Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How common is ghosting?

How is the ghosting in your Model X?

• Very noticeable both day and night

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • Noticeable both day and night

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Somewhat noticeable during the day, more noticeable at night

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • Noticeable at night

Votes: 40 20.3%
  • Somewhat noticeable at night

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Not noticeable

Votes: 81 41.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA just told me the following:

" I spoke with another parts advisor and he advised that your Model X requires a triple cam windshield and that is only provided by Windshield part numbers ending in letter H. The windshield ending in part number B could possibly be MONO CAM and that windshield would not work with your Model X. Your Model X has the new auto pilot 2.0 and requires a triple cam. Parts advisor only recommends windshield ending in part H for your Model X."

I'm assuming they're giving me incorrect info here based on everything I've read and the fact that I have a X100D AP2 loaner with the 00-B windshield? Anyone have experience on how to respond?

Just as you suspected this is BS. They certainly try to use the same windshield part that came with your car originally as replacements, but I have a car that came with -H windshield, had a -H replacement and then had the -B replacement.

Also since you already have a 00-B windshield on a loaner, you can show it to the SA as the real proof. I don't know why Tesla representatives are so dead set on spewing lies all the time. Part of the on-board training? Reminds me of the human-centipede South park episode a bit, I wonder why.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
What concerns me is that "we" are more knowledge than the technicians working on our cars who are supposed to be the experts and should have all the right info/tools/parts to service our vehicles. But that's the life of a Tesla owner... :)

Just as you suspected this is BS. They certainly try to use the same windshield part that came with your car originally as replacements, but I have a car that came with -H windshield, had a -H replacement and then had the -B replacement.

Also since you already have a 00-B windshield on a loaner, you can show it to the SA as the real proof. I don't know why Tesla representatives are so dead set on spewing lies all the time. Part of the on-board training? Reminds me of the human-centipede South park episode a bit, I wonder why.

Following back up here for others who may be experiencing similar things.

My SA double checked with a more senior/experience parts advisor and confirmed that I/we were correct (no surprise) and was able to place an order for the 1105964-00-B windshield. They said no guarantees this will improve the ghosting, but we're happy to swap this for you that's your preference. I gave them to green light to move forward -- will report back on the results.

When the SC wants to move quickly, they sure can. They were able to order the new 00-B part this morning, receive it and have it replaced this afternoon. It will be ready for pick up tomorrow once the adhesive sets. Curious how much better the ghosting will be...

Reporting back for others who may be considering/experiencing ghosting issues. I received the car back today and went for a drive this evening to test if 1105964-00-B resolved the problem. And I'm happy to report that is absolutely did! Based on the positive reports here for others who replaced their windshield with this specific part and the X100D loaner I had that was also flawless, there looks to be a good trend that this is resolution to this problem.

Many thanks to everyone here who provided the correct info to share with my SC.

Reactions: idleuser
I also want to gather any info on a solution for AP1 windshields. I got a rock chip about a year ago, but am waiting to replace it when there is reliable solution for ghosting.

I went through this thread and found this:

MX WSHLDASSEMBLY MONO-CAM HWAK4D-3 (1066747-01-C) 1

I am getting my windshield replaced for ghosting and asked my SA to make sure to order this one.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikevbf
I also want to gather any info on a solution for AP1 windshields. I got a rock chip about a year ago, but am waiting to replace it when there is reliable solution for ghosting.
argh! this just happened to me, but i have the nice non-ghosting "B" windshield. :( i got safelite to put their epoxy in it in hopes that it doesn't crack further but i don't feel like shelling out $1000-$1700 right now, i need winter wheels and tires! :)

Had a discussion about my windshield with my service center. They did the reflection test and it passed just fine but I refused to accept that. I had them point the loaner X (that had no ghosting) at my X across the parking lot with the high beams turned on and showed the service manager my issues. He was able to sit in both cars and compare. He agreed it was very bad and said he would replace the windshield anyways and is now in the process of getting approval. As for part numbers, he said they can only get whatever is the current part in the system. They can't order specific part numbers.

i'm going to play devil's advocate so bear with me @verygreen :)

is it not possible with how quickly Tesla is changing that they could phase out or get rid of some older part #'s thus rendering this part # useless?
While this is possible, that does not mean there cannot be multiple current part numbers available. They are able to choose between those so "we cannot order a specific part number" is a lie. If they said "we can no longer order part XXX because we don't have any stock and it's discontinued", that would have been another story.