Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a bear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solid guess the repair quote is 19k. Autosteer was on and I don't know if I noticed any AEB response as I slammed the brakes myself and tried steering left to avoid it. The bear came running out of the bush on the left side in the picture and I had little time to react.

I feel bad about the bear, but I guess these things happen.

So did the bear go up and over the inside of the hood to bend it in half like that?
If so it probably protected you from the bear coming in through the windshield.
Looks like that impact would have been pretty scary.

Yeah it went up and over to the side. One of the firefighters that was on scene said it's made to do that to prevent wildlife from going through the windshield.

Reactions: KenC
Update- estimated repair is 19k cdn. Breakdown of 10.2k parts, 3k labour 2.4k refinishing 1.4k mechanical and a few other small things.

ICBC initially deemed it a total loss and sent me the salvage papers because in their system it came up as unsafe to repair because of the airbags. This was without ICBC looking at the car and the the repair shop which is Tesla certified said they need to do an estimate before it can be declared total loss. After the estimate they said its not a total loss and it will be repaired.

My concern is they also said as they work on the vehicle they may find more parts that need to be replaced and labour costs may also increase. I feel as if its been underquoted so the repair shop can make money off the repair instead of it being a total loss.

The repair description is 4 pages long. Really wish there was an ETA for parts!

Do you really want a car with 20k in repairs? The resale value takes an enormous hit. Also, don’t be surprised if there’s a lot of extra rattles if nothing worse when you get it back.

Push for a total!!
Definitely pushing for a total, not only for resale value and extra rattles but the unknown repair time. Also theres no diminished value payouts by insurance in BC.

Reactions: SoCalDriver
Labor looks way underbid. Also it has an extra "u" in it. Grin.
I have a feeling it was underbid so they can repair the car instead of total loss. If its a total loss the shop makes no money. They also mentioned as they do the work there may be more labour/parts added as they may not be able to see the full scope of work until they are doing it.

Update- estimated repair is 19k cdn. Breakdown of 10.2k parts, 3k labour 2.4k refinishing 1.4k mechanical and a few other small things.

ICBC initially deemed it a total loss and sent me the salvage papers because in their system it came up as unsafe to repair because of the airbags. This was without ICBC looking at the car and the the repair shop which is Tesla certified said they need to do an estimate before it can be declared total loss. After the estimate they said its not a total loss and it will be repaired.

My concern is they also said as they work on the vehicle they may find more parts that need to be replaced and labour costs may also increase. I feel as if its been underquoted so the repair shop can make money off the repair instead of it being a total loss.

The repair description is 4 pages long. Really wish there was an ETA for parts!
I BET it is being under-quoted. Especially on laboUr. :)
I had a car valued at CAD$8500. ICBC repaired it and spent CAD$8700 on it. I would have rather had it totaled. Repair shop wanted to fix it and make the cash. ICBC certified shop in Penticton. They did a lackluster job. Try to get ICBC to look at it again & TOTAL it.

Was wondering what ICBC was, assumed it was that megahuge bank from China, since the OP was from Vancouver, but not sure, so I put it into DDG, and found the Insurance Corp of British Columbia. Must be annoying to have the same initials considering banking and insurance are closely related.

They also mentioned as they do the work there may be more labour/parts added as they may not be able to see the full scope of work until they are doing it.
That is true on just about every claim. Until things are disassembled, they don’t have the full picture. I don’t remember if you said which version of the car you have, but it is at least $55,000 cdn, it is very unlikely they will total it with an estimate under $20,000.