Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Legacy manufacturers are also going to struggle to maintain their profit margins in the transition phase from ICE to EV. From what I've read it will be at least a decade before an EV will cost about the same to build as an equivalent ICE. Plus we will see govt EV subsidies drying up - as just happened right here! Tesla are still in a very good position with no diminishing legacy ICE revenue to worry about and the cheapest unit battery cost in the industry. In another decade the gap will inevitably close, but these cars are not suddenly going to get massively cheaper and manufacturers are going to want to cover their massive development expenditure on EVs. Dealers are also going to have to work out how to survive in a world of minimal servicing and increasing online sales.

if you had asked me a couple of years ago if I would ever
a) spend 50K on a car
b) buy an American car
The answer would have been Noooooo to both. And yet here we are
yet despite that 50K for a Hyundai still seems like a step I am not ready for
Give me some time.
Heh I am on the same boat. Was considering the Ioniq for the wife but 50k does seem a lot. Maybe the smaller battery one? We will see.

£48k (was £45k) is for absolutely every option, including a solar roof. Even at £3k more that was originally anticipated it’s great value. UK market is tough for Hyundai as badge is king. I think they should of just had Ioniq branding, no ‘h’. Brand snobbery aside, it’s a great looking car and is excellent value.

ICE are more than just petrol engine, in fact I can't remember having any repairs done to an engine, gearbox or exhaust in nearly 30 years of driving. I can think of brakes, the odd electrical gremlin, some bodyshop work, a leak from a window seal, a failed light unit.. all things that will happen on an EV just as easily as a ICE. Even servicing has been as cheap as chips in the last 10 years with service packs costing relatively little money so the oil changes haven't cost that much.

Dealerships can also make money on selling approved used cars and selling financial services products. They'll cope I'm sure.

ICE are more than just petrol engine, in fact I can't remember having any repairs done to an engine, gearbox or exhaust in nearly 30 years of driving. I can think of brakes, the odd electrical gremlin, some bodyshop work, a leak from a window seal, a failed light unit.. all things that will happen on an EV just as easily as a ICE. Even servicing has been as cheap as chips in the last 10 years with service packs costing relatively little money so the oil changes haven't cost that much.

Dealerships can also make money on selling approved used cars and selling financial services products. They'll cope I'm sure.
You’ve been lucky. My BMW Mini cost me thousands in fixing ICE related issues. Head gasket went after around 6-7 years, clutch went after 9 years, two exhausts replaced during a 10 year period, engine coolant leak that required various trips to the dealer within the first 5 years, paying for the work each trip and the issue not being fixed (Love that BMW 3 year warranty... :rolleyes: ). Won’t be missing all that nonsense!

Reactions: Yev000
You’ve been lucky. My BMW Mini cost me thousands in fixing ICE related issues. Head gasket went after around 6-7 years, clutch went after 9 years, two exhausts replaced during a 10 year period, engine coolant leak that required various trips to the dealer within the first 5 years, paying for the work each trip and the issue not being fixed (Love that BMW 3 year warranty... :rolleyes: ). Won’t be missing all that nonsense!
Yeah I had an "unexpected bill" every year with my BMW...

Here is all the servicing over 7 years - which doesn't include the last MOT which had to fix the suspension before it passed:

TypeNet CostVATTotal CostDateCar
Ipod£509.0026 October 2012BMW
MOT£54.0014 June 2013BMW
Puncture£24.5002 September 2013BMW
Service£618.1902 October 2013BMW
Service£118.9131 January 2014BMW
MOT£54.0004 July 2014BMW
Service + Battery£526.7402 March 2015BMW
Window Motor£328.0017 April 2015BMW
MOT+handles£285.0001 July 2015BMW
Service£142.5711 August 2015BMW
Boot + steering£984.1429 October 2015BMW
Service + 4 Tyres£1,487.9810 December 2015BMW
oil leak repair£1,030.2919 December 2015BMW
Halo Light bulbs£193.1804 March 2016BMW
Accident excess£300.0028 April 2016BMW
Service£344.9911 May 2016BMW
MOT + Door Handle£153.4508 July 2016BMW
Fuel Leak£308.4005 August 2016BMW
Crankshaft Pulley£696.6201 November 2016BMW
MOT£50.0003 July 2017BMW
Air Con£58.22
£11.64​
£69.8601 August 2017BMW
Major Service£315.88
£63.18​
£379.0601 August 2017BMW
Brake Fluid£65.00
£13.00​
£78.0001 August 2017BMW
2 Rear Tyres + rebalance£557.8519 August 2017BMW
Alloy wheel Weld£95.0025 August 2017BMW
Alloy Wheel Refirb£408.0001 September 2017BMW
Front Brakes£444.7215 January 2018BMW
Aircon Condenser£576.4020 April 2018BMW
Oil change + fix diesel in oil£1,391.8828 April 2018BMW
Coolant leak£342.0112 June 2018BMW
MOT£50.0006 July 2018BMW
2 Front Tyres£465.4830 July 2018BMW
Rear Brakes + Disks£291.9817 September 2018BMW

Reactions: Medved_77

Those service packs are just baked into the overall cost of the car and only benefit the original new car owner for the first few years. The dealership is still making plenty of money out of those routine services, even if you don't see it. Dealership margins are tiny as it is and so they can't afford to lose a penny anywhere in the food chain. Have you seen how much they charge for a litre of oil? They will be bricking themselves at the thought of transitioning to an EV world.

BTW, it's the dealers themselves who are worried about their future income streams from EVs and they ought to know better than you or I.

Last edited:
I had an E61 and had to actively manage a trello board in order to keep track of all the issues. The car was 15 years old when I sold it, but I reckon 80% of it must have been less than 3 years old.

How much of that was at a main dealer?

My father-in-law is a recently retired main dealer principal and he basically says people pay at for 2 services while the car is under warranty then rapidly start to use indies for servicing unless its too complex a fix for them. He offered lower rates for 5 year old cars to try and keep them coming back which helped buck the trend but that was only viable on marginal costing basis and ignoring the overheads of staff training etc. New car sales are now largely cut throat and with dealer margins heavily discounted so unless you sell finance, GAP, paint protection or wheel insurance you'll not make much. The money comes from being a franchised approved seller which gave you a £500-£1000 edge over the non franchise sellers.

Numbers dealers may need to change but they always moan about change to try and screw a better deal out the manufacturer

if you had asked me a couple of years ago if I would ever
a) spend 50K on a car
b) buy an American car
The answer would have been Noooooo to both. And yet here we are
yet despite that 50K for a Hyundai still seems like a step I am not ready for
Give me some time.
Haha, yea I know what you mean. I do have a little bit of FOMO as I feel they will keep updating the cars with newer features and changes to the car.