Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is a unexpected reboot of the touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I am brand New X owner.) Put in a destination for Navigation. Started driving but when I look down the touchscreen was black. (Everything else worked fine.) About a minute later the display came back to exactly where it was before. Just curious about how common this is.

Three days ago (this past Tuesday), had two (out of the blue) black screens and an involuntary reboot (MCU) along with some artifacts on the IC. Was not happy as at the time I was relying upon the MCU for navigation, and the artifacts obscured the speed of the car.

Have not yet had a recurrence. Last software update was... a week ago (last Friday).

Would characterize involuntary reboots as rare. Last happened I think right after the LTE retrofit. So... about a year ago.

(I am brand New X owner.) Put in a destination for Navigation. Started driving but when I look down the touchscreen was black. (Everything else worked fine.) About a minute later the display came back to exactly where it was before. Just curious about how common this is.

My touchscreen is requesting a reboot every 3 or 4 days now... and it keeps asking me to take it to TESLA for service...

I find the audio control has an X over it.. will not turn up by TS or steering control....

certainly becoming quite annoying....

ps.. you will find many A-holes here who simply think TESLA is not to be faulted for anything... it is a 'perfect" vehicle... along with God Elon.... avoid writing to anyone that holds stock in TESLA, Solar City or SpaceX... they are biased... and mean too...

you are aware of how to reboot each screen right?? this solves most of the issues at least temporarily

Last edited:
We wind up rebooting our screen about once every month or two. It's only gone completely black a couple of times, normally it just freezes.