Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to have a 3 phase electricity supply in a domestic building?

Certainly, but it costs more (to install) so most buildings don't have it unless they have more load than can be supplied easily at single phase.

Historically, electric heating was the main reason for needing it, but very large houses may have it. Most blocks of flats will have 3-phase to the building, but only one phase supplied to each individual flat, hopefully with roughly 1/3 of the flats on each phase.

Likewise, a row of houses will almost always have 3-phase cable in the street, with the houses attached to just one phase, alternating down the street. So in that case it wouldn't have cost much more to bring in the 3-phase into a house at the time it was built but at the time there was no point; now it will cost a fair amount to upgrade as you've got to dig up the pavement again.

In rural areas with a house out on its own, the cost difference between single- and 3-phase can be substantial.

Is it possible to have a 3 phase electricity supply in a domestic building?

Yes, but if you are charging overnight then 7KW (22-ish MPH) usually enough. 3-Phase more useful if your use-case is coming home and needing to go out again shortly thereafter. If not already fitted then 3-phase upgrade can very expensive to have connected (power company monopoly cost applies in many places :( )

So I ordered the Andersen A2 home charger after much research and some conversations with them. Very helpful team, impressive responsiveness.

However, just received an email to advise that they won’t be able to install until September at the earliest due to a batch quality issue and subsequent need to reorder the affected parts. Not sure what the problem is exactly. Given my place in the order queue September is probably OK but they said September “at the earliest” which is a bit concerning. I’m actually now hoping my M3 isn’t delivered until then so don’t want to receive “the text” any time soon :cool:

Anyway I thought those of you also considering the Andersen unit would be interested in this as you may need a home charger sooner than September.

• Informative
Reactions: Baldrick
Had an electrician round this am to get a quote for a temp commando socket. We have some building work scheduled in the area that the charger needs to go so well install a proper charger then. This seems like a hopefully cheap way to charge at a reasonable speed in the mean time.

If 24hr is too slow for a full up I'm not far from a SC.

Had an electrician round this am to get a quote for a temp commando socket.
Does the M3 come with a commando adapter - if so, what current rating - 16A? Is that same as a blue campsite hookup?

I don’t know too much about commando sockets but sounds like it would make a good backup inside the garage in case wall connector goes bad. Then hopefully I could get a short flying lead made up for commando to 13A socket that I could plug lawn mower into - when not charging at 32A! Will a 32A commando socket accept a 16A commando plug?

Does the M3 come with a commando adapter - if so, what current rating - 16A? Is that same as a blue campsite hookup?
It appears that the M3 comes with a new-version UMC that has adapters for 13A plug and 16A blue commando. Certainly that was the case with the one in the boot of a display model I looked at. This is different from the old UMC supplied with Model S/X which had 32A blue commando.

16A blue commando is the same as a caravan hookup.

I don’t know too much about commando sockets but sounds like it would make a good backup inside the garage in case wall connector goes bad. Then hopefully I could get a short flying lead made up for commando to 13A socket that I could plug lawn mower into - when not charging at 32A! Will a 32A commando socket accept a 16A commando plug?

The different current ratings of commando socket are different sizes so can't be plugged into each other. They are exactly the same shape, only bigger/smaller, so it's difficult to tell from a photo which size you are looking at.

16A is a much more significant step up from a 13A plug than it first appears, for two reasons:
  • 13A plugs aren't really up to 13A continuously for a long time, so the UMC's 13A adapter actually charges at a rate of 10A. Conversely, the commando plugs are OK at their full rating, so the car can charge at 16A.
  • Faster charging is more efficient. As a rough estimate 1A of your charge current is "wasted" running auxiliaries (cooling systems, computers etc.)
So the comparison on actual charging speed is more like 9:15, or 66% faster with the blue commando than the 13A plug.

I don’t know too much about commando sockets but sounds like it would make a good backup inside the garage in case wall connector goes bad.

I had my Sparky fit a Commando, and also an external 13 AMP (to hoover the car/whatever) at the same time as Wall Charger - but my Wallcharger is outside.

When I bought mine choice of Wall charger was more limited - even Tesla one wasn't available back then ... the Rolec model I have was unreliable (improved since) and I had to use the Commando whilst waiting for Sparky to fix the Rolec.

I also thought that it might be handy for visiting EVs to charge ... only ever had visiting Tesla's though!

If 24hr is too slow for a full up I'm not far from a SC.

If you actually have 24 hours available for charging (e.g. staying at Relies) then almost always "that will do"

13AMP plug is a shade over 2kW (after allowing for the overhead of charging)

Model-S say 300 kWh/mi = 6.5 MPH - 150 miles / 24 hours
Model-3 say 250 kWh/mi = 8 MPH - 200 miles / 24 hours

Ok I'm getting really confused now on chargers.

I was planning on getting Zappi but they have a 12 week back order so wouln't be able to install until probably September. They also said that since January all new standard chargers (as in not Zappi v2) need to have a ground rod and RCD with DC leak protection installed so the installation costs have gone up.

ACarneiro did the £350 cover all of this new regulation too?

need to have a ground rod and RCD

This is not a new regulation. Competent installers have been doing it (where required, which isn't ALL installations) for years.

DC leak protection installed

This is a new regulation, and very expensive (~£200) to provide as part of the installation of an old design chargepoint that doesn't have it internally. It is however fairly cheap to build in to a chargepoint if you are prepared to redesign it.

Hi Arg,

Thanks for the info. So do the Tesla chargers not have the DC leak built in?

Unfortunately not. The design has remained unchanged, so far as I can tell. It's an obvious thing to do if they ever get around to spending more effort on it, but that only seems to happen every few years (V1 of the wall connector was in 2012, N.America only, V2 was in 2017 with new features and a European version).