Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found the connector types on mouser and making a plug-and-play 4 pin to 5 pin harness to hopefully use the older cheaper units from older model S/X. These units can be had off eBay for 50 dollars or less. If this works I may order a VW Homelink b/c they are even cheaper. Will have to wait a couple of weeks on the parts.

Hopefull if this works we can have kits for the model 3 that are way cheaper than the current prices.

I have found the connector types on mouser and making a plug-and-play 4 pin to 5 pin harness to hopefully use the older cheaper units from older model S/X. These units can be had off eBay for 50 dollars or less. If this works I may order a VW Homelink b/c they are even cheaper. Will have to wait a couple of weeks on the parts.

Hopefull if this works we can have kits for the model 3 that are way cheaper than the current prices.

You would still need Tesla to install the software, correct?

Oh really? Did you order mobile service? Did you just walk into the SC and talk to whoever came up?

How did you end up initiating it?

I scheduled an appointment at the SC for something else (panel adjustments) and when I walked in for my appointment I asked if they could install the homelink software as I had previously had a Tesla and a homelink and I installed it myself. And said I didn't want to pay $300 for a module I pulled off my old car.

Reactions: SirataXero
I scheduled an appointment at the SC for something else (panel adjustments) and when I walked in for my appointment I asked if they could install the homelink software as I had previously had a Tesla and a homelink and I installed it myself. And said I didn't want to pay $300 for a module I pulled off my old car.
Alright awesome. I guess I need to do the windshield wiper excuse. I'm wondering if I can just drive by a SC and ask them if they have 15 minutes to do it real quick. Haha. I don't want to apply for service from the same place that already denied me twice.

Installed the Homelink today. It was a pretty easy DIY. Now need to find an opportunity to get the config enabled. Secured using double-sided tape.

IMG_2993 Large.jpeg

Just like to report back, I did the self install and Brough it in for service and was charged nothing for the service. Great job on everything by the service center!
Awesome, thanks! The install was pretty easy. I'm taking it in for service on April 8th. Hope they don't turn me away like they did for my service request .

Did you specifically ask for service for this? Or did you go in for something else?

I should probably check it again does anyone know the old 4-pin pin mappings?
My suggestion is to reach out to: GitHub - nunojpg/homelink-explorer to see if they know. also take the FCC ID and look it up on FCC's website to see if there is a pinout!

From the github there should be 4 pins 12V, GND, LIN, and NotConnected but not sure the pinout! My hunch is it should work! as long as you didn't send 12V down the data (LIN) pin you should be fine!

HONESTLY if anyone with the older Teslas that use 4 pin could put a volt meter on the connector and find 12V and GND then you will be much safer poking at both the other 2 pins and testing both as LIN!

pull up an AUDI/VW wiring schematic, it should list 12V, GND, & Data/LIN/or something)

My suggestion is to reach out to: GitHub - nunojpg/homelink-explorer to see if they know. also take the FCC ID and look it up on FCC's website to see if there is a pinout!

From the github there should be 4 pins 12V, GND, LIN, and NotConnected but not sure the pinout! My hunch is it should work! as long as you didn't send 12V down the data (LIN) pin you should be fine!

HONESTLY if anyone with the older Teslas that use 4 pin could put a volt meter on the connector and find 12V and GND then you will be much safer poking at both the other 2 pins and testing both as LIN!

pull up an AUDI/VW wiring schematic, it should list 12V, GND, & Data/LIN/or something)
Yes, I have checked out the GIT hub and it looks like he only has the hl5 (new version) not the hl4 old version.

FYI I did try Audi/VW HomeLink on our Model Y and it did not work. I pulled out Tesla HomeLink and installed this. It looked identical and FCC ID was almost the same. Did not work.
1648836650388.png

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit