Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't follow. Why couldn't the new and old lines operate simultaneously? Plenty of space and no shortage of raw materials (I hope).

Assume the new line produces 4x the number of packs with the same amount of labor. The new line machines arrive from Germany and are being assembled. At that point you are literally a short number of days away from drastically cutting production costs. From a financial standpoint, it makes sense to shut the old line down. The new line will more than make up for the lost production of the old line very quickly, at lower cost.

Tesla having sent out the massive invite set on 2-22, and following it up with another one a week later pretty much confirms a big jump in production is imminent.

The tracking spreadsheet shows a big drop in VIN assignments from 2-22 to 2-27. The VIN assignment is now back on track. If the new line is running, we should see a big jump in the number of VINs assigned, corresponding to the big jump in invites. Big jump in deliveries is the last domino do fall.

RT

My recent Model 3 invite and subsequent configuration has brought an almost Zen like clarity to my thought processes!

Last edited:
Tesla having sent out the massive invite set on 2-22, and following it up with another one a week later pretty much confirms a big jump in production is imminent.
Or, delays created a motivation for Tesla to get a bunch of CA invites out in recent days so that at least local deliveries can be made by the end of Q1 to do some damage control on otherwise dismal Q1 delivery metrics, and those invited in the past few weeks (2/14 and onward) who are not near the factory will see their vehicles in April instead of by 3/31 (2/14 and 2/15 configurers should see delivery by 3/31, but if delays with robots have now threatened that timing, Tesla may be punting by inviting CA people right now and bank on handling local deliveries by 3/31).

Assume the new line produces 4x the number of packs with the same amount of labor. The new line machines arrive from Germany and are being assembled. At that point you are literally a short number of days away from drastically cutting production costs. From a financial standpoint, it makes sense to shut the old line down. The new line will more than make up for the lost production of the old line very quickly, at lower cost.

Surely any cost savings from prematurely stopping battery production on the old lines is dwarfed by the costs of idling production lines in Fremont, as well as the opportunity cost of the lost revenue from selling fewer cars in the quarter. Remember that this theory was originally offered to explain Tesla's production shortfall.

Further, idling one line before the other is producing in volume is risky: if the second line doesn't work, or is delayed, you don't have any way to manufacture batteries. Whereas, running both lines gives you a surplus of batteries, which are useful to have in case of future outages.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12 and UZJedi
Caught my first model 3 in the wild! Serial number 46XX. Must have just been delivered.
P1000704.JPG