Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AP2 X has recently been at the service center getting some issues taken car of. I was just told that they cannot replace the windshield under warranty because some ghosting is to be expected. My brand new loaner (100 miles on the odo when I got it) has NO ghosting, so it definitely appears to have been fixed.

How do we make this into a bigger issue so that Tesla at least admits that it's not normal?
I would suggest you park your X and the loaner facing each other but some distance apart, then ask your service advisor to seat in each - if he would still tell you that it's "within specs" then you try with another service advisor.

It appears that the only thing you can do about ghosting at this point is to have them perform the laser reflection test thing (and hope yours fails). Tesla has taken a stand that the results of that test are authorative and they won't budge. In my case, no matter what I tried, I could not get them to replace the windshield for free and eventually broke down and paid for it.
I was afraid of this. Perhaps I'll just wait until I get a chip in windshield then.

How much did you pay? I don't really want to pay what I assume is at least 2-3k.
Just had my windshield replaced because of a crack from a rock hit. I'd tried to get Tesla to replace the windshield because of ghosting and even worse distortion directly in my line of sight with no luck. A week later, a rock broke it. Parts and labor was $1,187.00 before tax. Unfortunately, NC isn't a $0 deductible for glass state, so I paid my $500 deductible.

Original windshield was 1034385-01-H, replacement was 1105964-00-B. No ghosting at all on new windshield and none of the visual defects that annoyed me with the original.

I received a 4995 mile - odometer Model X - 5 seater loaner for a few days, when my S was in the service department. Windshield was a 1034385-01-H and the night ghosting was horrible. The secondary ghosting wasn't so bad,but that tertiary image was just unnerving, when driving non a 6 lane divide highway (narrow esplanade),with several oposing cars on the opposite side approaching the subject. A sea of dancing and jogging lights, with what looked at times like a series of off road vehicles, with the lights atop the upper crossmember.

Thank you very much

FURY

BTW,

OT-My loaner "X" I referenced above had AP behavior that reminded me of the very first release of AP for my "S." Behaved very much the same, trying to take me off a freeway exit, weaving across the lane irregularly, etc..

Thank you very much

FURY

How much did you pay? I don't really want to pay what I assume is at least 2-3k.
Any recommmendations? I would think they have it in record that I’m consistentjly bringing up the issue. Thanks in advanced for the help!
I was charging at West Palm Beach service center today. I asked three technicians about the ghosting windshield. To my surprise, all three claimed that they had never heard about the complaint. I can't believe it given it seems to be a pretty busy service center.

I got a new 1105964-00-B yesterday. I haven't had a chance to drive very far and check it out, but ghosting seems to be much improved.

In dusk lighting, I could just make out some slight ghosting when concentrating really hard. I would say the ghosting is reduced by something like 90%, and was quite acceptable. I'll try it out a bit more when it's dark, but I don't expect my conclusion to change. :)

Let's get this discussion back up and running. I read this entire thread. Took delivery of my X75D in August 2016.
My windshield is 1066747 01-B and has terrible ghosting. It is an AP1. So when I read that some people thought this batch was the solution, I was like....uh...no.

Is it true that the "known" fix of replacing with the 1105964-00-B part will not work for AP1 cars? Nobody has really confirmed this.

Has anybody with an AP1 car that has ghosting gotten a replacement windshield that solved the ghosting issue? And if so, what part number worked for you?

I can confirm that this windshield, which was replaced by Tesla for us in October, solved ghosting in our AP1 car. VIN 29xx
Our windshield is now perfect.

fullsizeoutput_3927.jpeg

Reactions: Cowby
The "B" windshield has a much more fun effect than ghosting. Spotlights shine from headlights at certain angles. It's either straight up into the sky or horizontal across the windshield. Hard to get the right angle, but happens with certain hues of light at the right height in the windshield. No ghosting though, so I supthats an improvement.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby