Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, you can buy a "Type1 to Type2". cable to plug a HK spec Model S into a Type 1 (J1772) charging station.

Such a cable would be a rare and exotic beast (I won't say they don't exist, but I've never seen anybody selling them).

There's loads of type1->type2 cables, but those are the other gender: Type2 to plug into a socketed type2 station, Type1 to mate with the car.

Type1 charging stations have a tethered cable and are not intended to be used with another cable between that and the car. Type 2 charging stations can have a tethered cable, but another option described in the standards (and widely deployed) is to have a Type2 socket on the charging station to which the user attaches their own cable: Type2->Type2 or Type2->Type1 depending on their vehicle.

Regarding the special cable needed for charging a HK/AU/EU Model S with a Type2 Mennekes inlet from a Type1 J1772 station with a captive cable:

Steve West in New Zealand had one made.
Mobile charging for Australia - Page 10

DavidRM in Sydney also had one custom made in China.
Mobile charging for Australia - Page 7

The parts are all standard, but this is not a commonly needed configuration. Australia is one of the few markets that has existing J1772 and Type2 infrastructure.

Last edited:
Great stuff, miimura!

I love EVs, and personally I happen to have a Tesla Model S (Hong Kong). Since 95% or so of all charging stations in HK are 13A/230V (9 km/h charging), and the closest supercharger to me is about 30 km away, I am looking at any option.

Recently I was at a charger that had 1 J1772 and nothing else. At the time it was busy feeding a Nissan Leaf, but I want to be able to use those too.

I hate getting to a charging spot that I cannot use, just because of all these competing standards which are all basically the same: Establish a connection from charger to car, in order to transfer electrons.

So I need both ChaDeMo and J1772 adapters. I will wait for Teslas own ChaDeMo, but might as well get a J1772 any time soon!

Last edited:
Just found this connector from Guangzhou:

SAE J1772 (Type 1) to IEC 62196-2(Type 2) Extension Cord 32A for EV Charging in Type 2 Connector Cable from EV Charging (EVSE) for Sale

I will write them and ask if they can confirm it works for Model S or not.

Any of the members here who deal with Mainland often, who can help out how to best get it here? Maybe even drive past that factory and test whether or not it actually works?

Jpson Technology (Guangzhou) Co., Ltd.
Wan Yi Hua Xuan, Jinju Road, Haizhu District, Guangzhou
Tel: +86-20-29806909
Email: [email protected]

Price around 1300 HKD, maybe with a group buy we can get it down to 1000.

I realise maybe not that many will be interested in this type, as there aren't as many of them in HK - for those of you further away from a supercharger and who cannot charge at home - anyone interested?

I might very well be interested in a bunch of these and take them to Europe - as it seems it's a bit hard to find any there.

Such a cable would be a rare and exotic beast (I won't say they don't exist, but I've never seen anybody selling them).

There's loads of type1->type2 cables, but those are the other gender: Type2 to plug into a socketed type2 station, Type1 to mate with the car.

Type1 charging stations have a tethered cable and are not intended to be used with another cable between that and the car. Type 2 charging stations can have a tethered cable, but another option described in the standards (and widely deployed) is to have a Type2 socket on the charging station to which the user attaches their own cable: Type2->Type2 or Type2->Type1 depending on their vehicle.

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of the latter situation, but did not consider that it would not also work for the DITB's need. He will need a custom solution, as you point out.

GSP

Thanks for the correction. I was thinking of the latter situation, but did not consider that it would not also work for the DITB's need. He will need a custom solution, as you point out.

GSP

Maybe not a custom solution, but a ready-made cable (which are yet, hard to find)

I found a cable which seem to work (see above), and several people have also made their own cables/adaptors, or have had them made. The issue here is that you would be connecting a tethered charging station cable to another cable, rather than directly to the car. No matter what quality such cables/adapters would be, any technical problem (or even a fire) would for sure be scapegoated onto the cable/adapter of the non-J1772 car, regardless of what caused the problem.

With all these standards floating around, it's a disgrace that one at least cannot have a decent adaptor. For the good of all EVs, the more charging possibilities, the better for the entire community. Imagine if you couldn't SMS or call between iPhone - Android - Nokia and other standards? That would be quite annoying. I wish that all cars could use all chargers, and will attempt to make my car able to charge as many locations as possible.

A few days ago, I was in Maritime Square (Tsing Yi by the MTR). There are three spots, all of them have 13A (which for the Tesla requires a 3600 HKD cable - which I have). Then there is one single J1772 with a tethered cable - in other words, not a socket, but a cable with that "Moon Base Alpha" looking ray gun mounted at the end. At this location, which is right next the the entry/exit AND the parking warden, she told us "This is the first time I have seen any electric car try to charge here". Go figure. If no-one asks for charging, the infrastructure won't be made any better.

Last edited:
OK, admitted, J1772 chargers AREN'T really cutting edge technology, and AREN'T really widespread in Hong Kong. But there are some, and whilst the vast majority of charging points are 13A BS1363, J1772 offers an option for a higher speed in select places.

Is there someone who has Chinese plates on their Model S, who would like to volunteer to drop by that factory and test the adapter if it works or not? I still need to confirm they actually have a charger there, to test it on (awaiting reply).

It is not of the highest priority for sure, but I would like to add a J1772 adapter to my collection of adapters and cables.

Also, if these work properly, I could imagine the locations with J1772 could be persuaded to keep one for Model S owners to borrow - just so they can offer charging to other cars than just the Nissan Leaf and ... iMieu?

EDIT:

It seems this is originally custom built by SteveWest in New Zealand his his direct import Model S: #108

I'll see what they reply with - anyone else interested in such a cable?

Last edited:
Used charging at One Peking Road TST today. One charging space BEFORE entrance to carpark. Need to inform management who will unlock the protective railing and start the charging with his fob key. Thoughts of free parking were dashed when he said I needed to go to the schroff office to collect my parking ticket and pay the standard parking fee of $24 per hr (rising to $28 as of Jan 1). At least it's a protected space and they let me in even tho the carpark was full. Mode 2 and 13A socket available but only got 16A from mode 2. Also tried in star ferry with same result, I may need to check the setting in the car in case it has been turned down.

- - - Updated - - -

Also parked at Oxford House Carpark in Tai Koo yesterday. 2 spaces. Not coned off, 13A only but wide spaces. Charged next to an i3.

When will you get the cable? I am very curious to hear your results or even borrow it for testing - before I order one myself.
When will you get the cable? I am very curious to hear your results or even borrow it for testing - before I order one myself.

Sorry but it keeps saying

The following errors occurred with your submission
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

AppleFan, do you mean if we go to any IEC62196 connector with our Tesla in HK(installed by EV power or CLP or whoever), we get only 16A instead of 32A?? Is it really so and is there any particular reason for that??

Chargers in the car support three phase. Max 16A per phase, and max 40A per charger. So, if you use public, non-Tesla, IEC62196 single phase you will get 16A single charger, or 32A dual charger.

The Tesla Wall Connectors are modified to provide the power over all three phase lines, even for single phase boxes. So, you'll get 40A from those even with a single charger.

Used charging at One Peking Road TST today. One charging space BEFORE entrance to carpark. Need to inform management who will unlock the protective railing and start the charging with his fob key. Thoughts of free parking were dashed when he said I needed to go to the schroff office to collect my parking ticket and pay the standard parking fee of $24 per hr (rising to $28 as of Jan 1). At least it's a protected space and they let me in even tho the carpark was full. Mode 2 and 13A socket available but only got 16A from mode 2. Also tried in star ferry with same result, I may need to check the setting in the car in case it has been turned down.

- - - Updated - - -

Also parked at Oxford House Carpark in Tai Koo yesterday. 2 spaces. Not coned off, 13A only but wide spaces. Charged next to an i3.

One Peking Road and Oxford House car park added, thanks!

Chargers in the car support three phase. Max 16A per phase, and max 40A per charger. So, if you use public, non-Tesla, IEC62196 single phase you will get 16A single charger, or 32A dual charger.

The Tesla Wall Connectors are modified to provide the power over all three phase lines, even for single phase boxes. So, you'll get 40A from those even with a single charger.

Thank you Mark for your clarification. I was hoping this is not the case. Because this would mean, there is no medium public charging for people like me (owning a Tesla with no on board dual charger). All the public chargers (except those SC of Tesla) out there are either 13A or 16A, which would only supply 2.8KWh to 3.5KWh of juice per hour. So in the long run, when the public charging system is more well developed (more mode 2 chargers install around HK), it wouldn't mean much to us. That's kind of sad.

Of course, the way is open for an adaptor. A normal three phase type II cable modified to bring all 3 phase lines together into phase 1 at the wall end (with phase 2 and 3 open). That would provide the Tesla modification and be usable at a single phase 32A EVSE to give 32A for single charger cars.

It's a shame this is the case, did not know about this last year when I reserved my S85. Would definitely recommend dual chargers to new buyers. 16A is about 15km/hr and don't forget 13A wall sockets are limited to 10A (due to safety) which equates to 9km/hr in my experience.

markwj, I would certainly buy such an adaptor if it existed but I feel the market for such a device is tiny.

J1772 to Type 2 cable tested

Cable arrived and tested. Function as expect. I can charge at home carpark now:love:
IMG_6237.JPG
IMG_6238.JPG