Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today I just got the update and it is nice, but isn't the misalignment a little silly.

yeah, they need to work on the cursor and the orientation of the cursor (to keep it tangential to your path). Small issue.

I actually think this is intentional, but they aren't displaying it correctly yet. They seem to be trying to show what lane you are in (in mine, if I move to the right side of the road, I appear on the right edge of the street.) I suppose this will be important eventually when they are trying to link Nav directions to actual autopilot stuff for switching highways and whatnot based on your intended destination. I agree that it looks a bit weird at the moment though!

The biggest change in the new navigation software --- online routing.

This was almost inevitable, because EAP/FSD need routing based on up-to-date map and traffic data, which is impractical to frequently send to the cars.

Instead, Tesla can focus on a routing server - get it the most up-to-date map and traffic data - and use that for calculating routes as good as, and likely much better, than human routing. And be able to rapidly adjust to changing road conditions.

The biggest change in the new navigation software --- online routing.

This was almost inevitable, because EAP/FSD need routing based on up-to-date map and traffic data, which is impractical to frequently send to the cars.

Instead, Tesla can focus on a routing server - get it the most up-to-date map and traffic data - and use that for calculating routes as good as, and likely much better, than human routing. And be able to rapidly adjust to changing road conditions.

Is this confirmed by anyone capturing the data traffic ?
It still needs an offline routing engine for situations where there is no 4G connection.

Reactions: brkaus
It still needs an offline routing engine for situations where there is no 4G connection.

There is probably an offline base capability that is then augmented by online processing when available.

Anyone got this in Canada yet?
In the 3 with the new nav, it'll specifically say something like "offline routing" above your route when you hit Navigate. It does this when my garage is closed and I don't have good LTE service yet. Once it has LTE, it updates itself (presumably using traffic data?) I assume the S/X's do something similar now too.

In the 3 with the new nav, it'll specifically say something like "offline routing" above your route when you hit Navigate. It does this when my garage is closed and I don't have good LTE service yet. Once it has LTE, it updates itself (presumably using traffic data?) I assume the S/X's do something similar now too.

Got a screenshot of that message? (Not that I don’t believe you, I’m just curious to see what it looks like.)

Thanks,

Bruce.

Reactions: robertvg
The problem is that unless you're rooted, you might be waiting a long time because you don't know if your car is selected for the update. I wish they had a "your car has been selected for an update! Please connect to WIFI for a faster download" or something to let you know..

I got 2018.12 a few days ago, but no new maps yet. And it has a strong WIFI signal (with an AP just for it).

Same here .... WiFi is on with strong signal, I am on 2018.12.... but no map updates....

Add one more to the chorus. It seems the map update was like AEB -- just a trickle to make it seem like it was starting. I'm foolishly hoping for a major feature update due to the pause and machinations about what's going on with beta builds but its a fool's wish because I've been fooled so often before.

Without the unicorn, we're all in the dark until something is released...

IF they actually come up with the MCU replacement, it will likely be flat rate and no discount if replacing.

If I was the service person and someone kept calling me with the same question, I’d specifically hold an old part for them. Probably why I’m not a service guy :)
Who you going to give it to, the constant complainer or the one who brings donuts to the service guys.. ;)

No maps for me yet to keep it on topic..

I don't usually participate in the "Me too" ;) discussion, but mine was updated to 18.12 at the SC and was there for two days later while it had already been updated, plus 3 more days at home in the garage on strong WiFi.

I keep going out to the car looking like a damn kid waiting for Santa Claus "Is he here yet??"

Reactions: d21mike
I got 2018.12 on 3/28. Its been 9 days. So clearly we can get 2018.12 and just keep waiting. Tesla will send it when they feel like we are worthy :D
Well, I am still on 2018.6.1, got that update a month or so back but haven't received any more s/w updates after that. My car gets on to my home wi-fi as soon as I enter my garage. Plus the last update I got was when I was at the parking garage at work and was on 3G. So I don't think the connectivity is the issue. Hopefully soon ...

Systems like Gmaps have offline navigation (routing based on maps that it has downloaded previously) enhanced with online information like traffic, more up to date construction, etc. On Gmaps you have to download certain areas of the terrain beforehand, on your Tesla AFAIK it has them already. I assume that Tesla has done a combination of offline + online to cover when the car doesn't have signal but still get the extra bits of information - like traffic and such -when possible.

• Informative
Reactions: robertvg