Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help pick battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of ordering Model S, need to decide on battery size. I live in NJ and commute up to NY and CT regularly, with about 65 miles each way, so figure need range to last me 130-140 miles on average. The car is parked at my house in a heated garage overnight, but sometimes it stays parked at work overnight, so battery might be cold during some drives back home.

The drive involves a fair bit of traffic over the GW bridge, but mostly highway otherwise. On the highway I tend to be doing closer to 80. Sometimes there is a fair bit of stop and go.

I want to be cost effective, and buying mostly for ability to use auto-pilot, but I do tend to have a heavy foot.

I don't want range anxiety. Would 90KW be sufficient, or am I better off getting the 100 because 90 is cutting it too close? I'd prefer to save money, though getting a 100D this week seems like a relatively good time before price goes up.

Would appreciate the advice

I don't want range anxiety. Would 90KW be sufficient, or am I better off getting the 100 because 90 is cutting it too close? I'd prefer to save money, though getting a 100D this week seems like a relatively good time before price goes up.
I have an S75 and I could easily do 140 miles a day with traffic and 80mph speeds. However, I'm in the south. It gets much colder where you are. So if I were in your shoes, I'd get the 100 if you're already looking at an 90. You can always skip AP and add it later when your cash reserve has built back up a bit.

Reactions: Akikiki
If your considering the 90, I'd jump to the 100 for the small incremental cost. Unless your looking at an inventory car because unlimited supercharging is important to you (it isn't for me).

I'm super glad I have the 100. Charged to 345 mikes rated at 100%. One less worry on trips.

Reactions: Fiddler
I don't really do long road trips aside from the daily commute (may be because my commute is so long :)). Based on the feedback, I was thinking 100D and sticking with multi-patterned seats and skipping the premium upgrades package to keep price about same as 90D with those. AP is a must have. Anyone thinking that's a bad trade given the constraints, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I don't really do long road trips aside from the daily commute (may be because my commute is so long :)). Based on the feedback, I was thinking 100D and sticking with multi-patterned seats and skipping the premium upgrades package to keep price about same as 90D with those. AP is a must have. Anyone thinking that's a bad trade given the constraints, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Based on what you've posted, I think the 90kW battery would be more than sufficient for you. Assume that you set your daily charge limit to 80% and that gets you ~230 miles of range every day. Even in bitter cold NY winters that would cover the distances you mentioned. Tesla recommends daily charging up to 90%, though many people don't do that. This would supply you with 260 miles every morning. Do you really think you'll need more than that?

If you've got an extra $10K burning a hole in your pocket, then go for it but it doesn't seem necessary to me.

By the way, with the change to put the power liftgate as standard equipment, do you really value what's left in the PUP at $3500? I swallowed hard and bought the PUP just for the liftgate. Are you getting the Subzero Weather Package?

@AndrewTX -- skipping the PUP. I couldn't tell the difference in feel of leather door and dash panels in PUP vs non-PUP cars, and don't drive on dark winding roads much, so turning headlights didn't seem important (drove a friend's Tesla on my usual route and wasn't needed). I was thinking of skipping leather, but just couldn't quite do it -- like the look of leather interior (and nicer headliner) better than multi-textured, even though dislike the brown wood.

I suspect 90D is enough, but I'm thinking with having locked in a price last week on 100D and price being $5K higher now, I would recoup most of the extra price difference when I sell, but have the use of longer range just in case, so if my total cost over 3 years is $1500 or so, seems like a relatively cheap hedge.

Need more range than 60 will offer. AP2 is a must for me too.

For what it's worth, I just got a 2015 S60 and I do a 120-130 mile round trip 2-3 times a week. I start with a 87-90% charge and typically end with about 24-27% remaining.

Most of the trip is spent at about 75mph on the highway, but I am in the south, so I don't have to worry much about cold weather. You may very well be able to get away with a 60, but I would certainly think an 85 or 90 would be plenty for you if you want a little more cushion.

Reactions: Fiver
...cold...

You have several factors that can drain your battery very quickly:

1) Sub-freezing East coast winter
2) As fast as up to 80 mph.

For 150 miles, you should do fine with any size of battery from 60 to 100 kWh as long as you learn how to manage the battery drain for winter and speed.

With smaller capacity battery, you might have to give up the speed and comfortable cabin heat to make it home in winter.

I live in place that doesn't snow but I still bought a largest battery size I could because it gives options and more freedom so I don't have to think about should I give up on speed or cabin heat.

@AndrewTX -- skipping the PUP. I couldn't tell the difference in feel of leather door and dash panels in PUP vs non-PUP cars, and don't drive on dark winding roads much, so turning headlights didn't seem important (drove a friend's Tesla on my usual route and wasn't needed). I was thinking of skipping leather, but just couldn't quite do it -- like the look of leather interior (and nicer headliner) better than multi-textured, even though dislike the brown wood.

I suspect 90D is enough, but I'm thinking with having locked in a price last week on 100D and price being $5K higher now, I would recoup most of the extra price difference when I sell, but have the use of longer range just in case, so if my total cost over 3 years is $1500 or so, seems like a relatively cheap hedge.

Good luck and enjoy it!

I just got my 85 Friday, sitting still in atlanta traffic for hours made wish I had a 100. I put 2k miles on it in week. Its not the driving, it's the sitting in traffic that scares me. Think wreak, or just 5pm traffic jam. And turn off everything possible. I was flying down 95 southbound, car said , slow down below 75 or you will not make next charger. WT? It said I was good to go at last charger, NOT, next one I stayed an extra 50 miles. Morale of the day, if you can afford it, buy 100.

130 miles in snowy winter, I would say get the 100D because it's the best value unless you missed out and order this week with the higher price.

The 100D actually has a 100KWh.
The 90D only has about 86KWh.

So for the price difference $3K before the price hike, it was really worth it to get ~14KWh for just $3K price difference.

Here is my estimate for each of the car in dead of winter.
100D - rated at 335 miles @ 100%
in winter, you get 70% at best if you factor in cabin heating, snow, road conditions, winter tires, cold batteries, etc. That puts you at around 235 miles assuming you fully charge which you would probably rarely do to reduce battery degradation. You would probably charge to 90%. 90% of 335 is 300. Now you are looking at 211 miles daily in winter. But you will never run it all the way down. Most people will leave around 10-15% before they get scared and charge. Let's say you are good and will let it run all the way down to 10%. Meaning you will only use 90% of 211 miles. So in the end a 100D in a snowy winter might typically get 190 miles.

If you run the same argument on a 90D with 86KWh, you will be around 167 miles on a typical day.

Keep in mind the initial 70% is probably a good number to use, but it can be worse if you are in a blizzard and or high head wind with all those conditions.

Also you mentioned that you might leave it overnight at work without charging in the cold. That might even sap more energy out of your battery when the tesla tries to keep the battery warm overnight.

Like others have said, get the biggest battery you can afford.