Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's why the 3 isn't a mainstream "affordable" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the quotes I've gotten from Seattle electricians make this a $1k-$2k inconvenience (to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet 2 feet away from my garage fuse panel).

Planning to try out plugging into a standard wall outlet and see how well that does at replenishing our daily 10-mile roundtrip commute.

That's crazy. Unless you need a new panel I don't understand how it could be that much. I would keep looking for a different electrician. Did you get a referral from Tesla? They usually have a list.

Good job Mod - can you move the country into quarantine too?:)

Back on topic - if the Camry is the benchmark - then the Toyota has a lot of catching up to do. The new Avalon my mother in law bought is a dog of a car - floaty, old school Cadillac like, knobs everywhere, rough shifting, noisy and frankly a car with reused Toyota parts from 1990 with very little change - kinda like a lawn tractor - with very reliable parts and a dealership network with their hand out for oil changes and anything they can squeeze out of you.

She's 80 and did an impulse buy and they screwed her bad - sold her last years model at full price with tons of mark up... same thing the Cadillac dealer did to her for over 40 years... (she would get a new one every two years) and they were constantly pulling cash out of her and her husband for stupid stuff -- "we changed the air in the tires" and aligned the FM antenna.. etc. etc... I finally got her to look at other stuff and she picked Toyota - which is good for ICE, but not so good compared to Electric... (if she drives 4000 miles a year, I would be stunned) and with Auto pilot it might be more useful than the Avalon in a couple of years.

The net profit anyway.

Actually only a small fraction goes back to Japan. With the investment for the plant and costs for direct and indirect labor, variable cost of parts for the vehicle from local US suppliers, plant support materials, etc., only about 10-15% of the revenue winds up retained in Japan....a very positive deal overall for the U.S. economy, not to mention the ripple effect of all the U.S. jobs generated.

Reactions: gambit48
Actually only a small fraction goes back to Japan. With the investment for the plant and costs for direct and indirect labor, variable cost of parts for the vehicle from local US suppliers, plant support materials, etc., only about 10-15% of the revenue winds up retained in Japan....a very positive deal overall for the U.S. economy, not to mention the ripple effect of all the U.S. jobs generated.
Yeah ... net profit