Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy crap Tidal makes the audio system come ALIVE.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool on the home gear and blue Blue!

And yes, that means I will need to get adept at creating that iPhone hotspot and just be in the habit of doing it. Kind of a pain it just won’t reestablish itself but maybe that will correct itself over time. Meanwhile, doesn’t help to bitch about it just will learn how to do it
I just have a wifi hotspot plugged in. Turning on wifi is still a bit slow, but way faster than re-initiating the iPhone hotspot, plus then turning on the wifi.

After using Tidal and a hotspot for almost a year now, I finally figured out how to turn the hotspot on while driving easily. 1) Turn on the hotspot on your phone (iPhone settings at the bottom of the first grouping). 2) On the console, hit the car button, then the wifi/lte icon on the top right. 3) Wifi Settings 4)Turn on wifi. It should connect to the hotspot automatically from there since it will be the only wifi once on the road. Why the wifi icon disappears from your screen I still don't know, but even when I was trying to set something up it has disappeared and I have to go back to the car menu to bring it back. I haven't tried a voice command, I wonder if that'll work too. I'm going to give that a try. Nope, didn't work with voice.

I tried the native free Slacker and it was horrible. Maybe 320kbs will sound better, but I'm happy with Tidal.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelPhonic1
After using Tidal and a hotspot for almost a year now, I finally figured out how to turn the hotspot on while driving easily. 1) Turn on the hotspot on your phone (iPhone settings at the bottom of the first grouping). 2) On the console, hit the car button, then the wifi/lte icon on the top right. 3) Wifi Settings 4)Turn on wifi. It should connect to the hotspot automatically from there since it will be the only wifi once on the road. Why the wifi icon disappears from your screen I still don't know, but even when I was trying to set something up it has disappeared and I have to go back to the car menu to bring it back. I haven't tried a voice command, I wonder if that'll work too. I'm going to give that a try. Nope, didn't work with voice.

I tried the native free Slacker and it was horrible. Maybe 320kbs will sound better, but I'm happy with Tidal.
I got a separate hotspot other than my phone so than i only have to activate wi-fi in the car. The hotspot battery dies between drives but it wakes up within 5 minutes or so if driving. Since the separate hotspot handles more data without being throttled back like my phone, I’ll also use the hotspot for work in a pinch when necessary.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
It had BETTER make some difference, otherwise why do they charge more for it? OTOH, the "significance" is subjective, and only you can answer that question.
What I actually meant to ask was whether this whole Spotify Vs Tidal thing that everyone is praising here will make a difference on standard tesla audio if we don’t have premium audio in the car?

It had BETTER make some difference, otherwise why do they charge more for it? OTOH, the "significance" is subjective, and only you can answer that question.

What I actually meant to ask was whether this whole Spotify Vs Tidal thing that everyone is praising here will make a difference on standard tesla audio if we don’t have premium audio in the car?
I'm gonna second what @drtimhill said. For some people, the difference between HiFi audio vs. 320 kbps MP3 audio is like night and day. Others literally can't hear a difference. For me personally, the difference is subtle, even with my M3's "premium" audio system. As for how much a difference it makes on premium vs. standard systems - that again is quite subjective, and no one else can answer that for you. I'd suggest paying for each for a month and doing some A/B testing with your own ears. You'll probably come to a conclusion pretty quickly.

For what it's worth - Tidal reportedly pays artists a fairer share of revenue, and I really like being able to download music ahead of time, something you can't do with the Spotify app. That being said, Spotify seems infinitely more reliable/less buggy when streaming music. Tidal tends to spin for a good while if the music isn't already downloaded, and even when downloaded I often experience some playback hiccups.

Reactions: Individoo
I never have any issues with Tidal itself. Sometimes I can't get the hotspot to connect, but even that is rare. And the nice thing about downloading in advance is you don't have dead spots in service, which is also rare here on the east coast.

I have an SR+ with the "standard" audio, which is really a stripped down system where they eliminated some speakers (some of which are there but not connected) and then quickly tuned it to sound OK. I found the sound horrendous, especially when we got Tidal, so I replaced the dash speakers and the door mid/woofers. It sounds much better this way. You can actually crank it up now without making your ears bleed. The speakers fit in the original spaces with mounting brackets and I was able to do it myself. Having done that I now have the original Tesla drivers sitting in my basement and I have to say they are pretty cheaply made. Paper cones, small magnets, plastic baskets. It was kind of like Bose, they took cheap parts and tuned them so you'd be fooled into thinking they sound good until you hear them next to something that actually does sound good and you realize what they are missing.

I must be happy with this setup since I just turn it on and listen and don't think about how I could improve it anymore.

I find Spotify audio quality is terrible in these cars so I use Bluetooth for audio in my model 3P. How does Tidal compare to Bluetooth for audio quality? I update my music library slot so I don’t want to be constantly fiddling with USB.

Hard to say. I am a very picky listener, but I still struggle to discern any difference between Tidal and Spotify. If it were possible to compare them by switching instantly with the press of a button it might be easier but it’s not. By the time I stop Spotify and start Tidal it is hard to remember the quality. This is complicated by the fact that the two sources may be playing different masters and there are often volume differences. After matching vol I can’t hear a difference. However, I also can’t hear over 12kHz, so if there are high frequency differences they are lost on me.

I find Spotify audio quality is terrible in these cars so I use Bluetooth for audio in my model 3P. How does Tidal compare to Bluetooth for audio quality? I update my music library slot so I don’t want to be constantly fiddling with USB.
Tidal is much better than Bluetooth. It is full CD quality whereas BT as implemented by Tesla doesn't support the latest BT standards, which still only get you about 900kbps. There is no fiddling to do with USB with Tidal.

I confirm. Playing Spotify or Tidal over BT from my smartphone (Sony Xperia 5 III) gives better sound quality than playing it natively through the cars' apps. Playing natively from the car Tidal has the clear edge over Spotify as for sound quality.

I confirm. Playing Spotify or Tidal over BT from my smartphone (Sony Xperia 5 III) gives better sound quality than playing it natively through the cars' apps. Playing natively from the car Tidal has the clear edge over Spotify as for sound quality.
I am confused by this comment. To play Tidal in HiFi lossless I believe you must use the car's built in Tidal app. There is no way to send HiFi audio rates (48kHz/16) over bluetooth. At least not by any protocols available in the Tesla. Are you talking only about non-HiFi Tidal perhaps?