Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, where's my $1000 worth of white paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every car I have ever owned was painted everywhere there is metal with the exterior color. Under carpet, under door panels, underneath the car, under the hood and under trunk liners. This includes Honda/Mercedes/Jeep/Ford/Dodge/Toyota. And I would know because I modified a lot of my cars and it required disassembly to run new wires and make modifications.

Every car I have ever owned was painted everywhere there is metal with the exterior color. Under carpet, under door panels, underneath the car, under the hood and under trunk liners.

Even if so, that just seems needlessly wasteful. Why would you want pearl white multi-coat paint under the carpet and underneath the frunk? You realize that you as the customer pay for that extra paint right?

Stop feeding the FUDs. Someone that doesn't own the car is going to see your pics and think that's what it looks like when you open the hood. This area is only ever typically seen by service people after disassembly of the frunk area.

Truth must be told. I'm not a service person, and I saw it, so it is unacceptable! You're saying it is ok to cheap out on my paint job because "I won't see it"? And this is what it looks like under the hood, without a big piece of plastic to hide it.

Tesla shouldn't be ripping me off on the paint job. I paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for pearl white paint, and I expect ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS of paint on the car! Everyone who paid $1500, $2000, or $2500 for their paint should be even more upset than me about it.

I once had the complete interior out of my 1971 Plymouth Valiant, and guess what? It was all painted inside the car. And all up in the trunk. And all under the hood. And behind the door panels. And even most of the underside of the car. Is Tesla saying they can't paint a new car better than a 48 year old Plymouth? They are that greedy? I wonder what I will see if I take the door panels off, or pull up the carpet?

Truth must be told. I'm not a service person, and I saw it, so it is unacceptable! You're saying it is ok to cheap out on my paint job because "I won't see it"? And this is what it looks like under the hood, without a big piece of plastic to hide it.

Tesla shouldn't be ripping me off on the paint job. I paid ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS for pearl white paint, and I expect ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS of paint on the car! Everyone who paid $1500, $2000, or $2500 for their paint should be even more upset than me about it.

I once had the complete interior out of my 1971 Plymouth Valiant, and guess what? It was all painted inside the car. And all up in the trunk. And all under the hood. And behind the door panels. And even most of the underside of the car. Is Tesla saying they can't paint a new car better than a 48 year old Plymouth? They are that greedy? I wonder what I will see if I take the door panels off, or pull up the carpet?

Hmm, didn't know the Valiant had a frunk ;-). Take a look under a Porsche frunk and tell me what you see :)

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I have contact your local Service Center on your behalf and they told me to give you this:

whiteout1.jpg

Truth must be told. I'm not a service person, and I saw it, so it is unacceptable! You're saying it is ok to cheap out on my paint job because "I won't see it"?

You have a point there man. That's why when I used to make bike frames I painted the insides of the frame tubes before I brazed them together. I'm just a quality guy.

Oh, yeah, I used to paint house interiors also. I made it a special point to get in there for a day or two before the sheetrockers arrived so I could paint the studs and the backsides of the sheetrock. You never know when someone might do a remodel.

When I built cabinets and furniture, I always shellacked the backside because I knew someday someone would slide it away from the wall to clean back there. I learned this tip from a piano builder who always painted the insides of his pianos black so the piano tuner wouldn't see bare wood when he was tuning it up.

I ran into some stupid tree-hugger environmentalists who suggested I could reduce toxic waste and improve air quality by not painting the insides of everything where it didn't need to be painted but I don't care about those things, I'm all about the highest possible quality. Cause I don't want to be lying on my deathbed lamenting the fact that I never shellacked the backsides of those cabinets. That would keep me up at night worrying so I just put paint everywhere now. I even paint the handles of my paint brushes before I use them - it's a real scam that they call it a "paint" brush but the handle comes without any paint, just bare wood! I've found it cleans up a lot better if I paint it first.

Now where was I going with this, I don't know, my memory is not so good no more. I think I'll have a beer. I'm done painting for the day.

I once had the complete interior out of my 1971 Plymouth Valiant, and guess what? It was all painted inside the car. And all up in the trunk. And all under the hood. And behind the door panels. And even most of the underside of the car. Is Tesla saying they can't paint a new car better than a 48 year old Plymouth?

You know what else Tesla cheaped out on? The transmission. That '71 Valiant had a real three speed transmission with a reverse gear. Tesla only gives you one speed and the reverse is fake, not a real gear, they do it with electrical trickery.

They are that greedy? I wonder what I will see if I take the door panels off, or pull up the carpet?

Ummm. the inside of the door or the floorpan? That would be my guess.:rolleyes:

You have a point there man. That's why when I used to make bike frames I painted the insides of the frame tubes before I brazed them together. I'm just a quality guy.

Oh, yeah, I used to paint house interiors also. I made it a special point to get in there for a day or two before the sheetrockers arrived so I could paint the studs and the backsides of the sheetrock. You never know when someone might do a remodel.

When I built cabinets and furniture, I always shellacked the backside because I knew someday someone would slide it away from the wall to clean back there. I learned this tip from a piano builder who always painted the insides of his pianos black so the piano tuner wouldn't see bare wood when he was tuning it up.

I ran into some stupid tree-hugger environmentalists who suggested I could reduce toxic waste and improve air quality by not painting the insides of everything where it didn't need to be painted but I don't care about those things, I'm all about the highest possible quality. Cause I don't want to be lying on my deathbed lamenting the fact that I never shellacked the backsides of those cabinets. That would keep me up at night worrying so I just put paint everywhere now. I even paint the handles of my paint brushes before I use them - it's a real scam that they call it a "paint" brush but the handle comes without any paint, just bare wood! I've found it cleans up a lot better if I paint it first.

Now where was I going with this, I don't know, my memory is not so good no more. I think I'll have a beer. I'm done painting for the day.