Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats danielp,
Did you use any of the By-Laws from my post or did you come up with your own.
If you have time could you post your own experience as I know a lot of apartment dwellers are interested in what we have done.:cool:

Hi Meloccom - yes, the By-Laws are based off your's (thank you!) with some changes. A quick summary:
  • A new circuit is needed to be fed from our main elec room, not off household board. Exception is vehicles using 10A only charging for things like a LEAF that can come off the existing household supply (a GPO). A new meter is optional in either case (use existing unit meter and feed)
  • OC asked for a liability waiver
  • OC added point that owner is responsible for all on-going compliance costs.
  • Limited spec to 240v/40A single phase. Three-phase is too hard for us for now. Single-phase makes it real simple as it avoids the OC having to pay for anything.

I will write up the long version when I have time and post it here with pics!

Did my daily check of My Dashboard - no change of course. :mad:
I did notice that I have a new document in the Model S Guides section titled "Wall Connector Installation Guide Australia".
It's actually for Asia with the Australian section starting at page 65 or there about.
Still calls for de-rating the connector to 16 amps on my 32 amp circuit.

One thing I noticed with this new HPWC (Asia/Australia model) is that my cable is approx 5.5m long. The manual still states 7.6m... curious if this was done on purpose such as for a statutory requirement. The electrician did not cut it back. While not a big deal (I'm happy with my cable length), the extra two meters would have been helpful in some parking situations.

What is the experience of others on the forum?

One thing I noticed with this new HPWC (Asia/Australia model) is that my cable is approx 5.5m long. The manual still states 7.6m... curious if this was done on purpose such as for a statutory requirement. The electrician did not cut it back. While not a big deal (I'm happy with my cable length), the extra two meters would have been helpful in some parking situations.

No idea - haven't measured it. It reaches both parking spots easily.

Just measured mine 7.6 to the end of the tip.......but there will be a replacement unit delivered sometime next year so length may only be a temporary problem.

Reading through this thread many future owners are installing 20 amp, 30 amp + circuits for home charging. The US Tesla website talks about 8 hours charging at 240 volts on 10 amps. Given I do not have dual chargers, it appears to me that I can install the charger on the standard 10 amp circuit. Upgrading to a higher amp rating would serve no purpose. Any advise would be most welcome. Is it workable to install the charger in my standard home electric circuit?

Ascientist,

Good question. I think each charger (in the car) does up to 10kW, so to max it out you need 240v by 40 amps:

V * A = W
240 * 40 = 9600W or 9.6kW.

A 85kW batter pack is then going to take about (over) 85/9.6 = 9 hours to fully charge.

At 10 amps you would be looking at 36 hours... Even at 10amps you'll still be required to have a dedicated circuit as it will likely draw slightly over 10amp so not suitable for a GPO. (Just guessing, I am not an electrician)

Ascientist,

Good question. I think each charger (in the car) does up to 10kW, so to max it out you need 240v by 40 amps:

V * A = W
240 * 40 = 9600W or 9.6kW.

A 85kW batter pack is then going to take about (over) 85/9.6 = 9 hours to fully charge.

At 10 amps you would be looking at 36 hours... Even at 10amps you'll still be required to have a dedicated circuit as it will likely draw slightly over 10amp so not suitable for a GPO. (Just guessing, I am not an electrician)
you forgot to add 10-20% in charger losses but you will rarely be charging from dead flat empty.. the i-miev with a 16kwh battery takes around 8 hours to charge from 10amps. actually most cars do a really good job at limiting their charge current when told to by the EVSE and its likely if you use a 10 amp EVSE it will charge at 9.6 amps.

i know a sparkie in Sydney who owns a leaf so cluded into all the EV stuff i can send you his details if advertising isn't allowed on the forum

you forgot to add 10-20% in charger losses but you will rarely be charging from dead flat empty.. the i-miev with a 16kwh battery takes around 8 hours to charge from 10amps. actually most cars do a really good job at limiting their charge current when told to by the EVSE and its likely if you use a 10 amp EVSE it will charge at 9.6 amps.

i know a sparkie in Sydney who owns a leaf so cluded into all the EV stuff i can send you his details if advertising isn't allowed on the forum

Yeah - I didn't. Just over simplified.. Also, I seem to get 249V so probably do come closer to max it out :)

Mine is also about 7.6m.

Hi mhh, here is the wall connector with hanger installed now.

No, waiting for proper hanger. Will install once it arrives.

Also, forgot to mention that I had the location pre-wired for 3 phase so that it can be easily upgraded when the new wall connectors arrive next year.

Wall Connector 5.jpg

That is a MUCH MUCH nicer set up than any of the others I have seen so far. I guess the electrician was able to run all the cables behind the cable so it looks nice and tidy instead of an industrial looking installation. I'm guessing a lot of people though just have bricks in their garage so this wouldn't work.

In my case (and I think all others) I was asked by email to participate in an evaluation program (evaluating issues surrounding installation and network supply/stability etc) and confirmed my address at that point.

In any case I would expect the delivery team would contact you by email to alert you that something was on the way.

They would have to send you the charger some time before the car arrived so you can get the wall charger installed. If you want to contact Mitchel (who looks after the power units) I will PM you his email.

Nice.

A question or two....I put my Adelaide address on the order for accessories and my Sydney address for the car. Where will the charger be sent if I say nothing more? Do the wall charger come long before the car?

Adelaide.

Hard to say, most of the installations so far are for Signature orders and people in the Wall Adapter validation process.
The current wall adapter is the Hong Kong \ China model that will be replaced when an official Australian model is developed.
Once the process is worked out completely I think it's the intention to supply the wall charger before delivery but it may be complicated by the validation process.

Last edited: