Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink pairing problems.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried setting the HomeLink transmitter in the Model S , but i would not succeed. I tried this with 2 types of garage doors.
• Chamerlain ( remote 84335EML ) 433.92
• Faac ( remote XT4 868 SLH LR ) 868MHz

I replaced the batteries in both remotes to try to configure the homelink, because this was ever mentioned on the Internet as a solution in case of problems. Also, all sync attempts took place in various locations in the Frunk . This might not help unfortunately .

The odd thing is when i try to pair the Chamerlain garage the car headlights make successful flash , but the console still then the message indicates that the link has failed. However, if another attempt is made to pair the remotes, and it is in the first step is (preparation , please be patient ) , the garage door then closes / opens . The home link transmitter can do so successfully control the gate , only the console displays a message that pairing is unsuccessful and is therefore not available in the menu .

To solve this, I had thought to place an additional receiver in parallel over my existing one. But I would love to hear , before proceeding with the purchase of two additional ( hopefully home link compatible ) receivers. Your experiences with types / brands.
My current preference is for CAME RE432 , it operates at 433.92 MHz and according CAME home link compatible.

Anyone have any idea :
• At what frequency the home link transmitter in am European (Belgium) model S work? 315MHz ; 433.92 MHz ; 868MHz ?
• With which brands of receivers / transmitters you have already achieved success stories ?
• Does anyone have experience with an additional receiver in parallel over an existing one? What type was it ?

I have two garage doors (completely different openers) and a gate. The gate is not rolling code, and pairs easily. One of the garage door paired easily as well, but the other one seems to be impossible.

I've gotten the troublesome one to work with Homelink in other cars, so I know it's possible, but I can't get the Model S to pick up the remote (lights never flash). No matter where in the frunk or very close to the nosecone I hold the remote.

I have two garage doors (completely different openers) and a gate. The gate is not rolling code, and pairs easily. One of the garage door paired easily as well, but the other one seems to be impossible.

I've gotten the troublesome one to work with Homelink in other cars, so I know it's possible, but I can't get the Model S to pick up the remote (lights never flash). No matter where in the frunk or very close to the nosecone I hold the remote.

Thank you for responding. Do you know the brand/type of the remotes of your working gate and garage? And the brand/type of the not working gate?
Maybe we can make a list from this data?

I also have the Chamerlain 84335EML remote (3-channel). I tried multiple times and at some point was able to program it but it would only work once from the touchscreen and then nothing.
So i bought a separate receiver module from chamberlain (and then discovered it came without a radio module, so had to buy that also).
this:
Radio module model 801221 / 041A5456B, 433.92 MHz - Chamberlain Do-It-Yourself Products
and this:
2-Channel Universal Receiver model 8002E - Chamberlain Do-It-Yourself Products

The problem now it that i need a 433.92 remote that can be read by the Tesla ad that is compatible with the receiver. I have a 433 mhz remote for a doorbell that i programmed in the Tesla homelink (for the nightrider sound). But this is not recognized by the Chamberlain receiver. Probably not the correct frequency. I tried all remotes that i have at home (for x10 and lighting) but none were on the right frequency for the chamberlain receiver.

Now looking online for the right remote... Tips welcome.

The continuation of the story...
After some research about homelink compatible receivers, I risked a guess to buy a Sommer 2-channel receiver (4796V001) for €49.
To program this receiver into the car i also needed a remote, to first couple the remote and the new receiver. After that, i was going to use the remote to program the car.
For this I chose a Sommer 4026 remote transmitter, 2-channel, 868 MHz (€26). Shipment on the two items was about €5.

I connected the receiver with a 12V DC power source, and the output of channel 1(N-O Relay) i placed in parallel over the push button to open the gate.
Then i linked my new remote with my just installed receiver, with a very simple push on a button.

Last step was to program the car. Opening the frunk for better reception of the signal and selecting the homelink setup in the car. Followed the steps on the screen.
Placed my remote in the front of the frunk and pushed the button, first try was successful, flashing lights.
Next step the Model S asked to push the button on the new receiver and push next on the screen. So i did.

The gate is now successfully programmed, and i can now use the buttons in the Model S to control the gate.

Next step is to buy an additional receiver for my other gate. To bad it's too far from my gate with the placed new receiver, because then i could have used the second channel of the receiver...

My search resulted that the 4796V001 (or 4796V000 -> same receiver without cables) is a rolling code receiver. Otherwise i would not have a safe feeling leaving my house, if it was a fixed code receiver.

Technical features:
  • Number of channels: 2
  • Frequency: 868,8 MHz
  • Code: rolling code
  • Rated voltage range: 12-24 Vac/dc ±20%
  • Temperature range: -20°C +55°C
  • Max. power consumption: 80 mA at 12 Vdc
  • Max. power consumption: 175 mA at 24 Vdc
  • Memory: 112 radio codes
  • Area of application: dry rooms enclosed on all sides
  • Dimensions: 109x40x32 mm
  • Weight: 55 g

My search resulted that the 4796V001 (or 4796V000 -> same receiver without cables) is a rolling code receiver. Otherwise i would not have a safe feeling leaving my house, if it was a fixed code receiver.

Technical features:
  • Number of channels: 2
  • Frequency: 868,8 MHz
  • Code: rolling code
  • Rated voltage range: 12-24 Vac/dc ±20%
  • Temperature range: -20°C +55°C
  • Max. power consumption: 80 mA at 12 Vdc
  • Max. power consumption: 175 mA at 24 Vdc
  • Memory: 112 radio codes
  • Area of application: dry rooms enclosed on all sides
  • Dimensions: 109x40x32 mm
  • Weight: 55 g

But it also supports fixed code. Less secure, but if that is the only thing that works from the Tesla....

But support of rolling code by Tesla would be the best solution.

Nicoo, I would be greatfull, if You help me to make the following work.
I have:
-Transmitter Sommer 4020 (version with of Sommer 4026 with four buttons)
-Receiver
4796V000

I can link transmitter with receiver. Tesla recogniezies the transmitter - blink lights, learning etc.
But when I use tesla homelink screen button there is no response of the receiver.
Your experience, pls.
Regards,
P.

Nicoo & All, that combination of Sommer 4020 Transmitter and 3 4796V000 Receivers work perfectly ! I recommend it too !
Dealing with tesla & homelink is all about to be precise and tricks (fresh transmitter battery, in frunk, etc).

Has anyone else had a problem with Homelink gate opening signal staying on too long, causing the gate to begin opening but stop? It's acts like the signal is sent to 'open' then immediately sent to 'stop'. There is nothing in the owners manual about adjusting the signal's send time, it would need to be about 1/2 of the time as current settings.

Has anyone else had a problem with Homelink gate opening signal staying on too long, causing the gate to begin opening but stop? It's acts like the signal is sent to 'open' then immediately sent to 'stop'. There is nothing in the owners manual about adjusting the signal's send time, it would need to be about 1/2 of the time as current settings.

I've only found this happens if I move the car after activation. Never happens if the car is stopped.

I've only found this happens if I move the car after activation. Never happens if the car is stopped.

That's interesting, the exact opposite tends to happens to us, go figure! Could this be a proximity problem? When we're coming down the driveway and 25' away it seems to work better, when we stop first and we are 10' away we have problems. How far away from the receiver do you stop and activate?

That's interesting, the exact opposite tends to happens to us, go figure! Could this be a proximity problem? When we're coming down the driveway and 25' away it seems to work better, when we stop first and we are 10' away we have problems. How far away from the receiver do you stop and activate?

I'm closer to the ten foot mark (the driveway is just a bit longer than the Model S). I stop in the alley just before the driveway.

I'm closer to the ten foot mark (the driveway is just a bit longer than the Model S). I stop in the alley just before the driveway.

Hmmm, I tried several distances with no luck, it's just a coincidence when/where it works properly. When this didn't work, I changed tactics and set a new code in the remote, then taught Homelink the new code first, finally using the car's (Homelink) signal to teach the gate receiver...no luck here either. FWIW, the gate receiver is GTO (Gates That Open) if anyone else has or had the same problem, please do chime in.

*UPDATE* Called Homelink, they gave two possible solutions, neither worked and it was determined that Homelink is only guaranteed to work with receivers listed on their website. GTO receivers are not guaranteed to work properly so there is nothing that can be done to remedy this problem. Bummer!

Last edited:
I cannot get the Homelink to recognize my Raynor Navigator remote so I can move on to the "learn" step of the motor. Firmware 6.2 and a just delivered P85D. I have held the remote at the T both inside and outside the frunk plus several other locations but the screen just keeps spinning and will not program.