Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone got any information on HomeLink in Australia?

Was it omitted the same as the browser?

I'd love to be able to open my gate/garage without relying on remotes, especially once they have the software ready for the car to park itself.

DBorn did a bit of research on this last year.

See Tesla in Australia? - Page 96

Yeah, I read through that thread (took me a long time), thanks for linking to the specific page.

My Range Rover had a HomeLink option (though I didn't end up getting it) in the form of buttons on the rear view mirror, so it's physically possible. Just seems to be "one of those things" - like Netflix and such :)

Perhaps with the car running on Linux, there is a way to access these features "unofficially"...

Home link simply are not in this market and there is strong resistance to even buying aftermarket in the States or Europe and importing. Pathetic! I too would much prefer it over using my old tech remote control.

For starters the frequencies used by the doors are different, and the encoding is also different. Even if you had a HomeLink module in the car it wouldn't be able to operate the door. Many countries licence different parts of the spectrum to different applications - eg the key fob in our cars and European ones are different to the U.S. versions - different frequencies.

I wonder whether the hardware is actually installed in our cars, but not activated. A bit like the 40 - 60 KW battery thing, or the supercharger hardware. I am fairly sure a browser lurks there somewhere and could be activated except for regulations here.

- - - Updated - - -

For starters the frequencies used by the doors are different, and the encoding is also different. Even if you had a HomeLink module in the car it wouldn't be able to operate the door. Many countries licence different parts of the spectrum to different applications - eg the key fob in our cars and European ones are different to the U.S. versions - different frequencies.
True about the frequencies, but home link Europe uses the same frequencies we do at 433. Same as the fob.i think the other frequency is 318 but that could be wrong. Actually some controllers in this country are on the lower frequency.

I wonder whether the hardware is actually installed in our cars, but not activated. A bit like the 40 - 60 KW battery thing, or the supercharger hardware. I am fairly sure a browser lurks there somewhere and could be activated except for regulations here.

- - - Updated - - -

True about the frequencies, but home link Europe uses the same frequencies we do at 433. Same as the fob.i think the other frequency is 318 but that could be wrong. Actually some controllers in this country are on the lower frequency.

The most common remotes these days are b & d tritrans that frequency hop every 22ms between 3 of them. Not sure what they are though but I'm not convinced homelink would talk to it.

I replied before, but it didn't come through oddly..

Range Rovers come with a HomeLink option here in Australia, with buttons on the rear view mirror. It's not exactly difficult to get to work, and I'd say the hardware is there just software disabled.

Perhaps some Linux tinkering is to ensue...

Fascinating, Tim. The research i did on this as an aftermarket option returned some VERY negative results and responses from both the manufacturer and various distributors in both the USA and Europe. They simply flat out refused to supply on any basis.

Do you actually have a Range Rover with this working? If you do, then I am definitely going to pursue the matter. What year model is your Rover? Need as much ammo as i can get. In fact, if I do pursue the matter, I will enlist the entire forum to assist. The more letters and pressure we apply, the greater the likelihood of success!

We were NOT given a rebate on the tech package to account for it's absence. I do suspect that you are right and that the hardware is there for the enabling. It is actually worth some money to me to get it up and running.

Follow up.
Went through the range rover web site, all models including build your own and could not find a homelink option there anywhere. So, if you have it, it must have been restricted since that time.

Last edited:
Fascinating, Tim. The research i did on this as an aftermarket option returned some VERY negative results and responses from both the manufacturer and various distributors in both the USA and Europe. They simply flat out refused to supply on any basis.

Do you actually have a Range Rover with this working? If you do, then I am definitely going to pursue the matter. What year model is your Rover? Need as much ammo as i can get. In fact, if I do pursue the matter, I will enlist the entire forum to assist. The more letters and pressure we apply, the greater the likelihood of success!

We were NOT given a rebate on the tech package to account for it's absence. I do suspect that you are right and that the hardware is there for the enabling. It is actually worth some money to me to get it up and running.

Follow up.
Went through the range rover web site, all models including build your own and could not find a homelink option there anywhere. So, if you have it, it must have been restricted since that time.

Homelink (tm) is a specific system running on specific hardware and in particular frequencies. Yes, there are other systems, and cars like Range Rovers and Mercedes have something that can learn your code and/or generate the required rolling code in Australia. But it won't be Homelink.

Thank you Tim. Indeed the product included in the Range Rover is HomeLink.
Folks,
here is my letter to Jerome Guilen just written. I would be much obliged if you all could write something in your own words to him.

Dear Mr Guillen

i have taken delivery of my Signature Model S and am extremely happy with it.

The one feature that is missing, however, and which is included in the European and English markets is HomeLink.

That is a feature that i would really want to have and is worth money to me - that is I am prepared to pay for it.

I wonder whether the hardware is not already in Australian cars, but simply not activated, analogous to supercharger hardware in the S 60.

While I understand that there may be an issue with this market from the point of view of the manufacturer of the product, Gentex, it seems that this is in fact, not an exclusive issue.

The Range Rover Evoque is available today, in this market Australia, with HomeLink as an option. One of your other owners here alerted me to this fact, as he had just purchased a vehicle with the option installed.

Here is a link for you you to confirm that fact for yourself. Build your Range Rover Evoque - Interior View

Homelink is shown at the bottom of the screen when you scroll.

I, and I am sure other, owners here in Australia, would greatly appreciate your seeing what can be done to allow activation of the feature in our vehicles. Even if this is at a cost.

Thank you very much for your consideration of the matter.

correction - need to click on the options sub tab and scroll to the bottom to see the HomeLink.

Reactions: Babbaloo
If you get Homelink re-activated in our Teslas, what are you going to control?

Homelink sensors or controllers aren't certified or available for the Australian market and if they are on 433Mhz and operate 'simply' (ie no rolling codes as suggested by Mark) then they will clash with existing devices that are licensed for that frequency. You will also have to import controllers (garage door, door locks', etc) for every device you want to control (all of them also using unlicensed frequencies).

To be useful it would have to be not Homelink but something like Zigbee (licensed 433MHz) or Z-wave as there are plenty of products available in our market - you could control the whole house: lights on, air-con on, TV turned on, .... Or, have a proximity device in the car (compatible lanyard, phone,etc) and utilize Z-wave, Ninja Blocks/Spheres, SmartThings, etc. Daniel's proximity setup with phone and Vera Z-Wave system would do the job - also Gabz pinging Pi as well (or Arduino). Maybe there is a Kickstarter project there, team, for a retail version that works with B&D's rolling code system as well as another standard.

My garage door and gate are on fixed code device. I believe that they are on 318 MHz. Set by DIP switch.
Regarding the other types of control you mention, I do not have the technical expertise to set them up. Do you know anyone in Sydney who does?

My garage door and gate are on fixed code device. I believe that they are on 318 MHz. Set by DIP switch.
Regarding the other types of control you mention, I do not have the technical expertise to set them up. Do you know anyone in Sydney who does?
Your systems must be quite old - I haven't seen those old remotes for a long time. The b and d controllers are all individually identified and registered to the controller - like a tesla fob..