Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will watch the traffic for few more days and then will reach out to SC if the trend continues.

Btw - I don't think that the car is downloading anything significant either. As you suggested, I too believe that it is either stuck downloading something over and over again or my Google Wifi is lying - although it is accurately reporting other devices on the network as far as I can tell.

I had been trying to find info on file sizes. My wife's X is on the new maps now and Google WiFi shows her car took down 21GB this week, but the new maps showed up a few days ago after about 5-10GB. Mine has used up 5.2GB just in the last day. I wonder at what point the car finally welcomes you to the new maps experience...?

I had been trying to find info on file sizes. My wife's X is on the new maps now and Google WiFi shows her car took down 21GB this week, but the new maps showed up a few days ago after about 5-10GB. Mine has used up 5.2GB just in the last day. I wonder at what point the car finally welcomes you to the new maps experience...?

The new maps are 5GB.

IMG_3648.jpg
A complete power cycle on the car seems to have fixed this nonsense for me. I downloaded 36GB in 5 days.

And just like that...

I have a loaner with new maps. The car is on firmware 2018.6.50 and has the new MCU.
IMG_20180412_083931.jpg

A few points:

1. Looks like the routing logic is still a tad flawed, though it seems like the underlying map data is finally updated. Road 2 has been closed for a few years now, but the previous system always told me to turn on it (impossible, it was blocked). The updated system recognizes this, but directs me to road three, up and over, as opposed to the more direct route via road 1.
    MVIMG_20180411_162512.jpg
  2. Overview on the center console is much more polished. As is the voice, though I usually have that turned off. Routing was snappy. Really fast. I entered my destination, and the route was chosen and displayed in the time it took me to look away and look back. This is far faster than ever before. One Caveat, the trips I have taken so far are short trips requiring no routing for charging.
    IMG_20180412_083159.jpg
  3. The turn by turn in the binacle is very nice, very clear. However, when changing from a birdseye view (angled) to a direct overhead view, the map disappears and I see only grid lines. Also, it seems like at certain points even the birds eye view stops downloading/displaying map data, replacing it with gridlines. This, despite a solid 4G connection. Not sure what the deal is, but likely the growing pains of a beta, despite it's "maturity."
    IMG_20180412_083148.jpg MVIMG_20180412_083321.jpg

So, just did my first commute with the new maps. To add to my recent data point, after getting 2018.12, it took another 24 hours before I was "selected" to get the new maps. And it took 3 hours to download 5GB, and then took another 18 hours after that before the new maps loaded.

At any rate, after getting the new maps, I navigated to work this morning in my garage with no traffic. It told me to take 2 freeways, which is absolutely the correct "ideal" route when there's no traffic. Then, as soon as it got LTE, within 1-2 seconds the route instantly changed to a local route, which I think was a good choice. It was very similar to the routes that Waze and Google offered me this morning, with almost the same ETA too.

At arrival, the ETA was off by about 3 minutes on a 28 minute route, which is within the standard deviation of traffic light timing.

Overall, with my experience I would've chosen a slightly different variation of the route it offered me, but so far it is on par with how Google/Waze on this one route. That is WAAAAAY better than before, where the routing algorithm felt like a TomTom from when I was in high school.

My S100D on 18.12 will be parked at the airport until Saturday. If new nav features aren’t there when I get home I’m declaring a conspiracy.

Good news for you traveler. I got 18.12 on Monday. Parked the car at the airport yesterday am, picked up today. (MCU crashed about 30 min into drive). Parked - went back to the car 30 min later and *new nav* notice.