Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joh suggested that it would be great for Model S owners have a network of wall connectors mapped so that we can drive long distances until supercharger network is set up. Can anyone think of any dollar value based on kilometre recharge if we decide to share to cover the cost of electricity? $1-$2 per 10kms?

I checked the US Tesla site. See Model S Top 5 Questions answered - Last question - How much can I save? - Based on peak costs of $0.25c per Kwh for 5000 miles (8000km) the cost to charge a Model S is $364 or under $0.05 per km

Using the same page on the US Tesla site, you can compare your current ICE vehicle fuel cost to a Model S.

If your current car uses 11.5 litres per 100km at the current E10 Sydney price of 159.9c per litre (which converts to 20 MPG at 6.05 per US gallon) the cost to drive 8000km would be over $1500

Using the same peak electricity costs of $0.25c per Kwh as I mentioned above, the Model S cost is $364. A saving of over $1100 per 8000km.

If you use solar or off peak electricity, the cost saving is even greater

Using the same page on the US Tesla site, you can compare your current ICE vehicle fuel cost to a Model S.

If your current car uses 11.5 litres per 100km at the current E10 Sydney price of 159.9c per litre (which converts to 20 MPG at 6.05 per US gallon) the cost to drive 8000km would be over $1500

Using the same peak electricity costs of $0.25c per Kwh as I mentioned above, the Model S cost is $364. A saving of over $1100 per 8000km.

If you use solar or off peak electricity, the cost saving is even greater

Except that peak electricity costs here are $0.55.... And varies around the country. In NSW, peak is from 2pm to 8pm weekdays.

Except that peak electricity costs here are $0.55.... And varies around the country. In NSW, peak is from 2pm to 8pm weekdays.

Yes, I gather that everyone has their own pricing structure with electricity. Just use the scale at the USA Tesla site to calculate your own savings

I was just using my own electricity cost. I am charged a flat rate of $0.246c per kilowatt hour 24 / 7 at my unit block for approx the first (1700-1800) kilowatt hours per quarter from Origin

Yes, I gather that everyone has their own pricing structure with electricity. Just use the scale at the USA Tesla site to calculate your own savings

I was just using my own electricity cost. I am charged a flat rate of $0.246c per kilowatt hour 24 / 7 at my unit block for approx the first (1700-1800) kilowatt hours per quarter from Origin

Ausgrid/Energy Australia pricing has two options - regulated (Domestic All time) and time of day. Details below. 2000kWh per quarter is 22kWh per day. Controlled load is used for off peak Hot water.

Residential Tariff
Domestic All Time
First 1,000 kWh per quarter* cents/kWh
24.9000 plus GST=27.3900

Next 1,000 kWh per quarter*
26.3800 plus GST=29.0180

Remaining usage per quarter
28.4800 plus GST =31.3280

Controlled Load (Only available with a principle tariff)

Off Peak 1
10.2500 plus GST =11.2750

Off Peak 2
13.4800 plus GST =14.8280

PowerSmart Home (Time of Use)

Peak 2pm – 8pm on business days
47.7700 plus GST =52.5470

Shoulder 7am – 2pm on business days 8pm – 10pm on business days 7am – 10pm weekends and public holidays
19.8600 plus GST =21.8460

Off Peak - All other times
11.9700 plus GST = 13.1670

Controlled Load: Applicable to electricity which is separately metered and controlled by Ausgrid and used for operating storage water heaters, thermal storage space heaters, and other approved fixed wired appliances.

The EA030 Controlled Load 1 price is available for supply that is usually available for a six hour duration between 10.00 pm and 7.00 am.

The EA040 Controlled Load 2 price is available for supply that is usually available for sixteen hours including more than 6 hours between 8pm and 7am and more than 4 hours between 7am and 5pm.

NOTE: 1

Ausgrid reserves the right to vary the switching times of any of the above mentioned loads at its discretion. Controlled Load prices can only apply when a correctly connected and operative load control device is controlled by Ausgrid. Ausgrid’s load control relay MUST NOT be electrically bypassed or removed without the written approval of the Executive Manager ‐ Network Regulation and Pricing. If the Load Control Relay is incorporated into the meter, that meter must not be removed without Ausgrid’s approval.

I checked the US Tesla site. See Model S Top 5 Questions answered - Last question - How much can I save? - Based on peak costs of $0.25c per Kwh for 5000 miles (8000km) the cost to charge a Model S is $364 or under $0.05 per km

It it seems that calculating the cost based on KwH draw would make the most sense. In the early days it seems that single phase (and thus single charger only) 32A @ 240v would draw about 7.68 KwH. Assuming $0.25 per KwH purchase price, that would equate to approx $2.00 per hour of charge

Joh suggested that it would be great for Model S owners have a network of wall connectors mapped so that we can drive long distances until supercharger network is set up. Can anyone think of any dollar value based on kilometre recharge if we decide to share to cover the cost of electricity? $1-$2 per 10kms?

There is an official walkthrough video of the Model S http://www.teslamotors.com/models/walkthrough which runs for around 28 min.

At around 7min 20 sec into the video, you see a picture of the Model S on the centre display with a battery power indicator below it which also displays remaining range in km's or miles

For example, with an 85 Kw battery, if the display shows the battery with half power left. Would it then need around 40-45 Kw to charge back to full if using max range?

You can then multiply this amount with your electricity usage charge (depending on the time of day to charge) to calculate a recharge cost (since each owner's power point or wall charger may operate at different Amps while recharging and the actual cost of electricity may vary)

When calculating charging cost, you also have to account for the charging efficiency. A good conservative estimate is 85% efficiency. In order to get 40kWh into the battery, you would have to take 47kWh (40 / 0.85) from the grid. Calculating $/km is more difficult because driving efficiency varies significantly.

Looking at Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors it would appear to be around 4.9km/kWh, with the most efficient being 3 phase 32A and the worst being 240v 16A, so there would appear to be a sweet spot for charging.

As an update at my place I have to upgrade quite a bit to get 32A single phase to the garage, which will be painful. I'll be getting a tax invoice for the upgrade that specifically mentions the car so that it can be come part of this years tax return.

I'm also hanging out to see what happens with 10A & 15A mobile charging - I'd expect that with the current testing going on there will be a modified UMC with a 10A plug sooner rather than later.

Had an overnight visitor last night that was big, blue, very quiet and only asked for a few kWh as a bedtime snack.

As part of the charger validation program the Sydney Model S was dropped off by Mitchell last night and picked up again this morning. The car picked up about 130kms of range as was set to only charge at 10A from the car screen even though wall connector was set to 32A.

Still not an opportunity to drive the car personally, though Mitchell kindly took me for a drive around this morning including dropping in on a fellow Tesla fan (my electrician friend that installed the wall connector).

Had an overnight visitor last night that was big, blue, very quiet and only asked for a few kWh as a bedtime snack.

As part of the charger validation program the Sydney Model S was dropped off by Mitchell last night and picked up again this morning. The car picked up about 130kms of range as was set to only charge at 10A from the car screen even though wall connector was set to 32A.

Still not an opportunity to drive the car personally, though Mitchell kindly took me for a drive around this morning including dropping in on a fellow Tesla fan (my electrician friend that installed the wall connector).
Pretty isn't she? Was at my place earlier in the week, but don't know how much she took.

Got mine installed yesterday. It's done with custom steel capping and metallic charger holder (first photo is of what a generic install might look like). Can't wait for the Melbourne car to come and give it a try!

charger unfinished.jpg
Charger in context.jpg
Charger side on.jpg

Done by a company called JET Charge, which I started with a friend of mine to install Tesla chargers :) We'll be fine tuning and bringing out more custom stuff, like brushed aluminium capping and isolator switch capping. :biggrin:

Got mine installed yesterday. It's done with custom steel capping and metallic charger holder (first photo is of what a generic install might look like). Can't wait for the Melbourne car to come and give it a try!

Done by a company called JET Charge, which I started with a friend of mine to install Tesla chargers :) We'll be fine tuning and bringing out more custom stuff, like brushed aluminium capping and isolator switch capping. :biggrin:

Very nice, and good luck with the business!

Several times lately I've seen confirmation as to why there is this derating as indicated in the DIP switch table above. In the US the National Electric Code considers Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) to be a continuous load, which means the supply to the equipment must be rated 125% of the EVSE nameplate rating.

Our AS/NZS 3000 does not mention this but most that I've read about local requirements points to the use of IEC 61851 for EVSEs.

Last edited: