Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any solution for AP1 cars in place?
Do I ask for the 1105964-00-B windshield or something else?

The ghosting is bad in my X, together with shady wipers it makes it feel like an old used car done 150.000 miles. Blurry and uncomfortable. The service centers here in Norway still claim there’s no solution to the ghosting problem.

Reactions: Cowby
Hm, you dont like the wipers on the X? I was under the impression that they had cute little nozzles attached to them that made awesome slo-mo footage. J/K, but not really. Ur the first Ive heard of complaining about the wipers...
I’ve seen lots of complaints, especially in Norway. Very easy to find.
My X actually has the best working wipers of the x’es I’ve tested.
The worst one just smeared the window so badly that it wasn’t road safe.

Anyways - would be grateful to hear about ghosting solution for AP1 car. I’ve asked my SC about getting the 00-B part?

My wife brought the X (AP1) in for servicing this morning and mentioned that we wanted the windshield ghosting fixed.
According to the Springfield NJ tech there is no fix and never was and ghosting is just the price we pay for a contoured windshield. In any case every windshield he has ever seen was within specs.
Any ideas on how to proceed?

My wife brought the X (AP1) in for servicing this morning and mentioned that we wanted the windshield ghosting fixed.
According to the Springfield NJ tech there is no fix and never was and ghosting is just the price we pay for a contoured windshield. In any case every windshield he has ever seen was within specs.
most car companies, and i wouldn't put tesla past it, give worse service and BS way more to women. it's a sad unavoidable fact.

if a man walks in for service he will end up paying less than a women because they think women aren't as knowledgeable on the product/car and add all sorts of extra service and cost which is pure stupidity and taking advantage of somebody. :( they would also expect your wife to not know anything about this "ghosting issue".

all your wife has to do is show them this thread and call them out. i've done the same thing with another problem i was having and they looked into it right away...

Reactions: Cowby
I just had the same experience recently. I was told that the ghosting is an expected ratification of a curved windshield. Very disappointed. Might try a different service center.

I just had the same experience recently. I was told that the ghosting is an expected ratification of a curved windshield. Very disappointed. Might try a different service center.

Which service center told you that? Just for the record, I was told like everyone else that my windshield was within spec even though the loaner I had had no ghosting.

Which service center told you that? Just for the record, I was told like everyone else that my windshield was within spec even though the loaner I had had no ghosting.
This was at the Dedham MA service center. It’s the second time I’ve been told the same thing. The Model X I had for an overnight test didn’t have any ghosting either

I should probably try and find an X that has no ghosting so that at least I'll have something to compare it to.

You might find @Ruffles below useful:

Had a discussion about my windshield with my service center. They did the reflection test and it passed just fine but I refused to accept that. I had them point the loaner X (that had no ghosting) at my X across the parking lot with the high beams turned on and showed the service manager my issues. He was able to sit in both cars and compare. He agreed it was very bad and said he would replace the windshield anyways and is now in the process of getting approval. As for part numbers, he said they can only get whatever is the current part in the system. They can't order specific part numbers.

My AP2 X has recently been at the service center getting some issues taken car of. I was just told that they cannot replace the windshield under warranty because some ghosting is to be expected. My brand new loaner (100 miles on the odo when I got it) has NO ghosting, so it definitely appears to have been fixed.

How do we make this into a bigger issue so that Tesla at least admits that it's not normal?

My AP2 X has recently been at the service center getting some issues taken car of. I was just told that they cannot replace the windshield under warranty because some ghosting is to be expected. My brand new loaner (100 miles on the odo when I got it) has NO ghosting, so it definitely appears to have been fixed.

How do we make this into a bigger issue so that Tesla at least admits that it's not normal?
You cannot make this a bigger issue because technically the windshield is within spec. The Federal laws dictate how much ghosting is acceptable. You can ask Tesla to check your windshield, but odds are that it passes because the Federal laws are so lax. I can't believe that these laws allow for such bad ghosting to be deemed acceptable.

You have 2 options:
(a) Write to your government to complain about these lax laws
(b) Ask Tesla nicely to test/replace your windshield, and hope they'll do it out of goodwill.

Please note, there have been a few rare cases where the ghosting is so bad it's outside of the government-imposed limits, and Tesla has indeed replaced those windshields under warranty. First step is to have Tesla measure your ghosting to see where it lies.

It appears that the only thing you can do about ghosting at this point is to have them perform the laser reflection test thing (and hope yours fails). Tesla has taken a stand that the results of that test are authorative and they won't budge. In my case, no matter what I tried, I could not get them to replace the windshield for free and eventually broke down and paid for it.

My mid-September '17 build X100D does not have any ghosting. I had an X P90D loaner for the past two days with a 2016 delivery date - the ghosting on that windshield was severe (the first time I've experienced it). I can see why everyone is complaining, and if it were my car I would absolutely push to have it resolved.

It appears that the only thing you can do about ghosting at this point is to have them perform the laser reflection test thing (and hope yours fails). Tesla has taken a stand that the results of that test are authorative and they won't budge. In my case, no matter what I tried, I could not get them to replace the windshield for free and eventually broke down and paid for it.

How much did you pay? I don't really want to pay what I assume is at least 2-3k.