Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Needed, How to file a complaint to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service will most likely take care of you, but it may take quite awhile. I am still dealing with fallout of accepting a car in August with minor issues that then turned into them causing more major damage fixing the minor issues and then again more damage fixing the issues caused by the delivery issues... In a rabbit hole where I will just have to settle because the staff said they would take care of me if I accepted the car... The tech and potential is pretty dang strong in these cars but the build quality and attention to detail with at least my local service group... not so much.

I think writing Tesla a letter is a great way to approach the issue. I do not know exactly what the photos are however I presume OP thinks that it should have been caught in QC. Letting Tesla know about the issues it’s the best way to help the company grow.
I wrote numerous emails back and forth with an “executive” customer experience representative liaison who basically patronized me with lip service for three weeks making sure I was past the 7 day return window and then she *sugar* down communications!!

It's pretty obvious what his complaint is, you seem to just be very set on not accepting that sometimes these cars are delivered in non-ideal shape and often people either don't notice when taking a rushed delivery (emotions do run high) or are told to get them fixed later.

If OP feels that it isn't right for this car to be delivered in this condition than it is totally his right to send them a note, don't give him a hard time for that.
I agree to your comment! This community should be helping new tesla owners. Not just because you had your tesla in great condition when you first got it. Tesla is trying to reach their quantity goals. And they must be not focusing well on the quality control. This is not different on SOME “made in China”.

Why do people on this forum like to blame the buyer when Tesla hands them a flaming turd at delivery?

I have never had to run through any other vehicle I’ve purchased with a fine toothed comb to ensure it was acceptable. The dealership does that for you. Tesla should be embarrassed with their QC.

Very well said glide! I found some of active members here @TMC are biased. You of all people should be helping new tesla owners and should be guiding everyone. First time Tesla buyers have a high respect with the brand name and trust. And people sometimes think if it’s expensive car, it is flawless. But not the case. Tesla said it is “custom built” for you. Based on your configuration when you placed your downpayment. Since it sound very “custom” and made the perfect and personalized car. It should have been well tested and quality controlled at the factory with a HUMAN, not a robot. All I’m saying is Tesla is not perfect and so does any other car brands. But it is their full responsibility to help their customers and sell the best quality controlled car and give their great customer satisfaction experience of the car to their customer no matter what trim/package you purchased!

As I understand it you had around 3 days to return the vehicle (assuming you didn't test drive one which is a really weird policy).

I was in the same boat as you during pickup.I debated about whether to refuse delivery and get another VIN, or to accept it and have them repair it later. I wish I would have considered temporarily refusing delivery until they fixed it, but I didn't think of that.

I went with accepting the vehicle, and having them repair it later.

I was going to write them an email summarizing my list of suggestions to prevent the issue. In my case it was a bumper misalignment that was clearly a few mm off.

I was mostly mad that I was brought down to look at that. It's one of those vehicle horror shows that you never want to witness. It was like watching a football player break an ankle. I'll never be able to unsee it.

I almost had to go to an Italian car dealer to try to see something pretty enough to recover from the sheer pain of what I witnessed from Tesla. It was like Tesla threw right up on me.

The really bad part I was a really happy Model S owner, and they pulled that stunt.

Luckily it's been fixed (at least okayishly), but now how bad NoA is has all but replaced the pain that was the eyesore of that alignment issue.

That's really frustrating as one of my primary reasons for going from the Model S to the 3 was to go from AP1 to EAP/FSD.

Moral of the story? Don't worry. You'll either completely forget about It while enjoying the car or some other issue will crop up that will get your attention.

If you wrote emails to Tesla about everything you wouldn't have time to vent on TMC. Plus there isn't anyone to really write an email to.

It's like emailing into thin air.
Don’t they have contact support?

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new Model 3, and during the new car delivery inspection, I found a few issues, some are serious issues and some are less. I can now understand why there are alot of complaints about the cheap quality against Model 3 online. I have already scheduled an service appointment. However, send in a brand new vehicle with ~50 miles for a service? This never happended to me before and its hard to accept this.
So, I need your help and let know how to file a complaint regarding my issues. Preferrably a email or online. I have already drafted a complaint and would like to send it to someone that can help me out with my issues. Thank you all for the time.

I pick up my Tesla 3 next month (hopefully), and Ive been told if I’m not happy within a week or 1000 miles, then I can return it.

I’m not sure what I’ll do if that’s the case. I’d like to simply put it down to a Friday / Monday car and re-order (although I’m retired, so I have time to faff about re-ordering, etc.,).

Hope you get the issues resolved.

Incidentally, my Leaf just turned 1 year old and several fault lights appeared. Serviced it and was told they couldn’t find the reason - they've reset them and I should contact them if they come in again.

And my Porsche 911 Carrera 4 S is (I’ve been told) prone to bore scoring.

Cars, eh? Who’s have ‘em? ‍♂️

So, I can’t open my drivers door on my Model X. They won’t come fix it for three weeks. When i bought it they said Rangers would come provide service when needed. They did for the first year, after that it sucks. I live 2.5 hours away from a service center, so before i bought it they promised Ranger (mobile) service, now it difficult to schedule ranger service and they only come to my area once a month!

Hello All,

I recently purchased a new Model 3, and during the new car delivery inspection, I found a few issues, some are serious issues and some are less. I can now understand why there are alot of complaints about the cheap quality against Model 3 online. I have already scheduled an service appointment. However, send in a brand new vehicle with ~50 miles for a service? This never happended to me before and its hard to accept this.
So, I need your help and let know how to file a complaint regarding my issues. Preferrably a email or online. I have already drafted a complaint and would like to send it to someone that can help me out with my issues. Thank you all for the time.
good luck to u

Why do people on this forum like to blame the buyer when Tesla hands them a flaming turd at delivery?

I have never had to run through any other vehicle I’ve purchased with a fine toothed comb to ensure it was acceptable. The dealership does that for you. Tesla should be embarrassed with their QC.

It is so sickening to see the rabid fanboyism on TMC. The moment you post a critique about the company the rabid fans truly come out of the woodworks telling you how YOU are wrong and that Tesla can never do any wrong. Disgusting!

What QC?
If there’s indeed a QC Dept. at Tesla then those things wouldn’t have happened.

• Informative
Reactions: super20g
On friday my car was parked on the street. The next day I went to do laundry. Coming out from the laundromat I notice my car scratched on the bumper. So right away I went in my car and and tried looking through the videos. But there was one file I couldn't open I dont know why. So I waited until I got home so I can remove my SSD drive and watch it on my laptop. When I got home I removed the SSD and put it on my laptop and found out there was nothing. Pissed off as I was I didn't bother to make a police report but I was rather too focused on how to get that video from tesla cause I know that they get videos. I was able to get an email but no one replied. What I'm worried about now is why my car alarm didn't go off? Why didn't anything record on my SSD drive? Only TESLA can help to get the person who did this get caught but can't, won't or don't want to help. It really sucks because they could of broken I the car and maybe find a way to take off with it. And only then that MAYBE tesla will give up that video. I've read on a blog that 2020 model 3 performance models have issues with sentry mode maybe because of the software updates. I dont know. That's what a few people said. I just want Tesla to hand over the video so I can get the license plate number and report it to the police for hit and run.

I just want to know how can I get a video from tesla? I know that tesla gets videos when there's something turns those sensors on. My car was hit while it was parked on the street. My car alarm didn't go off no videos were saved. Why the hell wouldn't my model 3 car alarm go Off? Tesla is responsible for me not getting the license plate number of the car that hit me. I was given an email to the people directly holding those videos but they don't want to reply. So telsa should be held accountable for sentry mode not working and alarm not working. And I just found out that through teslas insurance the deductible is at $1000. Now I leave the car looking like it is. Wanting me to sell the car to Car max. Just because of that ugly scratch in the front.

I just want to know how can I get a video from tesla? I know that tesla gets videos when there's something turns those sensors on. My car was hit while it was parked on the street. My car alarm didn't go off no videos were saved. Why the hell wouldn't my model 3 car alarm go Off? Tesla is responsible for me not getting the license plate number of the car that hit me. I was given an email to the people directly holding those videos but they don't want to reply. So telsa should be held accountable for sentry mode not working and alarm not working. And I just found out that through teslas insurance the deductible is at $1000. Now I leave the car looking like it is. Wanting me to sell the car to Car max. Just because of that ugly scratch in the front.
Tesla is not going to pull any video for you.

Accidents happen. That is what insurance is for. And your $1000 deductible is something you chose. Insurance policies and carriers offer many different levels of coverage. This should not come as a surprise.