Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you provide pics of the homelink label!
I ended up returning VW HomeLink back to seller once I found it doesn't work with Tesla. I spent some time on FCC website compering PCBs on both HomeLink's and visually hardware looked the same . My guess was Tesla uses some kind of handshake command to initialize it and could be AUDI/VW HomeLink firmware was different.

Last edited:
Here is another one on eBay: 2017-2018 AUDI S4 A4 HOMELINK GARAGE DOOR OPENER MODULE OEM 4M0907410A #115 | eBay

1648854473401.png

I did exactly what was outlined in this thread. I under l ordered from Canada, installed it myself, took install pictures.

I set up an appointment with my local SC and they said "where did this come from? Another Tesla or someone else?" I said it's from my previous model 3. They replied "sorry I checked with management and it's not possible to activate. You need to buy a new one". So I then applied for service again and offered I can stop by the SC for a short time just to get it activated and included pictures of the install. They replied again with a passive aggressive response "we already told you it can't be done. Confirmed with management. Buy a new one."

Now I'm kind of annoyed. Do I just need to wait until I actually NEED service and then while they're working just quickly request then to activate it too? I have no idea if I'll need service soon or in another year...

Any suggestions/advice?
Just out of curiosity which Canadian service center told you this.

BINGO, that's a ADHL5C. Both the Tesla A and B models are ADHL5D and I found a Audi/VW ADHL5D model: 2018 - 2022 AUDI MODELS GARAGE OPENER CONTROL MODULE OEM 4N0907410C

Looks like the C came out before D by a year or 2. It could even be a different pinout!
model number looks the same but different Gentex part number. Would be interesting to see if it works with Tesla. My guess is the homelink firmware is different and hence why different Gentex part numbers. I’ll be surprised if audi/vw and tesla share the same protocol.

model number looks the same but different Gentex part number. Would be interesting to see if it works with Tesla. My guess is the homelink firmware is different and hence why different Gentex part numbers. I’ll be surprised if audi/vw and tesla share the same protocol.
You might be right. I thought you had a hl5c which I would assume is different then hl5d since I got a hl5d I assume it’s the same as the tesla one but your right there might still be a firmware difference! We’ll soon find out. I’ll make sure to setup the mobile appointment at work instead of home so they don’t try to program the garage find it not working and turn it back off!

Ugh tried bringing this in today but afte. A confusing
I have’t found that to be true on my Model 3.

If I’m facing away from the house it will not open my garage door reliably. I wonder if the MY has it more centrally located?
There in almost the same spot. The model 3 actually has it right behind the bumper facia. The Y has it behind the facia and bumper bar. It’s sits in front of the front tub.

That may be fixable if the firmware is indeed different. Based on the pictures on the github page, the microcontroller is a pic24ep256gp. Debuggers / programmers appear to be pretty cheap for that microcontroller. So it might be possible to dump the firmware from a Tesla module and flash it to a VW module.

Also looking at the board for that HL5 module, it's clear that pin 4 is an extra ground. Not sure what pin 5 is going to, but probably same function as pin 4 on the HL4 module.

Last edited:
That may be fixable if the firmware is indeed different. Based on the pictures on the github page, the microcontroller is a pic24ep256gp. Debuggers / programmers appear to be pretty cheap for that microcontroller. So it might be possible to dump the firmware from a Tesla module and flash it to a VW module.

Also looking at the board for that HL5 module, it's clear that pin 4 is an extra ground. Not sure what pin 5 is going to, but probably same function as pin 4 on the HL4 module.
You only need gnd pos lin you don’t need other wires! Those are for cars that blink lights and stuff!

Weird I found the mount. But I cannot find the five pin connector anywhere. The only thing that looks remotely like it is this seven pin connector in the middle of the frunk pretty much directly underneath the latch and behind the button on the Frunk tub.

The car is built February 22
Somewhere I looked and I forget where it said Tesla model ylong range 2021 but being built in February 22 maybe it’s a 22 model.

Attachments

• F118341B-AE49-4C41-986D-B03CBC9A01B5.jpeg
    F118341B-AE49-4C41-986D-B03CBC9A01B5.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 110
  • 68767C79-2F2E-4FB5-8575-4E095285F170.jpeg
    68767C79-2F2E-4FB5-8575-4E095285F170.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 3879E142-2348-4469-AE8A-BC720A7D5435.jpeg
    3879E142-2348-4469-AE8A-BC720A7D5435.jpeg
    436.2 KB · Views: 147