Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I charge a US built Model S in Latvia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The AT&T 3G Microcell will not work. It has a GPS antenna that determines its location and confirms whether or not you're in an AT&T-covered area. It will refuse to start services if it is outside AT&T's coverage area.

In addition, you need the phone number assigned to the car's SIM to register it with the AT&T Microcell service, and Tesla won't disclose it (although if you can get access to the diagnostics screens, you could see it).

So I don't think that's going to work without some significant hacking.

The AT&T 3G Microcell will not work. It has a GPS antenna that determines its location and confirms whether or not you're in an AT&T-covered area. It will refuse to start services if it is outside AT&T's coverage area.

In addition, you need the phone number assigned to the car's SIM to register it with the AT&T Microcell service, and Tesla won't disclose it (although if you can get access to the diagnostics screens, you could see it).

So I don't think that's going to work without some significant hacking.

Didn't know About the GPS part.
I'll look more into this.

About SIM that is not needed as I meant he should get a secondary som for the AT/T hotspot (as I remember it serves multiple phones).
Anyhow, one can buy these devices from Huawei as generic devices and configure them as you'd like.

I have done that before so that some friends of us could get Norwegian cell service without the roaming cost In their summer home In Spain.

Generic devices Are not GPS based, but allow access or not to the server based on IP.

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

Yes! Someone has done this mod (amber rear turn signal)??? Could you please either tell me here how this was done or PM me?
Thanks!!!

Here's a new pic from today where you see the ugly fake rear amber lights added to the Car owned by Ferdinand motor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21361308997.451399.jpg

Tapatalkin' from iTalatut...

I'd love to see a blog post about this. Not something fancy. Just a quick note from George acknowledging that someone from Latvia wanted the car so badly that a way was found.

It's an easy PR thing and maybe they could throw the owner some love with a signed something or other.

I'd love to see a blog post about this. Not something fancy. Just a quick note from George acknowledging that someone from Latvia wanted the car so badly that a way was found.

It's an easy PR thing and maybe they could throw the owner some love with a signed something or other.

I'd be surprised if this is going to happen. Tesla service personnel has been instructed to not help anybody exporting a US model. Not even when paying for it. If you read your agreement it clearly states that your warranty is void if the car leaves North America. (Wasn't there even some discussions about Mexico?).

I hope that they change their minds about it. On the other hand if they do they might open up the doors for some unwanted grey imports.

Tesla service personnel has been instructed to not help anybody exporting a US model.
Acknowledging the passion and respecting it after the fact is quite different from assisting in the act.

Also, I suspect the noted instruction is related to legal implications so Tesla is just protecting itself. That's just an opinion though.

IMAG0588.jpg

Going to customs. If everything goes as planned, I'll have temporary plates tomorrow. And on 22 will be able to drive the car to the dealer that going to do EU certification for good.
Its still very snowy here and I haven't got winter tires. Gonna order them for the next season though.

It was a problem for me from the very beginning. On one hand I really need advice and service in the future but on the other hand I keep reading about those mean ppl in Tesla which at best will take my car away and in worse shoot me dead when they find out that the car left North America :) I plan to finalise the registration process and try contacting Tesla service in Germany to find out their position on that subject.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the panel alignment is done well. Actually I wanted to bring one to Europe as well, but than I realized the US model will not support 3-phase charging. So I drop that idea. Don't you have a 3-phase in Latvia too? Wil it not take much longer to charge the car now?

Yeah its been a problem. Basically at the moment I installed NEMA 14-50 outlet 1 phase 40amperes. It charged from 0 completely in 10 hours. I am upgrading it now to 50 amperes, so the full charge should be within 8 hours I suppose. I also have high power wall connector ordered and a twin charger installed. So when it comes I hope I can get the amperes even higher on 1 phase.
For the normal 220v outlet 12amp its a pain. The funniest thing is that by default the phase is in the right hole of the european outlet, and the mobile connector can't find ground and therefore not working. :) But if you plug it upside-down then its OK. Took my electrician a while to figure out :)

One thing I am not following is ... within the cars electronics, or in the cord? Using the UMC, does it automatically support the 50/60 cycle power? I didn't know it had a switching power supply; but power supplies usually also drop to secondary voltage. Not the case here. So how does it handle the hertz? (Did I phrase the question right?)

One thing I am not following is ... within the cars electronics, or in the cord? Using the UMC, does it automatically support the 50/60 cycle power? I didn't know it had a switching power supply; but power supplies usually also drop to secondary voltage. Not the case here. So how does it handle the hertz? (Did I phrase the question right?)

So far I only used mobile connector and yes it supports (its written on it actually) 110-250v 50-60hertz

Yeah its been a problem. Basically at the moment I installed NEMA 14-50 outlet 1 phase 40amperes. It charged from 0 completely in 10 hours. I am upgrading it now to 50 amperes, so the full charge should be within 8 hours I suppose. I also have high power wall connector ordered and a twin charger installed. So when it comes I hope I can get the amperes even higher on 1 phase.

Note that the car won't draw more than 40 amps over the mobile connector. So a larger circuit won't do you any good without a J1772 EVSE or the HPWC. Though, of course, your 14-50 should be on a 50 amp circuit for safety (and legality in the in US).

It was a problem for me from the very beginning. On one hand I really need advice and service in the future but on the other hand I keep reading about those mean ppl in Tesla which at best will take my car away and in worse shoot me dead when they find out that the car left North America :) I plan to finalise the registration process and try contacting Tesla service in Germany to find out their position on that subject.
Heh. Good luck and good motoring. We're with ya.

Note that the car won't draw more than 40 amps over the mobile connector. So a larger circuit won't do you any good without a J1772 EVSE or the HPWC. Though, of course, your 14-50 should be on a 50 amp circuit for safety (and legality in the in US).

I wasn't aware about 40amp limit on the mobile connector. Will try to get higher amp on high power wall connector once it arrives.

With European deliveries starting this year, how much time do you think you'll gain from doing this private import vs. just buying it from Tesla in Europe, with proper charging specs and service support?
As you might have heard, Europe consists of several independent countries. Unfortunately, Latvia is not one of those countries where Tesla will officially offer and support the Model S any time soon. Thus, presumably, there's not too much difference in buying it from the US or, e.g., from Germany... Although, admittedly, the charging part would have been easier with a European model.

OK, don't hate me but I have to ask...

That sounds like what, April? With European deliveries starting this year, how much time do you think you'll gain from doing this private import vs. just buying it from Tesla in Europe, with proper charging specs and service support?

When I started the process in September the European delivery dates weren't available yet. The dealer promised to bring it to Latvia by the end of December.
I am pretty sure that even if I placed an official order in September 2012 the car would't be here until the end of 2013. And that would be a waste of 2013 season for me :) I don't really plan to drive model S during winter in Latvia. I honestly don't mind the hustle knowing that I have a whole summer to enjoy the car. Model X will defiantly be ordered in EU :)