Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest density of Model S's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I live in San Diego, and rarely spot any Model S's driving around. I have seen them, but are pretty rare. This week I'm in Hong Kong, and they seem like candy around here. Every day I've seen at least 5 on the road, if not more. I also saw a model X today. HK also has a ton of ICE luxury cars on the roads.

Where do people see the most Tesla's on the road?

The SF bay area is super dense with Model S. In early April I went out to run errands in my 1 week old Model S. Just in the ~15 mile radius around my house I spotted 5 other new (no license plate yet) Model S and a bunch of other not-so-new ones. The new ones were probably like mine, rushed out to meet the quarterly quota. The HOV lanes around here are almost embarrassing, the Teslas are like the Prius used to be, almost every other car.

Edit: I'm specifically talking south bay, between Cupertino and Los Gatos.

Reactions: newtman
The other day I drove in the 405 freeway through Los Angeles. It was light traffic. I counted 3 Teslas for every 10 min of driving in one direction. Sine I was watching the road driving in the opposite direction I might have missed a few. In some areas around Los Angeles and Orange County it's common to see even more.

So I live in San Diego, and rarely spot any Model S's driving around. I have seen them, but are pretty rare. This week I'm in Hong Kong, and they seem like candy around here. Every day I've seen at least 5 on the road, if not more. I also saw a model X today. HK also has a ton of ICE luxury cars on the roads.

I live in Scripps Ranch (San Diego) and I see at least 1-2 cars each night I am driving home. Interesting about HK though.

I read that Tesla sold over 2,200 Model S in Hong Kong in 2015 alone, and the Model S now accounts for over 70% of the electric cars there. Apparently there were only about 100 electric cars in total there in 2010, so huge growth of EVs and Tesla in HK, a country of just a little over 400 sq miles in area.
Hong Kong supposedly also has the highest density of Superchargers anywhere in the world - 8 stations/36 stalls, they say a SC within 20minutes of most owners there.

I think Norway has something like a little over 10,000 Model S registered owners, so yes maybe highest density per capita? but per sq mile maybe Hong Kong is densest?

here locally (Vancouver) I might see 3-5 or more Model S around/near downtown on a typical day. Although we did have 22 Model S show up in one spot during a recent local Tesla owners club rally & meetup in the town of Hope, BC (pop ~6k), does that count? :)

I recently sat with someone receiving chemotherapy at Stanford's Redwood City infusion facility, they have suites on the third floor with floor-to-ceiling views eastward towards the 101 freeway (which includes HOV lanes) and the bay beyond, about 10 miles south of the San Francisco airport. I had a clear view of about a 1/4 mile stretch of the highway both directions. I passed some of the time counting Teslas. I saw hundreds go by during the morning commute, I think at least 1 in 5 of the cars in the HOV lanes were Teslas, and during non-commute times there was almost always a Tesla somewhere in view in one of the HOV lanes heading north or south. Silicon Valley is clearly ground zero for Tesla volume, if not density.

Orange County has the most owners. Still.

The Bay Area (more than 1 county of course) and Los Angeles County are probably neck and neck. I'm sitting here in Ventura County at the typically slow Oxnads SC and in less than a half hour have seen 4 MXs including a Sig P90DL.

There's one NY county that's right up there as well.

Per capita as a country, Norway, followed by, one would think, the Benelux region.

In Madison, WI weeks can go by without seeing another one, then I might see two in one day. Most are P85 or 85D.

When I recently visited San Jose, I saw dozens per day. Many more 60's than I see back in WI. Of course, we have much further to drive between SuperChargers!

I see quite a few Tesla's here in the Seattle area on a daily basis. Mostly S with an occasional X or Roadster. The Tesla store is right in the heart of the South Lake Union neighborhood, where Amazon has their HQ along with many other young tech companies. We had a nice line nearly around the entire block for the Model 3 reservations. And lots of i3 and Leaf drivers, too, especially now that BMW is running their ReachNow car sharing service in Seattle with the i3 as one of the primary vehicles.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I recently sat with someone receiving chemotherapy at Stanford's Redwood City infusion facility, they have suites on the third floor with floor-to-ceiling views eastward towards the 101 freeway (which includes HOV lanes) and the bay beyond, about 10 miles south of the San Francisco airport. I had a clear view of about a 1/4 mile stretch of the highway both directions. I passed some of the time counting Teslas. I saw hundreds go by during the morning commute, I think at least 1 in 5 of the cars in the HOV lanes were Teslas, and during non-commute times there was almost always a Tesla somewhere in view in one of the HOV lanes heading north or south. Silicon Valley is clearly ground zero for Tesla volume, if not density.
I think you hit the sweet spot.

I commonly see dozens on commutes that originate in Palo Alto, go through Los Gatos and wind up into Santa Cruz mountains. I'm pretty much going through some of the biggest hot spots.

But you clearly have me beat by at least 3x or more.

Notice how there's more spottings for you watching a commuter lane than me in swanky spots. Tesla's aren't simply for vanity; they serve practical needs for well off long distance commuters more than they fit the bill as show car. I think this is a fundamental foundational change.

I see plenty of Model S's in San Diego. It all depends on which area in San Diego you are in. I see a few every day when I go to work and coming back from work. They're out there. There are even a few around my neighborhood.

I think you hit the sweet spot.

I commonly see dozens on commutes that originate in Palo Alto, go through Los Gatos and wind up into Santa Cruz mountains. I'm pretty much going through some of the biggest hot spots.

But you clearly have me beat by at least 3x or more.

Notice how there's more spottings for you watching a commuter lane than me in swanky spots. Tesla's aren't simply for vanity; they serve practical needs for well off long distance commuters more than they fit the bill as show car. I think this is a fundamental foundational change.

The Peninsula between Palo Alto and Atherton/Woodside is definitely a hot spot. I saw three Model Xs last weekend on a 20 minute drive on El Camino between Palo Alto and Redwood City.