Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz buying 100,000 Tesla cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Oct 25 (Reuters) - Elon Musk's Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) on Monday received its biggest-ever order, as Hertz announced it would buy 100,000 electric rental cars to go more eco-friendly just months after emerging from bankruptcy.

After my experience with my test drive, I am not confident that the average driver could just walk into Hertz pick up the key (oops no key) and drive off in a Tesla, there's just too many things that are different.
Hertz may purchase key fobs. It will give them somewhere to attached the instructions on how to operate the door handles.

After my experience with my test drive, I am not confident that the average driver could just walk into Hertz pick up the key (oops no key) and drive off in a Tesla, there's just too many things that are different.
True, but it is suppose to take @ 2 years to get all the cars - would not be surprised for it to take double that. By then there should be a decent number of Tesla or EV owners who can easily rent one.

Would be nice to know how they are going to be implemented in their fleet. They may come in play as a requested vehicle first. I think someone that is a diehard non tesla fan won't be renting. Another aspect is Hertz can always come up with a 2 to 5 min video available when someone confirms their rental agreement. I do this when we rent our MY on Turo. I can also envision a future where Tesla service offers Hertz vouchers for loaners when one is not available.

Good for Hertz.

I wonder if Tesla are providing some kind of fleet management console, would make a lot of sense to drive down the cost of ownership to get detailed level data on vehicles. Combine that with software keys in a Hertz app lots of their operational costs can be far optimized. I bet software could also remove the need for a vehicle inspection. I wonder where FSD fits with their strategy?

I wonder how long they will keep them, and how this will effect the used car markets.

I can't even do that now after a month of ownership of my M3. I just turn the audio to mute with the left scroll wheel.
How do you turn it off?

You can't, what does 'turning off' mean anyway when the radio is an integrated part of the car.

I had loosely considered putty my Model Y up for sale since people are paying dumb amounts of money for them used right now. But with this Hertz announcement I can't imagine I'd get a replacement within a year and I can't be carless for that long.

Sucks for everyone who's having their delivery dates pushed back.

Neat!

FFCCEC77-0E78-4ED2-AECB-2961E5C86777.jpeg

I found a company called Virtuo that let you rent a M3 LR from London and gave them a whirl when I had a need to drive out of the capital for a bit.

Pricing was surprisingly reasonable, although the mileage they let you have isn't the largest (although they'll let you pay for the pleasure of bumping it up)

Free supercharging, and you lock/unlock the car through a bespoke app which I guess uses Tesla APIs to control.

Overall, pretty decent! It could be someone that Hertz could learn from (or acquire 😅)