Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-usage supercharger station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this yet? I plugged into the La Costa urban supercharger and this message popped up on the dash. It automatically set my charge limit to 80%. I was able to move it back to 90% but I’m not sure if it will still stop at 80%.

Tesla announced this last week. It only applies to the busiest SC locations and at the busiest times. The vast majority of the SC network will not be affected.

• Funny
Reactions: David99
I just supercharged in Denver on a trip with the 80% limit announced upon initiating a charge. At the end of 80%, I easily bumped it to 90% (I felt more comfortable with this buffer) and it continued to charge without a problem, but only 50% of stalls filled at the time.

I charged in Hawthorne on Monday - no message, and of course no other Tesla’s :)

The McDonalds “cleanest bathrooms for miles” made the wife and I laugh - do the other restaurants get made about that sign and take it down when they can?

Edit: Got the message that night about 1030P while charging in South Lake Tahoe (Hard Rock) when only one other vehicle was there - with dozen or so free spots.

Gee, isn't every service center a high useage supercharger because every new vehicle delivery requires an 80+% charge. My local SC claims they have delivered >75 vehicles in one day (hard to believe).
I saw that warning message two days ago at the Dedham, MA SC at 11pm and it rolled back my set limit. Fortunately, I was able to override it to 95%. I was the only vehicle charging with numerous stalls vacant so didn't feel abusive.

Yeah Tesla really dropped the ball with both messaging and implementation on this.

• No charging should be limited, message appearing, or limits reset if more than 2 stalls are open at any supercharger

And for god's sake, give us a chademo/ccs adapter already.

They just seem confused as to what they want from the supercharger network for. Do you want Tesla owners to use it and make money off it? Then don't limit SC except at extremely busy superchargers. If you don't want them to use it then provide the chademo/ccs adapter so users have more options.

I
Yeah Tesla really dropped the ball with both messaging and implementation on this.

• No charging should be limited, message appearing, or limits reset if more than 2 stalls are open at any supercharger

And for god's sake, give us a chademo/ccs adapter already.

They just seem confused as to what they want from the supercharger network for. Do you want Tesla owners to use it and make money off it? Then don't limit SC except at extremely busy superchargers. If you don't want them to use it then provide the chademo/ccs adapter so users have more options.

Tesla makes a Chademo adapter. I've seen it in the wild. It won't work with my car, but that's a different post.

I don't agree that Tesla should only roll the charge goal back to 80% if 2 stalls are open. Remember that the second car on a pair is already rate limited. Goal is to get cars charged and out the door. Being the second car on a pair can severely cut your rate and extend your time.

There's something they can do to cut charging times without inconvenience. Provide and indication of which stall you should use to get the highest charging rate. I've been able to get the max rate by changing stalls twice now. Each time it is a crap shoot though. You never know if it will be better or worse.

Also, they should have a means of disabling stalls that are not functioning properly. I've "discovered" malfunctioning stalls at least twice. One I tied a knot in the cord (NOT SO EASY). A few minutes later a 10 year old untied it. lol Both chargers should have been disabled since Tesla already knew they didn't work. Even if the app didn't report it in the car, I'm sure they can turn off the red light! One failure was at Gaithersburg where it gets full. Anyone pulling into the bad stall might lose out on getting a good slot and have to wait again.

Tesla has no CCS adapter at this time. But they have been selling the CHAdeMO adapters for model S/X for years now. I have one and works fine as long as the CHAdeMO charging stations are trouble free (some have limitations on charging sessions or just being outright faulty).

There's also an issue with some cars. The Chademo adapter and fast charger at the MOM's store in Frederick works with some Teslas but not mine. I guy who has his own adapter brought it and it wouldn't charge my car while both adapters work with his car. I wouldn't mind having a Chademo adapter, but if they only work half the time I'll save the $500.

There's also an issue with some cars. The Chademo adapter and fast charger at the MOM's store in Frederick works with some Teslas but not mine. I guy who has his own adapter brought it and it wouldn't charge my car while both adapters work with his car. I wouldn't mind having a Chademo adapter, but if they only work half the time I'll save the $500.

May I ask what build year yours and the other guy Tesla's are?

I don't recall the other Tesla, but mine is about mid 2018. This was done last year while it was still not cold, so my guess would be his is a bit older.

This might be similar to the issue of the new cars not working with the older HPWC (ver.1) but the older cars being capable to work with the HPWC v1 and v2, if I remember it correctly. There was a long thread about it here at TMC.

Also, the I believe the CHAdeMO adapters' firmware can be updated by SC's. Have you looked into it?

This might be similar to the issue of the new cars not working with the older HPWC (ver.1) but the older cars being capable to work with the HPWC v1 and v2, if I remember it correctly. There was a long thread about it here at TMC.

Also, the I believe the CHAdeMO adapters' firmware can be updated by SC's. Have you looked into it?

It's not my adapter. The other guy (bluetinc) said he would follow up with tech support, but that his adapter had already been updated (I think). Just to see what might come of it, I contacted Fuji to see if they are interested in ironing this out.