stuff I want from the store to the house.
Go with the MY. You won't regret it. I went from a 2018 M3 LR to a 2021 MY LR and never looked back.

Go with the MY. You won't regret it. I went from a 2018 M3 LR to a 2021 MY LR and never looked back.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I was planning on getting it in December (waiting for my bonus so I can knock out most of the price of the car and early birthday present). Some people were saying wait until then or early 2022 for the cars to be built in Austin with the new battery.

Hi everyone,

Each day I'm more convinced to replace my ICE vehicle with a Tesla... the big question for me now is between the M3 or MY.

I just test drove the M3, I loved it...and will schedule to test drive the MY sometime next week.

Beside the price difference between the M3 LR vs. MY LR (around $4K).... what's are the reasons for you to decide the MY over the M3 ??? Pros, cons., life experience... I really appreciate your comments...thx

For me, the Tesla is my only car, so remember that when I list my reasons...

Reasons I traded in and got a Model Y...
-Rear seat leg room
The rear leg room is ok in Model 3, but if you place adults back there and go on a couple hour long road trip, I could see them feeling a little cramped back there. For kids it's fine, for adults around town it's fine, but road trips, maybe not. This should be very easy for you to judge; sit in the rear seat and see if you feel like it's ok for adults on the types of trips you plan, or if you have a secondary car then this might be a non-issue.

-Trunk space
The Model 3 has great trunk space for the type and shape of car it is. You can toss suitcases back there and anything like that. BUT, larger items you might have some issues with. If you had an SUV or truck for the occasional times you need to shuffle large items around (say four wheels and tires, it's possible in the 3 but very tight) than it might be a non-issue. For me as the only car I have, the hatch back and much larger (vertical) useable space was worth it.

Obsolete reasons or unrelated
-HVAC
While I didn't expect the heat pump to be *magic* in reducing heating energy loads, I did expect a benefit from it and it delivers. In deep winter you'll still really suck down the energy, but if you can heat soak the battery and car via preconditioning at home and it isn't crazy cold, the heat pump is a pretty good improvement. You get this in new Model 3s now too though...

-Larger battery
I had the Model 3 SR+ and while I could have handled that car, even as a single car owner, the larger battery makes life more enjoyable. I also wanted AWD, even though the RWD never left me stuck in the snow, I feel better in the winter knowing I have AWD if I need to make a winter road trip or my road goes days without being hit by city services after a big snow. Model 3 has both of those options as well, ground clearance isn't even worth talking about since the Y only gets you like 0.8 inches more...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reasons I kinda wish I had stuck with the Model 3 (or traded in and got a higher spec Model 3)
-Efficiency
There is no doubt the Model Y gets worse efficiency than the 3, and I suspect it's actually far more sensitive to aero than the 3. In the same amount of wind, I think the Y will take a larger range penalty compared to the 3. I see about 300 wh/mi at 70mph without any wind. In the Model 3 I think that could be more like 260 to 270 wh/mi. Doesn't sound like much, but on a 75kWh battery that's 250 miles in the Model Y but just over 280 miles in the Model 3. Doesn't seem huge at first glance, but it feels significant. You can travel 250 miles in the Model 3 (3.5 hr at 70 mph) and still have 30 miles (10% battery) left when in the Y you would be at 0%. It's when you start playing the game that it can make a difference (in my mind). Only want to charge to 90% and pull in at 10%, well in the 3 that's still ~225 miles, but in the Y that might only be 200 miles. Again, doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm about 205 miles away from two difference large cities. I would love to drive there without charging and be able to hit a show or dinner BEFORE getting to my hotel to charge overnight. If I had ~20 miles left (PLUS 10% battery buffer!) I would feel safe doing 5 or 10 miles downtown before hitting the hotel. In the Y, I would be hitting my hotel at like 3% battery and likely would charge first thing getting into town instead. Little things like that...

-Performance/cost
There is a $4,000 difference between a Performance Model 3 and a Long Range Model Y. Already $4k for the Performance version is probably worth splurging, especially if you're going to keep the car 5+ years. However, if there is even a SECOND that you think about buying the acceleration boost for the Model Y ($2,000), then there is NO REASON not to get the Performance 3, unless you HAVE to have the size or cargo room of the Y. The Model Y isn't slow, it's sport and fun... but it feels like there could be more there, and of course there is. Click a button and pay $2,000 and you go from the standard 4.8 second down to 4.2 second. This is noticeable. You feel it. It's faster. But wait... the Performance 3 is over a SECOND faster than the boosted Y! Performance 3 is 3.1 second! I can't even imagine that after feeling the difference from 4.8 down to 4.2. The Performance 3 must be a damn rocket and for $4,000 more total, or $2,000 more if you're even considering buying the boost for the Y down the road... that's a freaking STEAL for that kind of speed... (In addition you get some slightly better rear brakes, some performance touches in style, and the larger wheels. The larger wheels are likely the difference in range, so if you sold those or bought a second set for cold weather time that were aftermarket 18" wheels you will probably get back almost all the range difference between the LR 3 and Performance 3.)

That’s interesting. I averaged 250 over 13000 miles in my M3 with 19’s vice 265 over 10000 miles in my MY with 20’s - negligible difference really, similar drives. Wonder why yours would be so different…
I suspect it's down to aero performance.... or rather the effect of drag on the Y. I think the Y is much more susceptible to increased drag compared to the 3. Around town my Y gets pretty close to what my 2019 Model 3 got... but these are speeds of 30 to 45 mph. On the highway at 70 mph though, the Y is much worse. I'm seeing about 300 wh/mi without wind or winter weather and I think the 3 would have been more like 265 wh/mi. One of these days I'll get around to trying to actually collect some data on this, but I think for every extra mph of wind (either head/cross winds or going faster in the car) the Y requires a bit more energy than the 3 would. That adds up when you're going 75 AND you have a 15 mph headwind, etc.

Reactions: Dennisis