Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holder, Creeper, Roller?

Which mode do you use?

• Hold

Votes: 91 91.9%
  • Creep

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Roll

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • What the hell are you on about, I only have creep or roll to choose from?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now we have had proper one pedal driving available (apologies those who don't, this only applies to Model 3 and Raven cars) for a little while, have you adopted it and what do you think of it?

Me, I think it's a key benefit of EVs and it seems to me the other options are only really there to mimic an undesirable limitation of ICE. Noddy Holder all the way.

This follows this thread:
One pedal driving
Sorry for the hijack, if that's what it is.

I use Hold for normal driving, but Creep, I find essential for the multipoint turns necessary to position my car directly in front of my garage.
Needless to say the approach and room for manoeuvring are severely restricted.

I use Hold for normal driving, but Creep, I find essential for the multipoint turns necessary to position my car directly in front of my garage.

While I don't have this issue and am happy with hold for tight manouvring, a similar ish point is that when regen is fully limited down to nothing at all, and you're used to flicking between D and R without the brake even with a bit of speed, you get nothing and have to use the brake pedal to slow down. Perfectly logical but gave me a little surprise today.

If you were an alien landing on earth right now and you got into an EV, you’d have to have it explained to you why creep and roll exist.

[disclaimer: those of a nervous disposition, there’s no evidence aliens exist so don’t be getting all nervous climbing into your car on dark nights.]

If you were an alien landing on earth right now and you got into an EV, you’d have to have it explained to you why creep and roll exist.

[disclaimer: those of a nervous disposition, there’s no evidence aliens exist so don’t be getting all nervous climbing into your car on dark nights.]

Very true. When Toyota were developing the Prius (which uses electric drive exclusively for all low speed manoeuvring, even if the Atkinson cycle engine is running) they had problems with the acceptability of the car's "feel" at low speeds. All their test drivers reported that the car felt odd, as it just stopped when the accelerator pedal was lifted.

They described this in the book they produced about the development process, "Prius That Shook The World". Their fix was to model the behaviour of automatic cars, and artificially build in creep, so that drivers felt more at home when switching from an auto to a Prius.

I suspect we can blame Toyota for EVs having a creep mode, as it seems that they may have started it back around 1999. The annoying thing is that creep mode couldn't be turned off, Toyota felt that it was essential that the car felt like a conventional auto transmission to drive, and that having creep was safety critical.

I have my profile set to Hold and never change this.

On my old LEAF I used to have the ePedal on for single pedal driving, but would always switch it off for multipoint turning and parallel parking. This was because the ePedal breaking was too harsh and the jerk forward when applying the accelerator after the car had stopped was very aggressive unlike the M3, which is a much smother transition.

I'd had my M3 for a couple of weeks and had been reading about one pedal driving. Then the new Hold mode came in an update. I was so impressed that entire journeys could be done without touching the brake pedal. (Now, if it could only turn off the brake lights when someone is stopped behind after a few seconds of being stationary in hold...)

My driveway is up hill slightly on to a busy road that is supposed to be 40mph (but most a'holes don't bother sticking to that). I was using hold and really liked the not having to break, however I've had to revert to roll as it allows me to edge out to see if the road is clear and then roll back if needed. Wish I could change mid-drive or have it change based on GPS location.

My driveway is up hill slightly on to a busy road that is supposed to be 40mph (but most a'holes don't bother sticking to that). I was using hold and really liked the not having to break, however I've had to revert to roll as it allows me to edge out to see if the road is clear and then roll back if needed. Wish I could change mid-drive or have it change based on GPS location.
Can you set up an additional driver profile with just the change to the drive mode? Might be a quick way to switch between modes?

Or just chose for forward and chose for reverse. I'm happy 100% of the time forwards. Not so reversing.

Might try that tomorrow - will let you know how it goes.
Tried it this morning - I've set up a profile for home with roll mode and then hold in my normal profile. Worked great. I am surprised that it allows you to change profile while driving given that seat positions can change but it does so happy days. I just need to check if there is a voice command to change profile (don't think there is) - save me stabbing about at the screen to change it mid drive!

however I've had to revert to roll as it allows me to edge out to see if the road is clear and then roll back if needed

That's one thing I miss as well: being able to roll back a little from a junction when "holding" on the clutch (when there's noone behind you, of course). I wonder if shifting into neutral with your foot gently on the brake would work or would the car detect the roll and go into "park"?

I just love the adrenalin rush I get when hold is activated because of not knowing if my car is going to stop in time before it ploughs into the stationary car in front. Great fun! (so far I've been lucky) :cool:

If you weren't so local, I would have asked if you had got to the point of seeing if emergency brake assist works in those circumstances ;)

Tried it this morning - I've set up a profile for home with roll mode and then hold in my normal profile. Worked great. I am surprised that it allows you to change profile while driving given that seat positions can change but it does so happy days. I just need to check if there is a voice command to change profile (don't think there is) - save me stabbing about at the screen to change it mid drive!
OK I was talking balls. I noticed this morning that I get a big warning saying that you can't change drive mode will driving. I changed profiles and the seat positions change etc but creep/roll/hold stays at the setting it was when you started the drive. I even put it into park at the first opportunity but that didn't seem to matter. Oh well - still helps in that I can have a different seat setting for trying to look down the road than the one I have while cruising around.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro