Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol, i thought we were keeping this civil
I agree with ShortSeller on several things, and this is one of them. While I disagree with him on the future of Tesla, it's hard for me to understand the hostility directed at him or her. For those of us who are long TSLA, he is our best friend. This is a discussion about the future valuation of TSLA, not a discussion about who's lying or who's ethical, etc. It takes a lot of guts for him to be here, outnumbered about 30 to 1. I can understand disagreeing with his short thesis, but many of the attacks go beyond that.

TMC is heavily populated with TSLA bulls, probably for good reason. In a sea of highly optimistic investors, it's critically important to have people who can help us see what we might have missed; people who can help us see in our blind spots. ShortSeller has helped me re-evaluate my position. Fortunately I have come to different conclusions than him after evaluating Tesla's financial circumstances. I'm keeping my long position (and added to it last week) but it was important for me to hear what he had to say. In fact he pointed out some things that I was not aware of, which was helpful.

Going forward I hope this thread will start to appreciate and respect ShortSeller's role in this discussion, if not his opinion. Perhaps that will result in a more productive conversation with fewer insults.

Going forward I hope this thread will start to appreciate and respect ShortSeller's role in this discussion, if not his opinion. Perhaps that will result in a more productive conversation with fewer insults.

He has been caught out lying/misleading people here. Posting one thing on Twitter, posting another here. He is generally civil here (he doesn't want to stir up too much of a storm, which is good) but anybody who sees how active he is on Twitter and how toxic some of the stuff he posts there is will give him the respect he deserves here. None, in other words.

Interesting. On this day a year ago, TSLA was at almost exactly where it is today.

We all would have been better off in an index fund...
Except the prior 12 months the stock price doubled. So long and strong would have beat the index funds. In addition. This pause in the rapid increase in stock price has allowed many to accumulate more shares. It's like a gift from the production hell devil.

I agree with ShortSeller on several things, and this is one of them. While I disagree with him on the future of Tesla, it's hard for me to understand the hostility directed at him or her. For those of us who are long TSLA, he is our best friend. This is a discussion about the future valuation of TSLA, not a discussion about who's lying or who's ethical, etc. It takes a lot of guts for him to be here, outnumbered about 30 to 1. I can understand disagreeing with his short thesis, but many of the attacks go beyond that.

TMC is heavily populated with TSLA bulls, probably for good reason. In a sea of highly optimistic investors, it's critically important to have people who can help us see what we might have missed; people who can help us see in our blind spots. ShortSeller has helped me re-evaluate my position. Fortunately I have come to different conclusions than him after evaluating Tesla's financial circumstances. I'm keeping my long position (and added to it last week) but it was important for me to hear what he had to say. In fact he pointed out some things that I was not aware of, which was helpful.

Good post, I am short as well for a big number, I came here to see what I possibly missed in my analysis.

Post your position.
I don't think this is a reasonable request, let alone a demand. I don't post my position(s), why should he? I occasionally post about specific trades I make (like last week I bought some calls that expired worthless; if Friday had been Monday, I'd have tripled my investment), but I feel no need to tell people how much I currently hold.

I own Jan 19 $50 puts and Jan 20 $35 puts. Essentially betting on a restructuring by then. I’m not disclosing $ value.

And yes, I’m a lot more critical on Twitter than here, out of respect.
There are a total of 33 Jan20 $35 puts in open interest. So even if you owned all of them, that would be a total value of just under $10,000. Now there are 55,000 open interest Jan19 $50 puts so maybe that is the majority of your position, but that seems like an odd skew of put purchases. Maybe your position is just really small (which is fine of course, not judging). Just seems odd the amount of time and effort you spend on this for a smallish position.

• Funny
Reactions: SPadival
I don't think this is a reasonable request, let alone a demand. I don't post my position(s), why should he? I occasionally post about specific trades I make (like last week I bought some calls that expired worthless; if Friday had been Monday, I'd have tripled my investment), but I feel no need to tell people how much I currently hold.

I very much agree, which is why I have never made this request to anyone in the past. However, this poster has been caught clearly giving inaccurate information about their results and positions. Given that they created this thread specifically to discuss their position in TSLA, only on this occasion did it feel reasonable. My .02

Edit: Edited slightly to display a more neutral tone.

I own Jan 19 $50 puts and Jan 20 $35 puts. Essentially betting on a restructuring by then. I’m not disclosing $ value.

LOL! You certainly are neither in the green, nor a true short. You're a gambler, gl with this position. I think we can close this thread and any further conversation. At the very least, this will be my last time checking in here.

Reactions: neroden

You should have let me be your broker. I will pay double if you are ever ITM compared to what the market is offering for those puts. Want to deal?

• Funny
Reactions: Tenable and neroden
Wow. And seriously, this is investment advice (though it's free, so you can't sue me if it's wrong): you're going to lose your investment.

I want to establish my bona-fides as a pessimist here: if you search, you'll see a post by me called something like "This is why Tesla will die". There is something seriously wrong with Tesla's internal communications and problem prioritization and generally *management*, and if it's not fixed it will kill the company. eventually.

HOWEVER, there is no way that the actual problems with Tesla are going to catch up with them by January 2020. Tesla will do great in *that* timeframe, because there is no competition. That reservation list is rock-solid and will get longer, until real competition arrives -- which is impossible until very late in 2019, because nobody else started early enough. And so profits will be generated.

Yes, questioning the value of ones position is a mug’s game essentially. You’re going to have people with more or less. It’s like walking around asking people how much they make. No thanks.

I don’t think we want to know the $ amount you invested rather what your position is. Ie short at $340 or puts with such and such expire date. No one cares about how much you actually threw into the fire.

• Funny
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Hyundai Ioniq Electric is hard to find due to ‘battery shortage’ limiting production

Hyundai production limited by battery shortage. The number of people interested in buying an EV will explode thanks to the performance of all Tesla Models. Competitors will not be able to ramp production anywhere near fast enough to affect Tesla's growth in any way. The only things going to 0 are the accounts of short sellers.
Don't forget VW having the exact same issue, oh, even Nissan to some extend. Basically everyone but Tesla ;)