Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I charge a US built Model S in Latvia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reports are that you simply need to apply 12VDC to the posts behind the nose cone, and the car's systems should -- within a minute -- begin charging the car, and recharging the 12V system. Use jumper cables and an existing car battery and you should be fine after a few moments of applying the voltage.

Thank you very much for your advices it really helped me!

I took apart the cover of the front trunk. Found the 12v battery. And after an acrobatic maneuvering inside the trunk was able to put 12v 7 ampere charger on both black and red outs of the battery :smile::smile: huray! In a second after i plugged the charger into an outlet the light in the trunk came on. Then in about 15 min. the mobile connector started to work and the charging went much faster.

tesla charging - YouTube

With my NEMA 14-50 40 amperes outlet it should fully charge in about 10 hours.

The next challenge is to activate 3g. :) But thats for tomorrow.

By the way, do all of you guys got just 1 key with the car?

Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Reports are that you simply need to apply 12VDC to the posts behind the nose cone, and the car's systems should -- within a minute -- begin charging the car, and recharging the 12V system. Use jumper cables and an existing car battery and you should be fine after a few moments of applying the voltage.

I am really suffering with the terminology here. Could you plz explain where the nose cone is? Just in case I need it in the future :)

This should help if you need to charge the 12V battery again in the future.

Procedure for exposing the nose cone charging lugs for the 12V battery

Please note that the procedure is different, depending on if you have bough a signature or general production model. Signatures have a small removable window and general production do not, so you need to remove the whole nose cone in one piece. Don't try this until you have read the entire thread above.

Last edited:
If Tesla is not able to contact the car (since you're on the wrong continent with regard to cell phone coverage) perhaps pulling out some fuses and waiting 20 mins then popping them back in could help? Also, if your car was delivered with the 4.1 firmware maybe you have the 12V battery issue? Try to attach an external 12V charger to the charging connectors (behind the nose cone) and see if that helps after some hours of charging? Please update how it goes!

Yes! Someone has done this mod (amber rear turn signal)??? Could you please either tell me here how this was done or PM me?
Thanks!!!

They didn't mod the rear lights. They have added new rear amber turn lights to a new Hole Ine the rear bumper.

Owner is ferdinand-motor.no.

On the other side, I have been thinking of this connectivity issue for the car - as it is AT/T based.

In Norway i could buy a 3G enabled router to Connect to the car (power) and get a hotspot. Can you do that In Latvia?

Also, as for what I remember, AT/T provides a signal booster for people without phone coverage, that connects to your router and basically gives you your own 3G/phone service.

Could you Connect a router to power on your Tesla, then set it up to use a VPN service to get a US IP adress, so that the connected AT/T 3G/phone enabling device would create a phone betwork for your car to Connect to and use the normal services availible?

Like this:

Internet <-> router w/VPN <-> AT/T signal device <-> car

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

Yes! Someone has done this mod (amber rear turn signal)??? Could you please either tell me here how this was done or PM me?
Thanks!!!
Here is a pic of the mod. You can see the additional lights.
BDIS_TOCEAEn1Km.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I might have to do the same. But first I was thinking about changing a bulb. You see there is a part of the turning light that is tranperent. And the bulb itself is red. Plus there is a second part where the glass is red. I was thinking about actually changing a bulb to yellow and turning off completely the red part of the turning light.

Here is a pic of the mod. You can see the additional lights.
BDIS_TOCEAEn1Km.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It took me a while, plus I got to know about charging connectors (behind the nose cone) after I've finished :) But its all working now. I have more details in another thread.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14003-Charging-Model-S-after-shut-down

If Tesla is not able to contact the car (since you're on the wrong continent with regard to cell phone coverage) perhaps pulling out some fuses and waiting 20 mins then popping them back in could help? Also, if your car was delivered with the 4.1 firmware maybe you have the 12V battery issue? Try to attach an external 12V charger to the charging connectors (behind the nose cone) and see if that helps after some hours of charging? Please update how it goes!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice. Thats what I defiantly gonna try next.

But you know what the funny thing is? My maps, navigation, browser, and internet radio aren't working because there is no internet. BUT I do have a reception of all 5 sticks and my firmware just updated. Which I find very weird cause I don't think that Tesla is paying for the roaming to Latvia :) It might have downloaded while the car was still in US and just installed here....

They didn't mod the rear lights. They have added new rear amber turn lights to a new Hole Ine the rear bumper.

Owner is ferdinand-motor.no.

On the other side, I have been thinking of this connectivity issue for the car - as it is AT/T based.

In Norway i could buy a 3G enabled router to Connect to the car (power) and get a hotspot. Can you do that In Latvia?

Also, as for what I remember, AT/T provides a signal booster for people without phone coverage, that connects to your router and basically gives you your own 3G/phone service.

Could you Connect a router to power on your Tesla, then set it up to use a VPN service to get a US IP adress, so that the connected AT/T 3G/phone enabling device would create a phone betwork for your car to Connect to and use the normal services availible?

Like this:

Internet <-> router w/VPN <-> AT/T signal device <-> car

Thanks for the advice. Thats what I defiantly gonna try next.

But you know what the funny thing is? My maps, navigation, browser, and internet radio aren't working because there is no internet. BUT I do have a reception of all 5 sticks and my firmware just updated. Which I find very weird cause I don't think that Tesla is paying for the roaming to Latvia :) It might have downloaded while the car was still in US and just installed here....

There Are two separate connections. One "Administration connection" (probably to also be able to track the car abroad if stolen? ++) and one user connection for all other. User one will be optional later on.

On the other side - the US Model S In the store In Oslo uses the rear headlights, the white part inside the red ring as turning lights.
The car is currently crashed, but it will be fixed before March. I will go there and grab a few photos and a video for you when its fixed. You might get some inspiration for yours. I an positive one do not have to add separate lightning to get it approved for plates.

Please PM me if there is anything i might do to help you, either with the VPN solution or other stuff.